Forum
SEARCH FORUM:
Facebook
Twitter
Googleplus
tightsandtea
Style_council
tightsandtea

I was just curious what other people did. I usually go through my clothes every season and sort them by:
A. closet keeper.
B. garage: clothes I never wear often enough, but don’t want to part with
C. donate
D. trash: no human being could wear this (usually really worn shoes).

When I moved to my college town, my parents literally stuffed the clothes I didn’t wear often enough into random boxes and bags, which are just kind of piled in a small corner of the garage.

do you have a more efficient way of dealing with them? I go through them every once in a while and rediscover things I love, so I don’t want to part with them. I don’t have an excessive amount of clothing, I just have very limited closet space.

posted over 2 years ago
BleakandWet
Style_council
BleakandWet

I often go through what I don’t wear and think of ways to change them so i will wear it. Though sometimes, the damage done from scissors can be irreversible (r.i.p. my soft black cotton tee).

posted over 2 years ago

MyAlexasStore
Style_council
MyAlexasStore

I dontate them. Unless it’s almost brand new I will see if a friend wants it.

posted over 2 years ago

AnErin
Style_council
AnErin

My wardrobe update ritual –
Break out clothes for new season (summer and winter are my main ones)
Rummage for stuff I know I won’t wear, wonder why I kept it, set aside.
From this pile, I throw out stuff that is just icky and the good stuff I give to a friend who wears a similar size.

Then with what is left, hang it up to get ready or go shopping for coordinating tops or bottoms.

posted over 2 years ago

JanelleEfe
Style_council
JanelleEfe

I either edit them into something I like or donate them. No use hanging onto clothing you won’t wear!

posted over 2 years ago

F4SHI0N
Style_council
F4SHI0N

i give it away to orphans/unfortunate people,it feels good and you don’t put it to waste!

posted over 2 years ago

Umbrellastripes
Style_council
Umbrellastripes

If I think it could look good then I will sew it up and alter it, if not then I donate it.

posted over 2 years ago

Lucyim
Style_council
Lucyim

if you are near a buffalo exchange and can put in the effort to re-do any buttons, torn seams or holes, they have a decent cash/trade rate. otherwise, they will lower the value of your clothes and give you less than expected. i suggest donating to goodwill or st. vincent de paul. the latter over the former, since st. vincent de paul does a great job reaching out to the non-profits and helping those in need.

or try clothing swaps.

posted over 2 years ago

beeanca
Style_council
beeanca

I try not to be a clothing hoarder but sometimes clothes are just too hard to let go of. I usually give my old clothes to my cousin who’s 15. Stuff that she won’t wear I usually just donate. My friends and I are planning on having a private garage sale soon to sell and swap our items amongst ourselves. It’s a great way to change up your wardrobe without being wasteful.

posted over 2 years ago

obsessed1302
Style_council
obsessed1302

I usually donate my stuff….but I do hold on to my clothese for awhile…usually they just sit in my closet…or I will alter them to make them ‘fresh’ again…

posted over 2 years ago

canyoupasstheglitter
Style_council
canyoupassth...

I usually donate them or keep them and rewear them when I have an outfit in mind for it!

posted over 2 years ago

FelicitaHioe
Style_council
FelicitaHioe

or you are bored with them? Fashion is cycling, dear ^^

So in my opinion, make some DIY project from those clothes (you can choose, do you like the prints? use as scarf! etc.

Or you can buy some new outfit especially outers so you can match your “garage clothes” to your new pieces!

I think you have to re-arrange the way you sort your clothes. I mean, if you labeled a box with “garage” or “un used”, your mind forbid your creativity in fashion to try to mix your outfits into a new look.

So, how about sort your outfits by colours, materials, or prints? Me, I sort my wardrobe by sleeveless, sleeve, long sleeve, shirt, outers, jeans, shorts, skirt.
What do you think?

posted over 2 years ago

BleakandWet
Style_council
BleakandWet

@JanelleEfe: I use the word ‘edit’ too!

posted over 2 years ago

cynchmolina
Style_council
cynchmolina

What I do is reevaluate and see if it’s still worth keeping; else, I’ll sell them. :)

posted over 2 years ago

claudiakitten
Style_council
claudiakitten

I store it in the garage..I’m a huge clothing pack rat:P

posted over 2 years ago

kaizersoze
New_user kaizersoze is new to Chictopia!

Make Him Feel Welcome with Chic Points
10 points - Become a fan
5 points - Vote his photos into the Style Gallery
1 point - Post a comment on his photos

When kaizersoze reaches 200 Chic Points, he will be in the Style Council!
kaizersoze

I throw them away within minutes. Hate having extra crap I don’t need.

posted over 2 years ago

lloydandfloyd
New_user lloydandfloyd is new to Chictopia!

Make Her Feel Welcome with Chic Points
10 points - Become a fan
5 points - Vote her photos into the Style Gallery
1 point - Post a comment on her photos

When lloydandfloyd reaches 200 Chic Points, she will be in the Style Council!
lloydandfloyd

Give them to Goodwill, or if you’re good at DIY, you can make some of the nice ones into something new

posted over 2 years ago

DOMOnation
Style_council
DOMOnation

what I like to do is reconstruct the things I’m bored with like cutting it up adding spikes or studs stuff like that donate the things I know I will never wear again and if something is damaged beyond repair toss it

posted over 2 years ago

Blessedwithmusic
Style_council
Blessedwithm...

I always try not to buy more than I need. I also only buy clothing that I know I will love and will be able to work into multiple outfits. If I want to get rid of some items, I try to sell them to the resale shops in my town first. Whatever isn’t accepted by them gets donated to charities. Clothing swaps with friends are a super fun way of getting rid of old clothes, but then you end up with different items and it doesn’t really clear up space :)

posted about 1 year ago

KatieLikeMe
Style_council
KatieLikeMe

I sell them. Usually to Plato’s Closet, because they tend to pay a bit more here than other stores.
I also am starting an online thrift store to sell my old clothes, so that’s what I do, too.

posted about 1 year ago
REPLY TO DISCUSSION