Forum
SEARCH FORUM:
Facebook
Twitter
Googleplus
belle_Lachic
Style_council
belle_Lachic

So this is a debate I have had with my friend a number of times….
is it true that the slimmer you are the more skin you are able to show? as in if you wanna were a short skirt: the more slender body types get away with relatively shorter lengths than the curvous types

posted almost 2 years ago
Earthchild404
Style_council
Earthchild404

I personally don’t think showing a lot of skin is okay no matter what your size. The only reason I could really think of that it would be a ‘problem’ is that a woman with relatively large breasts shows a bit too much of them. Women who are smaller in that department don’t have to worry because cleavage is not as much of an issue for them.

TheresaPaquette
Style_council
TheresaPaquette

http://www.washingtoncitypaper.com/blogs/sexist/2010/04/21/with-great-cleavage-comes-great-responsibility/
http://finallyfeminism101.wordpress.com/2010/04/04/what-is-slut-shaming/#women-shamers

^^
The above two articles, I feel, explain a lot of the stigma around women’s bodies and how they dress. Personally, I feel that the body is inherently beautiful, and meant neither to be covered nor ‘flaunted,’ but instead to be a form of expression for the person whose body it is. I have a Muslim friend who wears a hijab and keeps the rest of her body very covered; I, on the other hand, love to wear shorts when the weather calls for it. Both are equally valid routes, and it’s really in the hands of each person.

As mentioned in the second article, our culture praises both raunch and modesty – unfortunately, those of us with bodies that would be considered inherently ‘sluttier’ are simultaneously urged to ‘show off’ and to hide it. People are going to judge you no matter how you dress, so you may as well go with what you want. I’m sure that, no matter your body type, as long as you are confident in what you wear, you will look great! (:

ManuelaYush
Style_council
ManuelaYush

I dont know how to put this in the politically correct terms, but when your body is very womanly wearing even more appealing clothing might look a bit too much of a sex appeal. If I J.Lo wears something very short and tight it will look a lot more slutty then if a petite girl wears the same thing. That does not mean that J.Lo cannot dress sexy, but because she is already, she needs a hint of spice while a less curvy girl can get away with some extra salt :P, makes sense?

EmilyLove
New_user EmilyLove is new to Chictopia!

Make Her Feel Welcome with Chic Points
10 points - Become a fan
5 points - Vote her photos into the Style Gallery
1 point - Post a comment on her photos

When EmilyLove reaches 200 Chic Points, she will be in the Style Council!
EmilyLove

I think the point is not slimmer or curvier. It’s the style who loves sexy and wanna show more skin, no matter she is slim or curve.

catiebeatty
Forum_moderator
catiebeatty

This is a great topic! It’s very interesting to see how much social norms and evolution have influenced my reaction to girls in short skirts, etc. I’m with ManuelaYush and am hoping I don’t offend anyone!
I think it matters more whether you have “womanly” curves or not. Like, if you have very slender hips, or what people would call a “boyish figure”, then I think it’s easier to get away with wearing super short skirts because you look more “innocent” already. I agree with Earthchild404 and think that you shouldn’t show tons of skin, no matter what your size, but I’ve noticed that my first reaction is to shake my head at the curvy girl wearing short shorts, but not necessarily the super skinny girl wearing them, simply because she doesn’t stick out to me. In my subconscious, she’s not showing off “the goods” because she doesn’t have any, by evolutionary standards. I think this is actually one of the main reasons they use skinny models, because then you see the clothes and aren’t distracted by boobs and hips, etc.

ManuelaYush
Style_council
ManuelaYush

very interesting points CatieBeatty, we always hear that they use skinny models because they look better in all the clothing, so what then? nothing can look good on curvy girls! But the distraction factor makes a lot more sense. Like in any visual arts, fashion, or interior design, or even life itself :P balance is the most important thing, that also applies to sexiness, if you have a sexy body, balance it out with something classier, if you don’t, you can still express and show your sexiness with strategically placed clothing.

