Forum
SEARCH FORUM:
Facebook
Twitter
Googleplus
ashlynleigh
Style_council
ashlynleigh

Hi everyone, I’m Ashlyn! Anyways, I have a dillema, my calves are very muscular (though I love soccer, I hate the legs it can give you!) and they are 15 inches around at the widest part. I’m embarressed by them and I think that if I wore patterened stockings it would look bad.

Now, I dont know if they really are big, or I’m just self consious, so it would really help me if you could share your calve’s size so I can look at your pictures and see what would work for me. So do you think it would look bad (be honest because being chic is about looking good and knowing what flatters our body!) Thanks!

posted almost 5 years ago
coldlight
Style_council
coldlight

Welcome to chictopia :) My calves are about 35cm… I think that’s almost 14 inches. Yours are perfectly fine!
Sometimes I feel like my calves are too big as well, but that never stops me from wearing coloured or patterned stockings! Seriously, I’m obsessed with them :)
It’s true that lighter coloured tights will make your legs appear a bit wider than they are, so if you want to wear white tights, try sheer ones instead of opaque, and patterned ones are even better.
Darker tights can be more flattering and are easier to match stuff with. If you’re still worried, maybe start off with wearing some over the knee socks over the tights so there’s just a bit of the pattern peeping out the top.
Also try wearing patterned tights with an interesting high waist belt, or a fancy top or necklace, so that the tights still stand out but aren’t the only focal point in your outfit. Be confident!
There are lots of examples on my chicblog of outfits where i’m wearing coloured or patterned tights, if you want to check them out :) good luck!

ashlynleigh
Style_council
ashlynleigh

Thanks, hello to you too! I was looking at your outfits and I can see I’m overeacting, your calves are teeny! Do you know of any places with good quality black opaque tights with dots on them?

invigorate
Style_council
invigorate

H&M has the dot tights, and so does Topshop. Although I personally recommend H&M :)

fioreblume
Style_council
fioreblume

hi, I have big calves too. About 14 inches. But I love tights. I have some pictures when I wore them. Check my blog also if you like.
So, I think it’s alright whether you have big calves or not. Confidence is the most important thing. :)

fioreblume

jo_branscomb
Style_council
jo_branscomb

Anybody can wear leggings its just how u wear them

ashlynleigh
Style_council
ashlynleigh

Thanks everyone, really! MissMi, I looked at your profile and you are beyond gorgeous and have the perfect body! I’m still a tad scared though but I’ll try to get over it. :)

illustratekate
Style_council
illustratekate

the best thing to remember is that no one else would actually even notice your calves (do you obsess over other people’s figures? of course not)… i’ll bet if you pointed it out to a friend she would just say, “what do you mean, your big calves?” being self conscious is normal, but the truth is if you’re a cute girl in a cute outfit, then everyone’s happy.

jliu13
Style_council
jliu13

I feel the exact same way as you, but just remember that everyone is different, so comparing yourself to others is like trying to compare the textures of soup and apples; it just won’t work because they don’t even fall under the same food-category. Wearing leggings always looks good in my opinion, whether a person has big calves or not.

talkanatalka
Style_council
talkanatalka

hiii! don’t worry about it, for sure! i’m a lot bigger (overweight actually, but working on it!!) and i think the key is to be tactful about it. obviously, wearing bright white tights with a very short skirt could bring a lot of attention to the area, and wouldn’t flatter it. but everyone looks good in a pair of dark tights/leggings!

it sounds like you know what looks good/doesn’t on your body, and that’s awesome :). if nothing else, you’ll at least have tried it! :)

xvavavava
Style_council
xvavavava

soo i measured my calves and my dominant leg is 13" at the widest part, and if i imagine it 2 inches larger around i really don’t think it would look weird at all! i’m sure your legs are super toned and nice, something that many people can’t say for themselves!

