Forum
SEARCH FORUM:
Facebook
Twitter
Googleplus
tonilynnn
Style_council
tonilynnn

I am a student in NY, LA born so I am not used to snow. AT ALL. and i wanted to know a few inexpensive (hell name a few expensive ones too I’ll live) stores or items that will liven up my wardrobe. I’m going on my seocnd year there and I really lost my identity this year thrown into nothing but my one ugly downcoat and i stopped caring what was under because i had no cute warm clothing ideas. I am used to chic summer every day all day. or at worst 50 degree cold clothes. any ideas? inspiration helps, websites for cute shopping for sure please!! and key items that any winter wonderland needs.

posted almost 4 years ago
pandaphilia
Style_council
pandaphilia

i go to school in stl, where it’s winter 75% of the year. yup. chunky cardigans and fat coats are not hot. get a pair of nice boots that are snow and rain proof. get lots of nice cardigans to throw over chic clothes. get a nice peacoat and scarves are must. i don’t like hats but they really help you stay warm. also, you can wearing leggings underneath jeans to keep your legs warm and no one will know :)

tonilynnn
Style_council
tonilynnn

thank you thank you! any ideas on where to buy said peacoats? I got one at forever 21, but seems a little cheap. I was going to check J crew or I love the Urban Outfitters ones, but not sure how they would fare in snow

pandaphilia
Style_council
pandaphilia

i would say yes, invest in a nicer one that will keep you warm. sometimes the most stylish coats are paper thin :(

i have a goose down coat from china but it’s not the most fashionable. i like that it’s a puffy coat but rather flattering because it’s not huge. i find peacoats can still be too cold unless i layer so make sure you get some nice warm cardis and sweaters ! :) check the dept stores and j crew, banana republic, express, ann taylor, etc.

MurasakiNeko
Style_council
MurasakiNeko

It’s actually warmer to layer many thin layers than to wear a giant coat over everything, so I second pandaphilia’s advice to get layering cardigans and sweaters. You can get away with wearing a thinner coat that way, too.

Also, sometimes you can find peacoats or trenches that come with a special liner that makes them a lot warmer on the inside. You can also recreate this effect with a thin down or wool vest.

But do invest in a good coat. It’s definitely worth it to spend the money since you’ll wear almost every day for three months! I usually get winter coats at department stores.

I find being cute in winter mostly comes down to accessories, though. Having a distinct or especially cute hat can make wearing a winter hat seem less lame. Gloves and mittens can be cute, too; for instance, I have a pair of colorful mittens made of reconstructed sweaters (including their buttons!) that I think are unusual and fun.

And scarves. Scarves are everything in winter. I have a big variety in lots of different styles, colors, and patterns to suit my mood. You can pick them up for cheap almost anywhere, or even knit them yourself; they’re the easiest thing in the world to knit.

pandaphilia
Style_council
pandaphilia

oh yes, i remember also. i have a panda hat that i wear in the winter. everyone on campus seems to know me by that hat now xD make your winter style stand out with simple unique pieces like that!

Reybeltane
Style_council
Reybeltane

find winter boots with good traction. you don’t want to be slipping around. my steve maddens have been holding up pretty well! J crew coats, while a little preppy sometimes, are usually a great investment and will always come in wool with nice linings, too.

opfiend
Style_council
opfiend

Thrift stores always seem to have a plethora of peacoats. I’ve gotten 3 from there in the past year or two.

REPLY TO DISCUSSION