Forum
SEARCH FORUM:
Facebook
Twitter
Googleplus
renatasnmgl
Style_council
renatasnmgl

Hi there im a 27yo Transgender mtf girl im having many many issues on finding out what to wear as my body still does have many male aspects, so as you may think many female clothes looks sort of weird on me….i really dont like wearing male clothing…maybe anyone here could help me on a style guide?….heres a picture http://cl.ly/1A2u0A1l0R0a0l2i0h0D of my body maybe it could help (currently im a size 12) thks in advance for your help :)

posted about 2 years ago
lisakiyomoto
Style_council
lisakiyomoto

You should just wear what you like wearing :) but if you are worried about it ‘looking weird’ on your body pick garments that will give you a natural feminine shape, like dresses/skirts that cinch in at the waist and flare out. Also a loose dress or shirt, is good because you cant tell what sort of body is underneath and again you can use a belt to give it a feminine shape if that’s what you’re after :)

posted about 2 years ago

BleakandWet
Style_council
BleakandWet

Definitely go for skirts, especially long flowy ones which are extremely feminine. Also, pick clothes that work together to emphasise your waist and give you an hourglass shape, like peplum.

posted about 2 years ago

FauveAndHunter
Style_council
FauveAndHunter

Hi sweetie, try looking for flowing maxi skirts, in silks or good jersey cotton, blazers are always a universal key to looking good.. I like brands like Rick Owen, Alexander Wang, and Helmut Lang because they tend to transcend gender, they can be pretty pricey, but maybe check out their clothing just for some inspiration. It doesn’t matter what body you have, the most important thing is to drape it in beautiful things. <3

posted about 2 years ago

renatasnmgl
Style_council
renatasnmgl

Thks to all for the help :) i hope to post a pic soon with a new look :)

posted about 2 years ago

tightsandtea
Style_council
tightsandtea

The key to clothing is proportion and balance—if you want to accent something you like about your body, you have to keep in mind how that makes your figure as a whole look.

e.g. I’m pear-shaped, so if I wear jeans w/a tight shirt that accents my waist, it’ll make me look even more unbalanced. It might help to search for clothes that accent an “athletic figure”—i.e. broad shoulders and slim hips. sites like this might help you get some inspiration.

For something casual, you could wear a high-waisted a-line (i.e. flared not fitted) skirt with a blouse tucked in, and a cardigan. the high-waisted skirt will add more volume to your hips, to balance your shoulders (thereby emphasizing your waist). soft and unstructured pieces like cardigans would probably flatter better than stiff and structured blazers. the more clothing combinations you try, the better you’ll understand your body :).

posted about 2 years ago

cutiepie63
Style_council
cutiepie63

You definitely want to look into balance and proportion. Wear clothing that emphasize and create an hourglass shape. Here is a link to dressing a boyish/athletic body type.
http://plussize.about.com/od/stylebasics/ht/dressathletic.htm

You might want to look into androgynous clothing for casual clothing. I don’t know if this is what you are looking for, but I’ve noticed a lot of gay men wear cardigans or scarves and pull it off well. You probably don’t want very structured clothing, and soft cardigans would be a bit more feminine. Try looking at clothing for skinny, white girls. Stores like H&M, Express and Forever 21 are made for girls with smaller busts and less hips. Even if you get a bigger size, it will still be more proportional. You won’t have a ton of shirts with loose fabric at the front. Also, these stores have both male and female clothing. Although you are looking for female clothing, some articles of clothing from the male section might just fit better. Also, the male clothing from these stores isn’t very masculine either.

As a girl that is a little flat chested, I know of some dos and don’ts. Deep v-necks, and very loose clothing usually makes you look flatter. Ruffles on shirts, empire/high waisted clothing, and gathering and cinching work magic.
Some examples of dos:
http://www.millionlooks.com/images/bust-pleats.jpg
http://www.arizonafoothillsmagazine.com/afm-style-files/wp-content/uploads/abs_high_waisted_frock.jpg
http://lisawelge.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/front-thumb.jpg

And if you want to look more feminine, please do not overdo it or learn to do it right. It has the opposite effect otherwise. I live in a pretty tolerant and diverse city and I have grown up around plenty of transgenders. I have absolutely no problem with it. However, a solid minority wears obnoxiously bright and poorly put on lipstick with a ton of eyeshadow that does not look good on anyone. Experiment with any dramatic clothing or makeup before you leave the house. It’s perfectly fine to wear heavy makeup or dramatic clothing as long as it’s worn well.

