SEARCH FORUM:
Facebook
Twitter
Googleplus
Rubyonfire
Style_council
Rubyonfire

Hi All!
Looking for some help and inspiration… here’s my story.

I left the corporate world recently and took up hairdressing. Now I am close to completing my course. Here’s the dilemma – my previous work clothes are real corporate basics, like shirts, pants, pencil skirts. I’ve gone to real jeans and T-shirt for college. Now that I will be working in a salon soon, I need to dress the part, and I think it is casual to smart casual with lots of good fashion sense.

What should I do? How can I use what I have to look for stylish?

I like the rocker look, but don’t want to go over and be emo!

Any help appreciated!

posted about 4 years ago
splashofcolour
Style_council
splashofcolour

From having previously worked in a salon myself and knowing other poeple that have, I’ve learnt that they’re more concerned about how you wear your hair than your clothes. A well done hair style is what you’ll be noticed for most, and you will be judged on what hair accessories you use (the main rules is no scrunchies and no hair grips/pins showing unless it’s deliberate).

For clothes, stick to dark colours as hair will not show up on them so much and neither will stains from products. Salons are usually pretty relaxed on what types of clothing you wear as long as there’s no underwear or bras on display. You should check the salon’s uniform policy beforehand, but jeans should be allowed. Your best bet for looking good is to dress in neutral colours, the darker the better, accessorize with a really nice pair of shoes and a cool necklace or earrings (nothing on wrists, obviously cause it gets in the way of using your hands precisely). Make the most effort on your hair and make-up though as this is what customers and other staff will be judging most.

posted almost 4 years ago

Rubyonfire
Style_council
Rubyonfire

Thanks splashofcolour, you are right.

I have been volunteering at the salon I plan to work at and understand their requirements about clothes. They are pretty much anything neat and tidy. However I do not want to be given less opportunities due to my lack of fashion sense. I just feel like if I do not look like I know what is going on, I would not be given the opportunity to do hair… urm, hope you understand what I mean.

My hair is short at the moment and coloured by the salon. Nothing much I could do with it as it is not tying length yet. I want to accessorize more as you mention, didn’t think of that, thanks!

Hope to put some looks together this weekend.

posted almost 4 years ago
REPLY TO DISCUSSION