Forum
SEARCH FORUM:
Facebook
Twitter
Googleplus
nyc_lu
Style_council
nyc_lu

how do you make sure your vintage/thrift style looks fresh, rather than old and used? why do you like to wear items from thrift shops?

posted over 5 years ago
fashiongeometry
Style_council
fashiongeometry

I like wearing items from thrift/vintage shops because they have this reminiscing value to them. I am the type of person that likes to dress up in a period piece depending on the occasion and mood, but I do update the outfit by mixing in accessories and shoes that are more contemporary and sometimes on trend.

I think it really depends on your personal taste and style too.

posted over 5 years ago

shadowplay_
Style_council
shadowplay_

Well first of all, I make sure the item I buy doesn’t look old/used in the first place. To avoid looking like I come from a different era, I try and mix in contrasting accessories and shoes… for example, I bought this schoolgirl-ish pinafore, and I like to wear it with knee-high boots. I wear items from thrift stores because of necessity, but I also like how unique they are.

posted over 5 years ago

queenb1987
Style_council
queenb1987

i love vintage clothing because its unique and u wont get caught walking down the street wearing the same thing as someone else. I don’t like to wear head-toe vintage but like to mix it up with other clothes.

posted over 5 years ago

SarahJayne
Shop_seller_2 SarahJayne is a Chictopia seller who has been hand-picked by our editors to sell merchandise on our website.

Chictopia sellers carry fashion forward products and ensure great customer experience. Click here if you are interested in selling your merchandise on Chictopia.
SarahJayne

I’m a vintage clothing dealer, and for my shoots I always pair vintage dresses, jumpsuits, whatever, with contemporary shoes, stockings, and accessories. 75% of the accessories used in the shoots come from Forever 21! So there ya go : ).

posted over 5 years ago

Allhailthequeen
Style_council
Allhailthequeen

I love vintage and thrift stores because I find one of kind pieces/accessories that I know no one else will have. I also have a knack for pairing things so yeah

posted over 3 years ago

OnTheGanges
Style_council
OnTheGanges

First, I always buy vintage clothes in good condition — or at least, I try to. Most of my vintage stuff has been bought online, so I go off of the few pictures I’m given. Most of the time, the things I buy are okay. I bought this one pair of black boots (that I wear in like, all of my looks on this site) and last week, the heel came apart from the shoe. Luckily, I had some wicked awesome glue at home and have since fixed it, so no major loss. Still makes me worry about the condition some stuff is online though.

Second, it’s not hard to find something ‘unique’ in terms of vintage clothes and accessories, since there’s so many items that came between the fifties and the eighties, that it’s really hard to find duplicates. I also try to shop for things that I can wear with multiple things. Sometimes it’s a little difficult, but since I also like to wear vintage things with newer items, it’s not impossible.

I love wearing vintage and previously owned/used pieces because firstly, it’s typically cheaper; it’s also great because you can just tell that the clothes are made differently, with different fabrics, colours, patterns, and styles that you don’t see today. Even when companies put clothes out that have ‘the vintage look’, it’s just not the same.

posted over 3 years ago

snortingchuckie
Style_council
snortingchuckie

I only buy clothes that are in good condition or clothes that I can fix myself. If it looks worn out, I typically won’t buy it. I love thrift/vintage clothing because they aren’t usually pieces you see everyday and they are super fun to alter and experiment with.

posted over 3 years ago

georgiarose
New_user georgiarose is new to Chictopia!

