Forum
SEARCH FORUM:
Facebook
Twitter
Googleplus
AylxRaye
Style_council
AylxRaye

I have recently moved from a semi-tropical climate. In my new home it can get quite cold and the wind will make you want to scream. Im seeking advice on what items to begin my wardrobe makeover with. Please help!

posted over 4 years ago
Stouchy
Style_council
Stouchy

Well, aside from all outdoor essentials (eg: coat with hoodie—down coats are the best but can get pretty $$, gloves, furry boots, and hats!..oh and ear muffs are cute to complete and outfit)

It also depends what you consider cold. Where I live, it’s winter 7 mths a year at -15 and is super windy.
I find the best way to survive winter is to put on tons of layers!
Say you wear a long sleeve top or a racer back, then you add a cardigan or a blazer and then maybe a sweater if you get cold easily.
For the bottom, try wearing tights under your jeans/pants.

But then again, remember that you’re not going to be outdoors for more than 15min at a time and all places should have heating. that’s when you can peel off some layers. lol

For the house, keep some thick socks to keep your toes warm !!

posted over 4 years ago

ladyj88
Style_council
ladyj88

1. soft and functional scarf(cashmere or wool)
2. whatever jacket the weather calls for-i live in KY where weather changes often and i have two leather jackets, two wool coats and a north face for those in between times.
3. boots. weather proof. so wellies or warm insulated ones.
4. gloves- one pair leather and insulated, one pair soft/warm i have some cashmere ones for the gap
5.wardrobe-this is the most important. skinny pants that fit into those boots, warm shirts or layers, i love hoodies and hanes vnecks. GOOD SOCKS ARE NECCESSARY!!

posted over 4 years ago

Tashhh
Style_council
Tashhh

Layers are most important in cold weather, so having lots of clothes you can layer help a lot. I think it’s better to have multiple cardigan/pieces that are a bit thinner than a really warm sweater because it’s easier to adjust to the temperature when you go indoors.
A big, thick scarf helps keep the wind from blowing in through the top of your coat, and if it’s extremely cold you can pull it up to cover part of your face.
A warm hat helps to keep heat in because the head is where it mostly escapes from.
Warm, good quality snow/waterproof boots to keep your feet from being cold and wet makes a huge difference.
Lastly, a few pairs of tights so you can either layer them under jeans for extra warmth or wear multiple pairs if you decide to wear a dress or skirt.

posted over 4 years ago

New_user 7686 is new to Chictopia!

Make Her Feel Welcome with Chic Points
10 points - Become a fan
5 points - Vote her photos into the Style Gallery
1 point - Post a comment on her photos

When 7686 reaches 200 Chic Points, she will be in the Style Council!

I’m in the same boat. I moved from California to the midwest a few months ago, and I am a little scared about what is to come!

I’ve discovered that rainboots are really great for rain and snow. You can wear huge fuzzy socks in them and if you find a good pair, they can actually be pretty cute.

My little jackets from home are just not cutting it. BUT since they are so thin, they are great for layering (as everyone else said). Don’t disregard what you used to wear in the Winter, just add it on! Plus, layers can look really great with different textures and lengths.

I haven’t used them yet but my sister gave me some little earmuffs that go underneath your hair. They’re pretty unnoticeable and they don’t mess up your hair.

I think the trick is to cover up as much of your body as possible. Just know that when you are cold and dreaming of your warmer home, I WILL BE TOO!

posted over 4 years ago

KaitSims
Style_council
KaitSims

I agree with everyone here! Layers, tights, scarves are all key items. Depending on how cold it is and if they salt your roads I would recommend rainboots like @cordeliajoy mentioned. I moved to Toronto, Canada and they salt their roads like crazy – I’ve ruined too many boots. Riding boots are a good option, they’re waterproof and stylish. I have a pair that I got for $10 at a garage sale and they’re definitely my favourite and super functional

posted over 4 years ago

ClothesHorse
Style_icon
ClothesHorse

1. hats (berets, fedoras, bowlers, knit caps, etc)
2. boots (tall ones keep your legs super warm)
3. fun tights
4. a chic coat (look for something with personality: color/pattern, since you’re going to HAVE to wear it a lot)
5. gloves (it’s important to keep your extremities warm!)

posted over 4 years ago

SarahJaneR
Style_council
SarahJaneR

1. A great coat
2. A casual jacket (denim, leather, etc)
3. Boots
4. Tights/Leggings
5. Scarves

posted over 4 years ago

plastikneon
Style_icon
plastikneon

1. Coat (you’ll be wearing this A LOT, so pick something fun that you won’t see yourself getting sick of, remember black will easily show hair/dirt (if you have pets this could be an issue…I learned this the hard way)

2. Boots!: have a pair that you won’t mind getting all that snowy dirty slush on when walking around.

3. Tights/Legwarmers/Thick Socks: American Apparel has a great selection of thick knit thigh-high socks that always manage to keep my legs warm in the coldest of weather.

4. Gloves: This is an easy and inexpensive way to add some prints or pops of color into an outfit, I always keep a spare pair in my car.

5. Scarves & Hats (it’s a tie for me): My ears are always freezing so hats are an essential, I love knit ones because I can easily throw them in almost any size bag once I get inside.

posted over 4 years ago

Alona
Style_council
Alona

1 coat
2 boots
3 tights
4 pretty hot dress
5 a hot pullover but which makes granny not ^^

posted over 4 years ago

annawintourwannabeee
Style_council
annawintourw...

outdoor
1 coat – i usually buy one a year to keep current. i’m looking for the perfect pea coat right now
2 boots – i just got a pair of SOREL’s that i love
3 hats/scarves/mittens – i don’t care if they’re knit, felt, silk or fleece you can never have enough
4 purse/bag – when going out i wear a bag big enough to carry my excess layers when i come in from the cold and a smaller purse for keys/money/lipbalm etc.
5 lipbalm – i like soft lips

indoor
1 sweater – i like knits
2 tights – great for layering if necessary
3 dress – i love wearing dresses
4 hair bobbles – in case of hat head
5 lipbalm – again, i like soft lips

posted over 4 years ago

AylxRaye
Style_council
AylxRaye

Thanks so much guys! All of your advice has been thoughtful and tremendously helpful especially for those long hikes between classes. Your responses have been my regular go-to guide :)

posted over 4 years ago

ninafouche
Style_council
ninafouche

1) leggings (even if it isn’t always very warm)
2) scarves, scarves, scarves
3) a really elegant pair of leather gloves
4) a great wedge ankle boot
5) a form-fitting coat

posted 11 months ago
REPLY TO DISCUSSION