SEARCH FORUM:
Facebook
Twitter
Googleplus
TAGS:  hair stylingshort hair
robin77
Style_council
robin77

My hair (brown) is growing out from a pixie, and is at a difficult length: just covering the bottom of my ears on teh side, and to the base of my neck in back. Some friends suggested having a stylist shape it (how can that be done when I am trying to let it grow long?), or adding some color or highlights to make it “interesting.” What is the current thought/trend on “streaking”, or darker/lighter roots? I do not see any models in teh magazines with streaked hair or color, or on teh street even, except the occasional punk rocker. Thoughts, comments? Thank you!
-Robin

posted 5 months ago
urbanoaf
Style_council
urbanoaf

streaking isnt very common, having roots a differant colour to the rest of your hair is even rowned upon, how about dip die, colour tint or just simply exploring some new styles? good luck x

posted 5 months ago

patlaenz
Style_council
patlaenz

i have a similar problem,and i dont know what to do since my hair is really thin

posted 5 months ago

lizolsen2011
Style_council
lizolsen2011

I would go to a stylist you trust. They can shape it by trimming it and helping you through the transition. I would say highlights would be more appropriate than streaking it or perhaps just warm up the hue of your hair.

posted 5 months ago

WinknPout
Style_council
WinknPout

From somebody who has transitioned from short to long thrice in her life, the awkward length gets on your nerves, that is true. But opposite to popular belief, going to a good stylist will help. Just, let the stylist know, that you want to grow them longer, and hence he/she will do the cut accordingly. Have a consultation session.

And if you don’t want to do that (though I highly recommend shaping than color) instead of streaking, maybe coloring your hair in a different hue than your brown, can help in looking and feeling better.

posted 5 months ago

robin77
Style_council
robin77

Thank you everyone, I think I will go to a stylist that was recommended and get a cut to thin it out a bit, the back is very thick and “chunky”! Now i am splitting the back of my hair and putting the upper part in a barrette, like a “messy ponytail.” makes me feel a little better for now… ; )
-Robin

posted 5 months ago

clotheshorse70
Style_council
clotheshorse70

Good for you Robin! A good trim and highlights will always do the trick

posted 4 months ago

thelovehanger
Style_council
thelovehanger

When a hair stylist "shapes" your hair, they are trying not to remove length, but trying to give your hair some sort of shape so that it doesn't look like you're growing your hair out.  They may need to take some length off the back to give the top layers time to catch up so it doesn't take on a mullet shape.  Usually the back of your hair grows faster because it's not as exposed to harsh drying, sunlight, heat styling, etc.  

Adding in color could change it up.  Maybe don't do drastic high/low lights, but just some subtle changes maybe a shade or two darker/lighter to add some dimension.  Hope that helps!

posted 4 months ago

robin77
Style_council
robin77

thank you, that is just what i want...i will be VERY specific with the stylist!  ; )

posted 4 months ago

Ochre
Style_council
Ochre

dye it with henna!

posted 4 months ago
REPLY TO DISCUSSION