SEARCH FORUM:
Facebook
Twitter
Googleplus
katsumii
Style_council
katsumii

Hey all,

What would you recommend a 5’7" lady like myself wear under or with above-the-knee dresses, for the summer? My legs are average — definitely some cellulite, somewhat shapely (not stalky) — but I’m scared that the wind will blow the dress too high or the sun will make the dress see-through. I’m also afraid of looking disproportionate. I don’t wear heels or flip-flops.

Are tights too hot for spring/summer?

If need be, I’d be happy to include photos.

Thank you!
-kat

posted over 2 years ago
thelovehanger
Style_council
thelovehanger

With my short dresses, I like to stick a short slip with a lace hem underneath. It kind of gives a cool vibe to the look and adds a few more inches to the dress. Today I saw someone who paired lace shorts underneath a short dress and it looked amazing! And usually under skirts and dresses, I wear seamless boy shorts so in case there is a breeze, they won’t get full cheeks! LOL.

posted over 2 years ago

JPB
Style_council
JPB

yes, please include photos!
depending on the area that you live in, tights may be too hot to wear in the summer time. Sometimes when I know the dress may be a little see-through, I wear a slip underneath. I know some girls that also wear tight, spandex shorts under their dresses, like volleyball shorts.
Hope this helps!

posted over 2 years ago

tightsandtea
Style_council
tightsandtea

yeah most girls I see wear those black spandex bootyshorts—doesn’t visibly change the look, but if it’s particularly windy people won’t see things they shouldn’t see lol.

spring might be ok for tights, but they change the look—and most summer dresses don’t really do well with tights. unless they’re really opaque (which isn’t really appropriate for warm weather) a thin sheer fabric won’t cover much up anyway.

here’s probably your nightmare: one of my friends wears thongs under everything, even short skirts. I was walking with her so I didn’t notice, but apparently her backpack made her skirt ride up all the way and some guy awkwardly told her to pull her skirt down.

posted over 2 years ago

MurasakiNeko
Style_council
MurasakiNeko

I’m 5’7’’ too (: I often wear shorts underneath short dresses and skirts. Spandex shorts are great idea especially if you want them to be perfectly invisible underneath, but I’ve even worn regular short denim shorts under A-line skirts and it’s worked.

Personally I can’t stand the feeling of tights in hot weather, though if it’s not too hot I might wear leggings (for some reason they bother me less in the heat than tights), usually a cropped pair or a regular pair sort of scrunched up. Not everyone likes the cropped legging look though, so YMMV.

And I really like barepeppermint’s suggestion of a lacy underskirt or lace shorts, I’ll have to try that myself!

posted over 2 years ago

obsessed1302
Style_council
obsessed1302

I would go with the shorts…The slip would be nice too but if the wind is blowing up your skirt won’t it blow up the slip too?

posted over 2 years ago

GetyourTrashon
Style_council
GetyourTrashon

Hi,
first of all, you wont look disproportionate with an above the knee dress, I’m 5’9 and all of my summer dresses/skirts are that lenght;)
I like to wear boy shorts underneath them just to make sure no one sees anything. Also, you can wear a long cardigan/jacket of light fabric over your dress to reduce the chance of having a wardrobe malfunction!

posted over 2 years ago
REPLY TO DISCUSSION