Forum
SEARCH FORUM:
Facebook
Twitter
Googleplus
Joy__C
Style_council
Joy__C

for senior prom this year, mum is refusing to buy me a dress because “i’ll only ever wear it once, and its a waste”

so if she still refuses to buy me one, i need ideas on outfits i can wear to prom this year. and i REALLY want to go. its my senior prom.. so i am determined to go
i had a short dress last year so i want a long one this year.

any ideas on what i could wear if mum doesn’t get me a dress?

im still hoping she changes her mind. But at this stage, she isn’t.

HELP!!!

posted about 3 years ago
patlaenz
Style_council
patlaenz

keep asking her,talk talk till the point she have to say yes…say you will wear it for an other special occasion you have comming(lie)haha

posted about 3 years ago

missrachelphipps
Style_council
missrachelph...

I had problems finding a dress for mine so I have settled for a really plain black one that I’m going to accessorize. Do you already have a black dress you can accessorize up? Or you could argue that if she gets you a black dress it is timeless and you can wear it all the time!

posted about 3 years ago

crystaldots
Style_council
crystaldots

That totally sucks, but hope she changes her mind. Some parents say that they won’t and then last minute they surprise you with a yes! But, I see that Charlotte Russe & Forever 21 are kind of upping their game with prom dresses…. BUT, the thing is most of them are short (and really short,too!).

If u live in Downtown LA, they have prom dresses (ranging from long to short to poufy to plain)! Hopefully that helps… : ).

- Crystal

posted about 3 years ago

Necca
Style_council
Necca

Can you borrow from a friend? Or ask your friends to pool their money together and use it as your next birthday/holiday gift. Buy one from a thrift store/Goodwill and alter it to your liking. It’s cheaper and you get exactly what you want.

posted about 3 years ago

Joy__C
Style_council
Joy__C

if mum still isn’t buying me one. i have a friend’s long black dress i could borrow.
its just a plain strapless long black dress. from what i can remember, it MIGHT have a few details on the bust.

how could i accessories that?

posted about 3 years ago

Gra
Style_council
Gra

Personally I think black and red look hot together. Can you see the shoes or are they hidden by the dress? If they aren’t maybe add some excitement to the outfit with red heels and a red clutch maybe?

posted about 3 years ago

crystaldots
Style_council
crystaldots

agree with Gra. Red and black CAN look great together. Oooooooh. You’d definitely stand out, too with some red hot lipstick!

posted about 3 years ago

PeachyPanda
Style_council
PeachyPanda

A strapless black gown is always chic for prom. You can go classic Audrey Hepburn with that and if you don’t like pearls, silver jewelry or a chunky statement necklace would fit too.

posted about 3 years ago

Necca
Style_council
Necca

Red lips for sure! Or fushia would be a pretty lip color. You can pair the black with turquoise jewelry too.

posted about 3 years ago

effervescentevelina
Style_council
effervescent...

I can see where your mom is coming from, prom dresses are like wedding dresses – you only wear them once or twice at most, haha.

Try going to thrift stores to find a long dress – the last time I went to a thrift store there were alot of fancy dresses for cheap. I actually brought my prom dress at jcpenney for around $20 and donated it afterwards.

posted about 3 years ago

Joy__C
Style_council
Joy__C

@Gra – from what i remember, the dress covered her shoes, but thats because shes slightly shorter than me.

I understand where mum is coming from too. haha. but i dunno, like, a part of me just really want to go too all these different store and try on dresses and then find the perfect dress.

and awwh thanks. girls! these ideas really help!! if I end up borrowing her dress I’ll definitely keep these tips in mind <3

posted about 3 years ago

kitschy_
Style_council
kitschy_

Awww, honey, I hope your mum comes around! I don’t know what your personal style is, but if you wanted a long dress (preferably in a dark jewel tone color or black), it’s something that you could use again. You could wear it to another prom, a night time wedding, or a formal event in college. Perhaps you can sell your mom on that?

I’m not sure where you live, but Lord and Taylor department store always has great deals on dresses and you get to use coupons, too. I used to work in there in college and there’s always a deal to be found. My sister got her prom dress for $20 at Loehmann’s a few years ago. Look in thrift stores, too. Just get it dry cleaned :]

But! If you decide to borrow your friend’s dress, go with bold and bright accessories. I agree with Gra – red & black is a hot combo. Or, go with metallics – gold, bronze, or silver shoes, bag/clutch. You can wear some big bangle or cuff bracelets, or chandelier earrings. Even a cocktail ring. Look for stuff that accentuates your style. It’s prom – so make it larger and brighter. Look at it this way, you’ll also want it to photograph well because you and your friends will be snapping pictures all night.

I hope that helps!

posted about 3 years ago

xenii
Style_council
xenii

I live in Australia, and right now a trend my way for formals or as you call it proms is having an extra nice flowy maxi dress. You can get them from ebay( most of them are from china and they are made by hand but the one I was looking at for my formal was made beautifully even though it was cheap). Another option could be for you to get one of those long flowy dresses that aren’t too glamorous and you can wear again to a party or even everyday, dressed down with less makeup and more casual accessories. If I was you I would just buy a cheap, but timeless long dress that could be adjusted to a short dress after which you could wear to parties or clubbing. If it’s a timeless dress then you won’t be a style offender ;)
xoxo

posted about 3 years ago

Fashion27
Style_council
Fashion27

charlotte russe has cheap ones!

posted about 3 years ago

PickiPicki
New_user PickiPicki is new to Chictopia!

Make Her Feel Welcome with Chic Points
10 points - Become a fan
5 points - Vote her photos into the Style Gallery
1 point - Post a comment on her photos

When PickiPicki reaches 200 Chic Points, she will be in the Style Council!
PickiPicki

Oh, have been there babes! don’t worry… You’ll look lovely just wear a black dress with RED lipstick ;). If you want to go thrift check out PickiPicki about 4000 designer gems all under $200. Happy Shopping :)"
www.PickiPicki.com

posted about 3 years ago
REPLY TO DISCUSSION