Forum
SEARCH FORUM:
Facebook
Twitter
Googleplus
AnErin
Style_council
AnErin

I hate that expression. It is really kind of a back-handed compliment in a way.

OK so I am not sure how to explain this but here it goes…

We get fashion questions, sometimes people might want to know “What would work with…” but sometimes it is something one might enjoy wearing but feel weird about being seen in public wearing it. I have a couple things like that and what made me think of this was the thread about “fake glasses” (I am indifferent to those, glasses are the last thing I notice unless they are extreme like something Lady Gaga would appreciate)

So do you ever go thru this – you want to wear something or try a new style that you do like but maybe in the back of your mind you are worried about some people judging or whatever?
How does one handle that? How is it possible that we might love to wear something and feel good about our look but also worried that some might not approve? It is like a paradox.

Am I just like crazy since I go thru this sometimes?

My specific “I like it but what would people think?” look is if I wear shorts that fail the “finger tip” test or if I have black hose/tights with shorts. I have the legs for it but still..

So what do you think of this dilemma? Or do I just need to “get over it” and wear what I enjoy?

posted about 2 years ago
catiebeatty
Forum_moderator
catiebeatty

I used to feel that way in high school, but now the feeling is almost completely gone. It comes back on occasion, but only when I’m forced to wear ugly sneakers because my feet hurt too much to wear other shoes. In this case, I don’t like the sneakers so I’m not worried that people won’t understand my style, I’m just worried people won’t think I’m stylish. It makes me sad that I don’t look like a fashion blogger when I’m wearing them :( But I’ve also realized that sneakers are kind of a neutral look and most people don’t notice you’re even wearing them.

I’m lucky to live in a big city where there are lots of styles and different tastes. I feel like I have the freedom to wear whatever I want.

posted about 2 years ago

BeckyBedbug
Style_council
BeckyBedbug

I know exactly what you mean!

Sometimes I have felt unsure leaving the house in something a bit outside of the norm. I just figure that it if makes me feel confident, I’ll probably look great anyway!

posted about 2 years ago

lalipops
Style_council
lalipops

wear what you enjoy

posted about 2 years ago

StffLndg
Style_council
StffLndg

I used to think that way. I have no taste for mainstream fashion – you know what people generally call up-to-date. I have no taste for that kind of mainstream fashion because well, “if I wear like that I’ll just be the same as other people”. I’ve also been rebuilding my wardrobe, filling it with lovely things that I actually like – I don’t care if it’s mainstream or not. I’ve been slowly wearing unusual combination of clothes to class too. That’s where my confidence is built, actually. Up to the point I realized, people’s opinions aren’t important. As long as you enjoy what you wear and you’re comfortable in it, go ahead. 10 years from now you’ll look back at yourself you might think, “I was so interesting & colourful when I was younger. Wow.”

Of course, don’t wear platform heels to a fishmonger’s market.

posted about 2 years ago
REPLY TO DISCUSSION