ljurbanchic
Style_council
ljurbanchic

i used to worry about the same thing- except with my butt! lol xD tho i dont anymore, when i used to play soccer my friends would always jokingly tease me about my “soccer butt”. they would poke it (haha) and marvel at how firm it was (“like a rock!” they’d say). it used to make me a bit self conscious, especially about wearing shorts, or leggings. so one day i told them of my worries and they where surprised! they told me that all the stuff they said about my soccer butt were compliments, and that they only wished they had toned legs like mine, so much they planned to maybe play soccer too! tho i have yet to measure my calves (i cant find the darn measuring tape! but i’d say mine are probably 14-15 inches too)-i say be proud of your soccer muscles! they are beautiful! :D and with leggings if your still shy, always go with darker colored ones, because dark colors (especially black) really are quite slimming. and with patterns, i was at forever21 in the dressing room, trying on these faded red and blue plaid leggings, with a light blue slouchy sweater. i liked the sweater, but i literally stood looking at myself for 20 mins debating on if looked good in the leggings. finally i came to the conclusion that even tho the leggings were pretty eye-catching-the sweater helped tone it down a bit. and that i actually looked pretty cute! so maybe try pairing patterned tights with a solid top. and remember-if you’ve got it, flaunt it! thats my motto ;) (oh and srry this is so long! lol)

inthenameoffashion
Style_council
inthenameoff...

Oh my. My calves are very strong and big too. I run alot and dance so they remain thick and solid. I wear tights and leggings all the time and I actually get compliments from both men and women who appreciate how toned they are. Many women say they only wish thiers were like mine.Sweety strong calves are good, and yours represent your dedication to soccer. You’ve got to grow to love them, and i’m sure you will in due time. My calves are 17 and 3/4 inches around. I have a pic in tights on mychicblog, you tell me, do they look bad???

posted over 3 years ago

CutCopyPaste
Style_council
CutCopyPaste

No such thing as a size limit for clothing.

posted over 3 years ago

tightsandtea
Style_council
tightsandtea

no one can ever be too big for tights! If anything, tights are the most slimming legwear, depending on the length of dress/short/etc you wear it with. Because of that sort-of gradient illusion where it’s most opaque on the edges, it makes your legs look slimmer. I’m slightly pear-shaped, so wearing a dress with tights helps balance my figure.

It’s more a general rule than anything else, but if you’re self-conscious of your legs, don’t wear anything that will attract attention to them—i.e. bright. funky colors. i.e. you’d have to be very slim to pull off opaque white tights or funky polka dots or horizontal stripes. If you’re going to wear patterned stockings, wear something subtle but chic—I lovelovelove tights (hence my blog’s name), but if they have patterns they’re usually not in a separate color.

As for leggings, go for something full-length, down to the ankle. Anything shorter will just cut off your legs at what may not be the most flattering length—but that’s just because I’m not a fan of capri leggings. Overall, no matter your size, there’s nothing that dictates that you can’t look just as good in something :) you just have to be mindful of balancing your figure and accenting your assets!

posted over 3 years ago

JanelleEfe
Style_council
JanelleEfe

Goodness woman, don’t be so silly! I thought this was going to be a post about SIZE (you know, i.e. “i’m a bigger girl”). being toned is SEXY. that, and it’s all about curves…that includes your legs. big thighs, small knees, big calves, small ankles…that’s a whole set of cuves right there. NO one, and I do mean NOBODY is going to judge you for having toned muscles.

The ONLY reason I would discourage someone from wearing leggings or tights is if their cellulite shows through(which is why I don’t wear leggings as pants!).

Do you, girlie. if you want to wear patterned stockings, go for it.

posted over 3 years ago

MaryAlice
New_user MaryAlice is new to Chictopia!

Make Her Feel Welcome with Chic Points
10 points - Become a fan
5 points - Vote her photos into the Style Gallery
1 point - Post a comment on her photos

When MaryAlice reaches 200 Chic Points, she will be in the Style Council!
MaryAlice

dark tights work best i have 14 1/2 in legs and also tight jeans are also best if your legs are curved and hard muscle also im a hard core runner and the more muscle the better as long as it does make you look like someone on steriods

posted over 3 years ago

amorphous_face
Style_council
amorphous_face

If you have big calves from soccer than I don’t see what the big deal is. Now if they were just fat because you are fat then that might be different.

posted about 2 years ago

SarahNelson
New_user SarahNelson is new to Chictopia!

Make Her Feel Welcome with Chic Points
10 points - Become a fan
5 points - Vote her photos into the Style Gallery
1 point - Post a comment on her photos

When SarahNelson reaches 200 Chic Points, she will be in the Style Council!
SarahNelson

I have been trying every place i can think of for leggings that fit my caffs, even the just my size are to small… Does any one know of a few places i can try? My caffs are 36 inchs :(

posted almost 2 years ago
REPLY TO DISCUSSION