Forum
SEARCH FORUM:
Facebook
Twitter
Googleplus
kristina
Style_council
kristina

Seeing this post reminded me of when I tried on this fringe dress at F21 and it was just TOO short for me. I even tried on a size up and it just made me look weird cause it was too big around the waist.. I’m not very tall (5’5”), but my boobs take up too much room and leave me with less fabric to uh.. cover up with. So my question is.. does anyone else have this problem? And if so, what do you do? Do you wear a longer skirt underneath the dress to give it more length?

posted almost 6 years ago
shoregirl
Style_council
shoregirl

this happens to me ALL the time! Usually I will just go up a size and belt it, but sometimes that doesn’t work because the arm holes get to big. With forever 21 I definitely have to try stuff on, because a lot of their clothes are made for people will little to no chest.

lulu
Style_council
lulu

I think the key is to just keep trying on different ones until you find the one that works. I know that is a bit annoying, but its better in the long run. I would look for mini dresses with structure, so that you can almost tell right away if everything is in the right place. The problem with the fringe dress is that there isn’t really structure.

FrivolousDistinction
Style_council
FrivolousDis...

I completely relate to this. I’m 5’3" and a UK size 6-8 (about a 2 in US sizing), but with big boobs. I love minidresses, but the amount of space the boobs take up can make the length overly mini. Since I’m short to start with, it doesn’t usually render a dress or skirt indecent, but often it makes them shorter than I’d like.

lulu’s advice above (to shop around and try on lots) is good, but I find that dresses with structure are less accommodating than, for example, jersey dresses. Softer fabrics like jersey stretch more readily to accommodate your chest, so the skirt still ends up a good length. I find it difficult to find structured dresses in my size with enough room for my boobs, because they depend more on me conforming to the manufacturer’s idea of what the measurements of that size are, but going up a size or two and having the dress altered (or doing it yourself) to fit the rest of you is a solution. You can also buy longer dresses and take them up so that they’re “mini”, but the length you want. I do both.

As you said, layering dresses and skirts is another option and can look great. I do this occasionally, especially with a petticoat/crinoline-style skirt, but more often than not I just wear opaque tights or coordinating hotpants underneath (depending on the season) and work it.

Also, I tend to find that vintage clothing is cut to fit my figure better than today’s clothing, and because it often fits better overall, it doesn’t end up shorter than I intended. Women are getting taller than they were, say, 50 years ago, but at 5’5" you’ll still find plenty of vintage skirts and dresses that fit you without being too short.

posted over 3 years ago

oliviadeathstain
Style_council
oliviadeaths...

i love them. i picture my self looking super akward in long dresses

posted over 3 years ago

pandaphilia
Style_council
pandaphilia

yeah i would buy a longer dress so that your chest has room to stay cheerfully without dragging half the dress up :)

posted over 3 years ago

EmployedPanache
Style_council
EmployedPanache

If the mini isn’t too tight, play around with layering either another skirt or short shorts underneath…

posted over 3 years ago
REPLY TO DISCUSSION