Forum
SEARCH FORUM:
Facebook
Twitter
Googleplus
Cassaela
Style_council
Cassaela

In the forseeable future I will be going to interviews in the hope that some nice university will take me in and teach me Science. I want to buy the minimum amount of clothes to wear to the interviews. I found a very simple smart dress in my sister’s wardrobe so I would like to use that.

Context: UK. Applying for a science-related course. Size 8 (UK), 1.66m tall.

So this is what I have so far. Without the frilly socks of course.

What kind of jacket, style and colour, would go with a dress like this? I am swimming in hosiery so once I’ve a jacket, tights should be easy.

Thanks!
Undercover Dress-Up Lover

posted over 1 year ago
tightsandtea
Style_council
tightsandtea

Since the dress is already structured, I would go with a cardigan instead of a blazer; but either way would probably be fine. If you want to wear jewelry, avoid distracting, dangly, bold pieces that would only serve to distract. The one you have pictured is probably fine, though more classic options would be a short pearl or gold chain necklace.

I can’t really find any pics of what I’m talking about but this gives you a general idea for the silhouette. I’d go with a thin black belt, a white or cream-colored cardigan (full sleeve or 3/4 sleeve), and a necklace if you feel the outfit would be stark otherwise.

In my opinion, if a dress or skirt is knee-length or longer, tights are optional (you are in high school after all). If you do want to wear tights to feel more professional, opt for nude hosiery as black tights would look a little heavy with a long black dress (just make sure you have pantyhose that matches your skin tone).

posted over 1 year ago

Cassaela
Style_council
Cassaela

I love the pic you linked me to and it looks great, but I am set on wearing a jacket with it.
The unis I hope to apply to are quite prestigious and one of the uni’s websites explicitly suggests a jacket.
I will definitely be wearing tights, due to weather in UK, and it looks a lot more smart IMO. I am thinking of plum-coloured tights if the jacket is black, though I don’t have a suitable jacket yet xD
Thank you for your reply!

posted over 1 year ago

ourMode
Style_council
ourMode

I work part time in a retail store that specializes in professional attire. We dress women that are doing interviews or want to add office- outfits to their wardrobe. I think the dress is okay to be worn without hosiery at all, but you should wear a blazer. Try not to show shoulders for a professional interview. Your blazer doesn’t need to be a classic black one, but you definitely should wear one.

[www.ourmode.ca]

posted over 1 year ago

tightsandtea
Style_council
tightsandtea

definitely wear whatever keeps you warm—I live in CA where winter lasts all of a month lol. I would personally avoid colorful tights, if this is a professional interview.

As for jackets—if cardigans are too informal, go for a blazer. avoid ‘boyfriend blazers’ (e.g. long oversized jackets), as they look more ‘trendy’ than professional. same with ultra-cropped tight blazers.

If you think white would look too stark, you could go for a grey blazer in a heavy fabric. e.g., here. this length or like this would probably work best. If you want to break up the monotone color palette, you could wear a thin brown belt (e.g. here). good luck!

posted over 1 year ago
REPLY TO DISCUSSION