Facebook
Twitter
Googleplus
New_user 41153 is new to Chictopia!

Make Her Feel Welcome with Chic Points
10 points - Become a fan
5 points - Vote her photos into the Style Gallery
1 point - Post a comment on her photos

When 41153 reaches 200 Chic Points, she will be in the Style Council!

So I’ll give you a bit of a back story. I’m a very athletic person, which means I have muscle everywhere: broad shoulders, thick thighs + calves. To top if off I have really wide feet and a fairly large chest. This all adds up to not being able to fit much. I have 3 pairs of jeans that I’ve had to buy in larger sizes just so they fit my legs, and I end up wearing bluenotes or stitches mens tee’s in size M or L, as I don’t fit the “chic” womens clothing. As for shoes.. I have yet to find a pair of ballet flats or stylish boots that fit: I wear skater-shoes or converse. To give you an idea :p

But I try. I’d like to dress a bit more girly. So girls in a similar situation: where do you shop?!
I’d like a dress, tights and flats, the most. But buying online when I’m really unsure on whats good on me is a big jump, if I could find a location in Toronto I’d be happy.

posted over 4 years ago
rei
Style_council
rei

To be honest, I’m not in the same situation and I don’t live in Canada so I don’t know what the stores there are. But just some ideas that might help?

How about a plain white V neck from the guys section? Guys t shirts can be so so soft and comfy and since they fit you, why not? V necks are flattering in general and easy to wear.

There are tons of skirts in stores lately because of how popular they are, especially the floral ones with the black elastic band on top i think? It may be just my opinion but i find shopping for dresses that fit well so much harder than for skirts. And you can pair up skirts with t shirts and still keep the girly look :D

One thing I do have in common with your description is thick thighs + calves so if you’re going for leggings, try the stirrup ones? Somehow my legs look less chunky than if I were wearing the mid calf length ones or even the ones that stop at the ankles. (Or it could just be my eyes deceiving me… :P)

Phew that was a long post. I just realised that it doesn’t really answer what you’re asking but.. food for thought maybe? More things to try out when you shop so you can explore your options :D :D

posted over 4 years ago

FrivolousDistinction
Style_council
FrivolousDis...

Like the poster above, I’m not in Canada, so I can’t help with specific shops. I’m also a different shape. But I end up dispensing body shape advice to a lot of my friends when they get frustrated with shopping, some of whom have very similar concerns to you, so…

Try to think about what visual effect different shapes of clothing create on you. If possible, try lots of things on in front of the mirror or take pictures, either at home or in a shop. (You don’t have to buy, but what you learn will help when you’re shopping in future, especially online.)

A few ideas – V necks on tops and dresses help draw the eye down, visually minimising broader shoulders and flattering larger breasts. I find that some structure in the bodice of dresses is best if you’re busty. Slightly flared shapes on skirts/dresses would help balance out your top half. Knee-length skirts/dresses will help to create curvaceous legs (by breaking them up at the knee) worn with flattering shoes. Try to find materials that flow – draped fabrics will skim over areas you’re less confident about, create curves on your athletic frame and enhance the femininity of what’s already there. Ruching and soft, narrow pleating will have a similar effect, but box pleats would probably look too square.

For tights, a design in a dark colour with vertical ribbing or another narrow vertical design will slim your legs. Shoes need to be quite chunky and curvy – again, it’s about using your clothes to balance your body.

There are retailers that cater to wider feet. Here in the UK, for example, Duo and New Look are both good (not sure if they ship internationally?) so hopefully you can find local equivalents.

posted over 4 years ago

10 points - Become a fan

Thank you both for the ideas (:

posted over 4 years ago

chicchica_bonita
New_user chicchica_bonita is new to Chictopia!

10 points - Become a fan

When chicchica_bonita reaches 200 Chic Points, she will be in the Style Council!
chicchica_bo...

I would search online for stores that sell shoes in wide, and if you’re up for learning how to sew, you could make some clothes t your own measurements! :) and on top of that, don’t be afraid of a loose fitting dress! Buy one that is baggy, then belt it! You could try keds for shoes, and for sandals, you could go with a kind that is very minimal around the foot area, and straps around the ankles. Try stores like charlotte russe for good fitting, girly clothes. But I know what your problem is with the chest issue, so at charlotte, don’t go for anything too tailored, because it may not fit you right. anything loose and flowy is a guarenteed.
Also try “plus size” stores like Torrid or Dots. They label themselves as “plus size” but they sell small clothes cut for thicker girls. I’ve found that i’m never consistently one size. I think the best thing to do is just to go to any place where you can try on a lot of clothes, and try on EVERYTHING! Then you’ll be able to get a feel for what works for you.
You can get tailoring, too. For 30 bucks or less, depending on the complexity of the piece, you can buy something much larger and have it taken in to fit you perfectly. Frankly, I’d say its worth every penny, as long as you’re done growing.

posted over 4 years ago

10 points - Become a fan

I would love to be able to make my own clothing.. unfortunately I just don’t have the time to really learn. D: Trust me I’ve looked into it before; LOL.

Ughh. You’ve made me want to visit a charlotte russe now. Unfortunately they don’t have any locations in Canada… Though I know a few stores that may stock some of their items… I’ll keep an eye out; thank you (:

Torrid & Dots both aren’t in Canada. Though I looked through both websites. rore. I feel like I’m at a huge disadvantage here :p

and thank you for the suggestions! I’ve been thinking of taking a few guy shirts to a tailor and seeing how much they would charge to fit the arm and torso area to fit me… otherwise I might just use that belt idea. I’ve been using safety pins. belt sounds much easier. and nicer. :p

posted over 4 years ago

chicchica_bonita
New_user chicchica_bonita is new to Chictopia!

10 points - Become a fan

When chicchica_bonita reaches 200 Chic Points, she will be in the Style Council!
chicchica_bo...

Belts are comfier too! As far as taking in arms and torsos, i couldn’t imagine it being more than five to ten bucks, US. And I’m fairly certain Charlotte Russe ships to canada off their website :). And you could search through wet seal, too. charlotte and wet seal are the same exact stuff, but charlotte is more romantic, and sells gold jewelry, and wet seal is more urban, and sells the same jewelry, but in silver. Don’t feel at a disadvantage, just feel picky lol. tell yourself that you are one super picky girl and nothing but the best will please you. I know what its like not to have time on my hands, but do your best to set aside that hour or two. Look for stuff in loose, flowy cuts. :) i’m very happy to help, i love helping others look their best :) feel free to message me too if you ever need any other help :)

posted over 4 years ago
REPLY TO DISCUSSION