Forum
SEARCH FORUM:
Facebook
Twitter
Googleplus
cutiepie63
Style_council
cutiepie63

I’m going to be going to some interviews soon for different places like Urban Outfitters, a bookstore, a department store, etc. I’m only 16 and I can’t pull off the business skirt with a button up. I look like I’m trying too hard. What could I wear that looks age appropriate, but still professional?

posted about 2 years ago
tightsandtea
Style_council
tightsandtea

honestly I don’t think you need to dress up—as long as you don’t dress in a way that sends red flags you should be fine (like thinking clubbing clothes are interview apparel).

I worked a couple part-time jobs in HS, but I know the job market is different now than it was 5 years ago. I just wore dark jeans, a cardigan, flats, and an appropriate not-skin-tight-or-see-through blouse. if you want to make it a little more formal, wear black cotton pants and stick to neutral colors (blue, black, nude, white).

I think as long as you keep the blouse somewhat formal, you should be fine—i.e. no band tees or anything. don’t wear heavy makeup or perfume, and if your hair is always in your eyes or you have a tendency to play with your hair, clip it back or put it in a bun.

just a warning though—it might be hard trying to get a job at 16 since you’re competing with people who are either more experienced or perceived as “more mature” (not fair, I know). if you know any friends’ parents who need some temporary help at their store, or could use a personal assistant, that’s a great way to at least have something down on your resume. volunteering (esp at events where you handled cash) can also help.

posted about 2 years ago

fashion_nerd
Style_council
fashion_nerd

Since your 16 and these are retail jobs, I would avoid the career professional look (pencil skirts, suits, blazers, etc), and stick with trousers, cardigans, button downs, and fun accessories.

Tailor your look to the type of clothing sold in the store. For Urban Outfitters, keep it preppy and cool; Hot Topic think punk but professional; a bookstore, black pants + button down + cardigan (think hip librarian style); department store look would vary depending on which one we’re talking about. You want your apparel to convey that you would be a good fit for their store.

You don’t want to blend in with the racks though – make your wardrobe appropriate, but make it yours. Add an accessory (necklace, scarf, bag, etc) that is uniquely you (but not over the top or offensive).

Good luck!!!

posted about 2 years ago

cynchmolina
Style_council
cynchmolina

Just smart casual, wear something with a collar, and add some nice gold/silver accessories, wear a nice pair of form-fitting jeans and pumps. :)

posted about 2 years ago

lloydandfloyd
New_user lloydandfloyd is new to Chictopia!

Make Her Feel Welcome with Chic Points
10 points - Become a fan
5 points - Vote her photos into the Style Gallery
1 point - Post a comment on her photos

When lloydandfloyd reaches 200 Chic Points, she will be in the Style Council!
lloydandfloyd

I think it’s all very basic. You can try some black pants, or neat black skinny jeans. Wear a t-shirt that doesn’t have crazy embellishments or inappropriate graphics, and then add a simple blazer to it. Don’t wear heels or sneakers; flats are your best choice, especially if you’re going to work in a store you will stand up all day in; you want to show them that you can wear comfortable footwear, i think.

posted about 2 years ago

ninnda
Style_council
ninnda

hey, I’ve ever experiences like that! well, I wore my shirt with my pants (not jeans). maybe you can wear blouse with collar and blazer, just make it casual but smart. :) good luck!

posted about 2 years ago

Aparajita
Style_council
Aparajita

I suggest opting for a neutral palette.
Black/ dark skinny jeans, a basic top of your choice and a blazer to top it off.
http://pavlyn.files.wordpress.com/2012/03/kim-kardashian-white-blazer-with-black-leggings.jpg

posted about 2 years ago

MollyRose
New_user MollyRose is new to Chictopia!

10 points - Become a fan

When MollyRose reaches 200 Chic Points, she will be in the Style Council!
MollyRose

Go for the girl-next-door type look but individualized and tailored to the store. Urban: go for skinny jeans (NO HOLES EVER!! Youll be automatically disregarded) a leather satchel one of the white (or small simple patterened) loose tank tops they’re known for layered under a classic solid (ie black or beige or grey) cardigan (h&m always has great basics.
bookstore: go for either black skinny jeans or trousers (kakhis or kakhi colored cords) and a simple (but very nice! Again try one of h&Ms basics) tee under a nice jacket or cardigan (it makes the outfit look more professional bit not overly so.)
Department store: go for the same type of look. Probably nice jeans and a shirt and cardigan. Dress nice, but dress nicer if its a nicer department store. Like if its nordstroms up it with maybe black jeans and some really nice jewelry: pearls or some Tiffany or chandler silver necklaces.
ALSO: always wear nice flats! NEVER heels. Itll send the wrong gibe for the type pf job yopur interviewing for. Just remember go for simple and classy. Don’t wear anything that shoes to much skin. Think Audrey Hepburn and grace Kelly elegance.
good luck, I hope this helps!!

posted about 2 years ago

mare_santos
Style_council
mare_santos

black pants with heels and a shoulder covered top, easy n pro

posted almost 2 years ago

F4SHI0N
Style_council
F4SHI0N

It depends on the place!
Basically, look neat and tidy-take care of your appearance.
For a department store/library: Nice blazer, tidy hair(bun,braid, just keep it out of your face), wedges work, nice skirt,simple accesories.
For urban or other trendy stores like F21:let them know your knowledge of trends, but keep it professional. I would suggest a blazer, over a black high low skirt, heels, nice makeup, etc.
That’s the best i can think of, good luck!

mercik
Style_council
mercik

Depends on the place.
No matter how casual it is never wear jeans.
I have a very laid back style so when I go to an interview I always wear a plain grey skirt, white skirt and blazer. with low pumps and cute bag.
You dont have to be “matchy matchy” but look clean and polished.
I dont like business attire. I am not the business type.

sbballc11
New_user sbballc11 is new to Chictopia!

10 points - Become a fan

When sbballc11 reaches 200 Chic Points, she will be in the Style Council!
sbballc11

When you are apply to a clothing store, try to wear that stores clothing to the interview. That is a PLUS!! This is what my business teacher has told me when it comes to appearing professional. Knee length tights skirts, solid color, or kaki pants. The shoes should coordinate with your outfit. Don’t wear peep shoes, wedges, sandals, or anything else that similar. Wear heels that you can easily walk in or flats. Wear your hair up in a ponytail, minimal makeup, and a top that doesn’t show cleavage. Also, try to get a top or a jacket that goes to your elbows or below. It may be hot, but businesses will like that you looked nice for the interview. I follow all of these rules when I applied for my job. My boss was certainly pleased. Hope this helps!

REPLY TO DISCUSSION