Forum
SEARCH FORUM:
Facebook
Twitter
Googleplus
auburnhair
Style_council
auburnhair

hey guys, first of all, this is my first time at the forums.
i’ve made a search and couldn’t find any topic related to this. sorry if there’s one already.

so, here’s what i have to share:
last week i started going to the gym and i’ve found myself very confused about what to wear whilst working out.
some people may find me shallow about this, but i like to dress up and i can’t feel comfortable with those typical gym outfits.
i find everything hideous. especially when it comes to wearing sneakers — i am a high-heels addict!
mind that i’m aware that when you work out, clothes must be comfortable first, aside from looking ok.
but still, i’d like to wear something that i’d really appreciate wearing.

do you have any tips, from sneakers to clothes and also accessories?
if possible, i’d like to see some photos that could inspire me.

posted almost 6 years ago
thislilpiggyflew
Style_council
thislilpiggy...

I always like those yoga pants that you can fold over. Pretty much yoga clothes in general are pretty stylish.

Cameleon
Style_council
Cameleon

Just watch out with certain accesories! They can be really hazardous at the gym. Take it from the girl who almost knocked her own teeth out by forgetting to take of her lovely swarovski necklace before going on the treadmill..

geekbonchic
Style_council
geekbonchic

Look for labels that are more functional than conceptual in their designs: adidas by Stella McCartney and Y-3 come to mind, but there are plenty of others.

SONIAP
Style_council
SONIAP

i say no , as i run when i go to the gym and there is nothing pretty about people runnning …

there are loads of designer gym clothes – Adidas has Stellla M and then you could just go into Mango and get some nice jogging bottoms and tops .

xx

jehovahsfitness
Style_council
jehovahsfitness

Lululemon has pretty decent clothing for sports. Plain and sleek, but comfy and very sturdy.

Seriously though, I can’t believe someone mentioned working out in wedge sneakers :( Not only are they gross-looking, but you’d be kicked out of most gyms for wearing them. If you want to get the most out of your workout (ie not injure yourself, and not have to quit early because your feet, ankles, and knees hurt too much), get real athletic shoes with adequate support and cushioning.

I’m sorry if I sound like a jerk, but I’ve known plenty of girls who refuse to sacrifice style when they work out, and then they wonder why they aren’t meeting their fitness or weight loss goals. Gee, maybe because you’re so uncomfortable that you can’t run for more than 10 minutes?

alexisthegreat
Style_council
alexisthegreat

all these suggestions for looking chic at the gym are good, but i honestly don’t see the point of doing so.

auburnhair
Style_council
auburnhair

jehovahsfitness: i get what you mean. x;)
i don’t think i could ever wear those wedge sneakers or anything else that would be stylish and still not proper to work out.
i’d rather keep wearing what i’ve been wearing lately (shorts, sneakers and a t-shirt) in order to reach my goals and look better on my favorite outfits.

to everyone else: thanks for your opinion and i might try and find some yoga clothes — they seem perfect and cute for the situation.

IrishGirl82
Style_council
IrishGirl82

Yeah I’ve got the same problem! Have just started going to the gym again and I really hate the boring gym fashion. I don’t understand why sports stuff can’t look great. :-(

Can anyone recommend a great sports fashion store in London? Hope I’ll find something nice there.

posted over 5 years ago

raiscake
Style_council
raiscake

@ jehovahsfitness: Yeah, I agree. No matter how dressed up you are at the gym, if you really want to see improvement, you’re gonna have to work hard and sweat and look like crap anyway. :P I see a lot of girls in the gym working out in dressy tops and necklaces and make-up (!) on. They never do the machines right. :P

posted over 5 years ago

heatherrr
Style_council
heatherrr

I think cute clothes are fine for the gym, but shoes really have to be functional – even at the expense of fashion. There are athletic shoes deisigned for every sport and exercise, and most athletic shoe stores will recommend various shoes to you based on what you need them for. It’s not worth tearing a ligament to look still look chic at the gym!

posted over 5 years ago

Rummy
Style_council
Rummy

I go to the gym so i can look good in my regular clothes. i accept that sweating and gasping will never be a good look so i don’t much mind how i look in the gym.

posted over 5 years ago

Miss_Lydia
Style_council
Miss_Lydia

LMFAOOO wedge sneakers …i find them hideous and I cannot wait to see someone in them at the gym. I will DIE hahahahah

posted over 5 years ago

plastikneon
Style_icon
plastikneon

Unless you are wearing something hideously ugly, or stand-out (velor track suit, wedge sneakers….80’s leotard layered with bright leggings)…no ones going to judge you, or comment on your outfit.

You’re going to the gym to work out.

Go easy on the makeup…sweating foundation or mascara is nasty, and don’t worry about blush b/c your cheeks will naturally turn pink/red after working out.

Yoga pants/shorts…paired with a basic tee…maybe an AA v-neck.
And sneakers, of course…lol

posted over 5 years ago

puuki
Style_council
puuki

I don’t see a point in trying to dress to impress in the gym especially when you’ll be sweaty and shine-y in the face if you intend to do a real workout. I’ve seen a woman wearing an Ed Hardy tracksuit set and she hardly did anything and will never see results. Another girl wore heavy make-up and sweating profusely looked so bad. Gym regs both guys and girls will wonder wtf you’re doing there and think it’s tacky.

There’s no harm in wearing basic gym clothes.

posted over 5 years ago
REPLY TO DISCUSSION