TheresaPaquette
Style_council
TheresaPaquette

I’m five feet tall, weigh 115 pounds, have a 26-inch waist, and wear a 30 E or F bra. For those to whom the American sizes mean nothing, I’m generally small but with a waist, hips, and boobs. Longer shorts make me look stocky because of my height; there are plenty of shirts that fit me perfectly besides over my breasts. Luckily, I have a mother whose shape is/was similar to mine (she’s slightly taller and at her biggest wore a D) and who is very generous in giving me anything I like from her own closet (what she wore when she was younger, but no longer likes or fits into, at least) so I have a number of button-ups whose buttons I do not break and other shirts that fit me nicely. I don’t feel comfortable wearing very low-cut shirts, but understanding the limited options for girls like me, I would never judge anyone for wearing something revealing, first because I know that they might not necessarily want to, and secondly because it’s their body and what they do with it, so long as there’s no harm, means nothing to me. The same goes for short girls – unless they’re very thin, it’s hard for them to wear Bermuda shorts. I will not be told that just because someone decided that my body type is some sort of ideal to be fetishized, I cannot wear what I feel and look good in.

missmiami
Style_council
missmiami

Very petite girls generally can wear clothes that flash a lot of skin and not look overly sexy/skimpy/slutry in them. Curvier girls have more to show which can result in exposing to much flesh. This rule is not to be taken super seriously though! You just have to find what looks right on your body. I’m one of those in the middle body types- not petite but not crazy curvy either. 5’6 135 pounds, I have long athelitc legs, a nice sized bottem, smaller waist and medium sized boobs. (cup size B38, jean size 26) I wear pretty much what I like but always have to try things on.. some clothes looks great on a mannquin but end up being too short on my longer legs or to revealing up top. You just have to have an eye for what fits right on your body. I am currently living in Miami and it is getting hot! Everyday I am flaunting legs and arms, amoung other things.. how much is the factor I consider while dressing each day. Just because you have a certain body type doesn’t mean you cant rock that mini or midriff cut top! Just find the styles that not only work for you, but ones you are comfortable wearing.

F4SHI0N
Style_council
F4SHI0N

i think you should dress to what flatters your own indivdual body type, so it doesn’t necessarily mean that the “slimmest” can pull off the most skin!

thelovehanger
Style_council
thelovehanger

I agree with catie and manuela! A curvy girl appears sexier showing more skin than say a petite girl. I think it’s built into our systems that a woman with curves is shown to be fertile, feminine, and healthy. It’s not what the media wants us to think, but I think many guys would prefer a woman with a little more curves than flat as a board.

Either way, I like leaving a little something to the imagination. Dress for your figure, no matter what size it is, and feel confident in doing so, but a classier appearance looks more stylish than a slutty one.

BlazeBabe
New_user BlazeBabe is new to Chictopia!

Make Her Feel Welcome with Chic Points
10 points - Become a fan
5 points - Vote her photos into the Style Gallery
1 point - Post a comment on her photos

When BlazeBabe reaches 200 Chic Points, she will be in the Style Council!
BlazeBabe

Leave something to the imagination but show just enough to want more. Cover = Classy.

belle_Lachic
Style_council
belle_Lachic

I really appreciate the feedback. Wasnt expect it. Every one has great points. First I think I should appologise to friend who inspired me to post the topic. She said the samething you did “missmiami”. The beginnig ofcourse.
Personally Im 5ft 4’’, slim, thin legs, 30C chest and though amnt sure about my weight in pounds it less than 50kgs.Most of the time I show off a lil clevage and cover my legs. My mum is conservative but I never got my it bothered her. I was specifically suprised one day whe I decided to wear something like this “http://www.tobi.com/product/43687-ellison-writers-color-block-blouse?color_id=55113”; and it completly fine with it.
Reading “catiebeatty” brought perspective. Extending “ManuelaYush” ’s metaphor; I should be going for a lil less spice on top and a lil more salt on the bottom. ;)

ManuelaYush
Style_council
ManuelaYush

lol, you go girl! the outfit looks adorable, I’m sure you rocked it!!!

splashofcolour
Style_council
splashofcolour

I don’t think the issue is totally to do with size. Fair enough it doesn’t look good when an obese person wears tiny clothes but as long as your body is in good proportions and the clothes flatter your shape then there’s not a problem with wearing less clothing than some other people would. The main issue that it’s down to is confidence. Confident people are the type you’ll see wearing less clothes and often the ones criticising and bringing those people down are the ones with lower confidence in their own body and because they feel they can’t dress that way they tend to expect others not to either.

REPLY TO DISCUSSION