Forum
SEARCH FORUM:
Facebook
Twitter
Googleplus
bmeista
Style_council
bmeista

I’m visiting my brother in Manhattan for the next couple of weeks. I know we’re going to do a lot of walking and shopping, so I want to dress comfortably (especially my shoes). Last time II wore shorts, a tank top and sandals and he said I was dressed too casually to go into many nice stores. What can I wear that won’t ruin my shoes but won’t be too casual?

posted almost 5 years ago
courtneycrunk
Style_council
courtneycrunk

definently easy shoes to take on and off, in case you find a pair of shoes to try on. i made this mistake a few days ago when i went thrift shopping, i wore these really cute but very difficult sandles, the buckle is a little hard to get undone. well, i ended up just taking my shoes off and walking around the store barefoot until i tried on all the shoes i wanted to. XD

Tashhh
Style_council
Tashhh

I usually wear a dress, blazer and pumps when I go shopping (maybe over-knee socks or tights as well). The pumps are easy to take off and I can walk in heels for hours no problem and I find that dresses are a lot easier to take off constantly than wearing pants/shorts. It would probably be best to go with a dress that is simple but can look a little dressed up, and the blazer can keep almost any outfit from looking too casual. I also bring a belt in my bag in case something I’m trying on might need one.

jaded
Style_council
jaded

maybe you can wear a cute shirt, a skirt and flats? skirts are really easy to just slide off and flats are easy to walk in.

Sophisticus
Style_council
Sophisticus

I agree with most of these posts (Heels for hours? You are a super hero!) and think that you should wear something easy on, easy off. It is hard to tell you what to wear, because I don’t know your style, but a skirt or dress is easiest to slip on and off. There ar a lot of cute, comfy shoes out there, so really, it is your call. You don’t want to go buy something to shop in, that would be too complicated, to find an outfit to shop in for that! Above, have fun. And to have fun, you have to be comfortable in what you are wearing. Trust your own judgement, try stuff on! You’ll find the right look.

elspeth
Style_council
elspeth

Even switching the shorts for a skirt wll make a huge difference. You don’t have to wear heels to look classy either – there are plenty of sophisticated looking flats. Or try kitten heels!

ChantalHMB
Style_council
ChantalHMB

Also, if I’m going on big shopping days, I try to wear more neutral colours, top and bottom, so I can also see how clothes I am trying on look paired with something whatever else I am wearing, and also I agree as already mentioned above, clothes which are easy to take off and put back on… Nothing more frustrating than trying to take off fussy pieces of clothing and a whole bunch of accessories every time you want to try something on :)

_ashleyamour
Style_council
_ashleyamour

you need to pull off the old mmegan fox look.

style one:
tank
jeans of anykind
caridgan
and flip flops
hair down always down .. and messy ish

for the more elite.
style two:

leather jacket
stylish tank
and skinny jeans
flats or gladiators

style 3:
slinky long tank tucked into one side
and leggings
with gladiators

extra:

with both wear with sunglasses
no earings unless your hair is up
no necklaces
bangles are accepted

make up :

simply yet glam

for example brown eyeliner, with a pearly whiteish-beige eyeshadow :) masscara and your done :)))

kaitlindawn
Style_council
kaitlindawn

i’d wear a comfy dress and some shoes that are easy to take on and off. :)

reiyana
Style_council
reiyana

i know this must sound stupid…but always carry a nice purse, because if not, you could be mistaken for a store worker (if you pay attention, nobody working in a store would carry a handbag or anything)

back when i did not have the habit of carrying any bags with me, i got many people coming up to me, thinking that i work there, and it’s really embarrassing

juju_noodle85
Style_council
juju_noodle85

something you can take off easily and fast like a dress and sneakers like keds that are comfy to walk in, shy away from doing your hair in a stlye that will easily get destroyed while taking off and putting things on

Nikki
Style_council
Nikki

Pretty much anything is fine.

I wouldn’t walk around with an overly large tote bag or a sketchy coat… Besides looking like a shoplifter, there’s really no “right” way to look to go shopping!

bmeista
Style_council
bmeista

You guys rock, thank you so much!

REPLY TO DISCUSSION