posted about 2 years ago

AnErin
Style_council
AnErin

The best things to do with fashion in this case is to dress as genetic women your own age and weight would dress. Well that and find your particular style. Shop at places that cater to women your age. That means maybe Forever 21 and the like. Avoid old-lady shops like Kohls.
JCP sometimes has nice things too. But like Kohl’s, JCP also has the old lady line (usually in the plus size area which you would not fit anyways being a size 12)
If you dress too young though, it is a dead giveaway for being TG. If you dress to blend in or at least have your look together, some people are still going to know but will take you more serious as a person (and maybe even as a woman)

One does what they can to emphasize the good and hide the bad of course. I would honestly say don’t obsess too much over “Wearing a particular type of garment” but instead just try to avoid those garments that emphasize male features too much. Well like if you have linebacker shoulders, maybe avoid sleeveless shirts. Finding clothes one likes is a nightmare to begin with but don’t make it harder by narrowing your fashion too much. Even if you did that, you would soon get bored with the things you have.

Things you can do to fake it – a waist belt seems to create an illusion of hips unless your shirt/blouse is too tight. It just offers separation between top and bottom.
Another thing – do NOT tuck a shirt into slacks or jeans. It is a very male look. the shirt can hide the hips somewhat or if you do the belt thing, might flair the shirts a bit to make hips a bit.

Some TG take all these drastic clothing measures each day to look as good as they can but who wants to fart around with all that every day? I mean like hip and butt pads, huge bangles to hide hand size, etc… can be fun but it would get old quick.

With a style guide – the best you could hope for there is more headaches. You would be better off just seeing what kind of things they have at the local Forever 21 and such. Avoid thrift stores unless you really know what you are doing with your look.

My style – I tend to like nice tops and jeans or shorts (Jean or black in whatever material). I dislike wearing most skirts, and I refuse to wear dresses.

Well, I certainly had a lot to say about this, now didn’t I? ;)

posted about 2 years ago

renatasnmgl
Style_council
renatasnmgl

Woow thks allot for all of your great help i really appreciate a lot the time you take to answer in to this post :D

posted about 2 years ago

RachelPheasant
Style_council
RachelPheasant

For tops: I might suggest finding garments with shoulder pads, taking them to your tailor and having them removed. You might be slightly broader in the shoulders than a woman your age/size and these pieces are built with a little extra space where you might need it. Also a lot of high quality adult stores—like babeland will carry gear to help you bind/accentuate certain parts of your anatomy to help you feel more comfortable. I would def. check out the queer blogging community, a lot of people now review products/have tips regarding how to dress for gender nonconforming individuals.

posted about 2 years ago

Reybeltane
Style_council
Reybeltane

I’d say definitely try to “create” a feminine waist if you can. Belting a skirt or dress a little higher up than your biological man’s waist will help with that, as well as finding tops or dresses with a peplum flair at the center. I would stay away from super tight or super shiny fabrics just because they really don’t look very nice on many of us who were born girls, either, and might be harder to pull off on a stockier build. If you have broader shoulders you might also want to avoid tank tops or strapless dresses, or if you wear them, put on a necklace as well so as not to draw attention. Wear shoes you can walk in. I say this to girls as well. High heels are only gorgeous if you can walk in them properly, otherwise people just look sloppy and drunk.

But I agree with one of the first comments you got: wear things you like! try and find a shopping buddy who’s around your size—either male or female—and don’t shop with people whom you’d never be able to share clothes with because you’ll be more likely to feel discouraged when you see them wearing something that just isn’t the fit for you.

My roommate is transitioning too, by the way, but she’s FtM so usually I’m helping her bind and figuring out how to bulk her up rather than slim someone down. hehe I hope any of this helps! I applaud you for having such an amazing sense of self for being able to do this. I know most of us cisgenders will probably never have to make such a deeply personal, yet eventually freeing decision. Good luck with everything! <3

posted about 2 years ago

renatasnmgl
Style_council
renatasnmgl

Thks Reybeltane for the nice advise i appreciate it allot, i hope everything goes well for your roommate as for you too :) and i applaud you back for being there for you friend :) XOXO’s

posted almost 2 years ago
REPLY TO DISCUSSION