Make Her Feel Welcome with Chic Points
10 points - Become a fan
5 points - Vote her photos into the Style Gallery
1 point - Post a comment on her photos

When georgiarose reaches 200 Chic Points, she will be in the Style Council!
georgiarose

I wear 95% thrifted and vintage clothes and have done for years, so by now incorporating them into my wardrobe is second nature. If you’re unsure and want to avoid a ‘period’ look, be sure to wear a vintage piece with modern accessories to begin with, like a 1950s dress with modern lace-up boots or an embroidered 1970s blouse with a black bandage skirt and heels. The best part about thrifting is that the low prices mean you can afford to experiment.

posted over 3 years ago

chyrelg
Style_council
chyrelg

I pair anything thrifted with designer brands. I meant local desinger brands where I am. I haven’t really tried wearing all out thrifted.

posted over 3 years ago

boredstephanie
Style_council
boredstephanie

I just mix it in with modern pieces to balance it out

posted over 3 years ago

thatgirlnextdoor
New_user thatgirlnextdoor is new to Chictopia!

10 points - Become a fan

When thatgirlnextdoor reaches 200 Chic Points, she will be in the Style Council!
thatgirlnext...

I agree with what a lot of people have already said. If it’s in good condition and mixed with contemporary pieces and accessories you shouldn’t have a probelm.

posted over 3 years ago

xokeishaxo
Style_council
xokeishaxo

I am with everybody else that has mentioned the uniqueness of vintage and thrift pieces. Being in a small college town with limited access to resources I find that most of the girls order from the same places and wear the same pieces. I don’t really like looking like everybody else and being a non-traditional student I feel that taking the step to look a little bit more unique makes me stand out as such and not look like your typical 20 year old undergrad.

Also, I find that vintage pieces are made better. And a lot of the time you can’t beat the price. For example- most of my blazers are thrifted. I think the only blazer I spent more than $10 for is my hot pink DKNY blazer but even then I only spent like $25. Why spend $32 and up at stores like Forever 21 when you can hit Goodwill and score? I scored one of my favorite winter coats at Goodwill. It is a long camel coat with pleating on the back and real fur around the collar and cuffs. I scored it for like $6 since nobody there took the time to put a tag with a higher price on it.

And mixing pieces is key. I do my blazers with skinny pants to add balance and nice heels to add polish. I purchased this 80’s style secretary dress in a totally fun watercolor-ish print the other day. The shape of it is HIDEOUS. It’s long and boxy with a high neckline. BUT I really like the print, the material, and the buttons going up the back. I plan to add a belt, shorten it, and wear it backwards. Will probably put a blazer over it to mute the print a little bit too. Voila.

If you put something on and you’re not sure, ask a nearby stranger for an opinion. Usually they will be really honest with you. I thrift by myself a lot because my friends don’t understand or don’t want to take the time. I often ask random strangers for their honest opinion of pieces.

Also, sometimes you just need to use your imagination. Change details. Maybe the buttons need to be changed. Maybe something needs belted…try to be creative.

posted over 3 years ago

obvioxduh
Style_council
obvioxduh

It’s easy to mix a vintage/thrift piece with an item that sort of resembles the same era but is actually a modern twist. for example, an item from H&M (that seems to always try the vintage look) that sort of hints vintage paired with an ACTUAL vintage piece seems to work out. hope you understand what i mean :3 hehe.

posted over 3 years ago

missrachelphipps
Style_council
missrachelph...

I mix them in with more current items in my wardrobe so they integrate into my personal style!

posted over 3 years ago

thedailyluxe
New_user thedailyluxe is new to Chictopia!

10 points - Become a fan

When thedailyluxe reaches 200 Chic Points, she will be in the Style Council!
thedailyluxe

Wear one statement Vintage piece over a modern fashion outfit- this will keep the look fresh and up to date, whilst still being quirky.

Try shopping for Vintage pieces that have a timeless feel to them, such as a trench coat- These items will always look chic!

posted over 3 years ago

kitschy_
Style_council
kitschy_

Mix it up! Depending on the look I’m going for, I tend to mix thrifted items with modern or designer pieces. I have this great black and white 1970s sequin skirt my grandmother gave me. I love to pair it with a cropped boyfriend blazer.

Also, some items are just always classic, so it might not look “old.” But, I know what you’re saying – things should look fresh. Always get something tailored or taken in to make it look more contemporary. Hemmed too, for that matter.

posted over 3 years ago
REPLY TO DISCUSSION