Forum
SEARCH FORUM:
Facebook
Twitter
Googleplus
saywhat
Style_council
saywhat

How do you guys deal with pants that stretch out? I have a PERFECT-looking pair of black straightleg pants that i lovelovelove and look so damn good in … but only the day after i wash them. then they’re baggy. this is often the same with my jeans.
Is the secret just buying pants on the recommendation that they don’t stretch out? Unfortunately there’s otherwise no way to really know until you’ve bought them and wore them a day.. and i’m not going to spend $3 to wash them daily. help :(

posted about 6 years ago
geekbonchic
Style_council
geekbonchic

The problem is that you’re basing your purchase on how your jeans are fitting when you first try them on. Denim is made of cotton, a natural fiber. Denim will naturally stretch with wear and shrink with wash, but pure denim will usually wind up stretching over the long-term. How much will depend on how the denim was treated and how you wash it.
If you’re looking at pants that are 85% or more cotton, you should consider sizing down a half to whole size. When you try them on in store, they should be snug and tight, but not uncomfortable. Note where it is the tightest and ask the SA if they have any knowledge of how much the jeans will stretch. When washing jeans, I prefer cold washes and hang dry, to minimize the heat and stress placed on the fabric (i.e. the effects that alter and, ultimately, shorten the lifespan of the fibers).

posted about 6 years ago
REPLY TO DISCUSSION