SEARCH FORUM:
Facebook
Twitter
Googleplus
sarette
Style_council
sarette

Ok, I’ve got a question.
What is the difference between clothes which are secondhand and clothes which are vintage?
Or when do you call something secondhand and when dou you call it vintage?

posted about 6 years ago
foxhuntvintage
Style_council
foxhuntvintage

It’s pretty subjective. Generally speaking, clothes that are culturally indicative to a time period make the grade. Mass-produced clothes used to be a LOT better made, so usually even if it’s a simple item you can tell about the quality just by feel. Different eras also favored different fabrics. Labels and buttons are key giveaways to dating a piece, and zippers are also a clue – plastic zippers are a relatively recent thing (began in the 80’s, i think).
I honestly can’t think of stuff from GAP, H&M, etc as ever really being vintage in the future – their stuff is too widely available, not the best made, and often draws upon so many different eras and styles as to not really be distinct in and of itself. There are also labels that were popular for a time period, so you can often find a windfall of these (connie, jantzen, etienne aigner, nickels, zodiac, pendleton etc)Designer stuff will always be coveted as vintage. But something from two seasons ago is outdated, so I guess there has to be a sufficient period of time to elapse before it’s “vintage”. 10 yrs? 15?
It can be a grey area for sure.

posted about 6 years ago

ScreachingRat
Style_council
ScreachingRat

It’s definitely subjective.
I would say secondhand refers to anything that has been worn before you bought it, whether it’s a gap shirt someone just bought and donated or a 30s dress.
Vintage definitely has to do with age, and I would agree with the 10 to 15 years. I’m not 100% sure that I agree that quality figures in to the definition of vintage, but I would agree that, like evolution, better quality pieces are the ones that survive. But people often talk about vintage concert t-shirts, and there are plenty of people who buy cheap dresses from vintage/secondhand stores that are vintage but are not necessarily fine materials or super-high quality.

posted about 6 years ago

Nikki
Style_council
Nikki

Think of vintage like wine—- it’s got to be a certain age and it only gets more fabulous with time.

posted about 6 years ago

queenelizabeth
Style_icon
queenelizabeth

Vintage clothing has to be distinctively and clearly from another era, whether it’s the style of the clothing or the little details like metal zippers, old tags etc. that let you know it’s old. it’s definitely more special than “secondhand”... as for me, I usually just call it thrifted (since that’s where I get most of my clothes anyway) unless I’m sure it’s actually as old as it looks. To me, “secondhand” is more like hand-me-downs or less unique used clothing.

posted about 6 years ago

lulu
Style_council
lulu

I think much of what is on Ebay is actually thrifted wares…
when I think vintage I think of Ossie Clark, 70s coats, and 20s dresses. Things of that sort.

posted about 6 years ago

PepperEvans
Style_council
PepperEvans

secondhand or used clothes are basically called as such because they are cheaper than brand new ones. Vintage, on the other hand, can be cheaper or costly depending on the style or age of clothing.

posted about 5 years ago

AllyDarling
Style_council
AllyDarling

Vintage I would say is older that the 80’s, but I do carry my Mom’s old Gucci purses from the 80s and I consider them to be “vintage”

Ebay is more secondhand I would say, check out allysoninwonderland.com for great deals on designer “secondhand” items :)

posted about 5 years ago

ClothesHorse
Style_icon
ClothesHorse

Vintage is older; I personally believe vintage starts in the 70s and goes back. Secondhand is newer and more often mass-produced items. But seriously, you can’t call anything produced in the 90s vintage!

posted about 5 years ago

SpammishRice
Style_council
SpammishRice

As I’ve gotten older, I’ve noticed that the definition of vintage is something like, “anything from 20 or more years ago”. Ten or so years ago, a shirt from the ‘80s was NOT vintage. Today, stores and sellers are claiming it IS vintage, regardless of designer, label, or actual worth at the time of manufacturing. And now, while we’re on our way to 2010, I’m seeing a pattern of early ’90s stuff being sold in thrift stores and on the internet labeled as “vintage”.

Even the new stuff coming out resembles early 90s fashion — harem pants, oversized blazers, leather leggings, body con and baby doll dresses, flannel shirts, thigh-high socks.

If anything, I’d consider “vintage” as a branch-off of “second-hand”.

posted about 5 years ago

Vintageholic
Style_council
Vintageholic

Second hand clothes can be last year’s items. They are not vintage. If it’s not 20 years old, it can’t be considered as vintage.

posted about 2 years ago

Crisss
Style_council
Crisss

second hans`s can be vintage. second hand are the clothes who were not bought and vintage means an old branded piece (very old – like 20 years)

posted about 2 years ago

itshayliebrooke
Style_council
itshayliebrooke

vintage: defined by how old it is
secondhand: something that is pre-owned

posted about 2 years ago

juleenforbes
Style_council
juleenforbes

Vintage are styles from a past period of time – retro. Secondhand are items that have been worn and past on to someone else.

posted about 2 years ago

KatieLikeMe
Style_council
KatieLikeMe

It’s not subjective.
Vintage is literally defined as old and outdated. Second hand means its been worn before.
Vintage doesn’t automatically mean secondhand.

posted about 2 years ago

ionline2389
New_user ionline2389 is new to Chictopia!

Make Her Feel Welcome with Chic Points
10 points - Become a fan
5 points - Vote her photos into the Style Gallery
1 point - Post a comment on her photos

When ionline2389 reaches 200 Chic Points, she will be in the Style Council!
ionline2389

I am currently operating a second hand clothing warehouse based out of Houston, Texas.
We have just purchased a 107,000 square foot building are expanding our customer base. I am only looking for long-term customers who have financial stability.

My objective as an operator of sorting/grading facility is to provide the best quality products for your end users period. My father always told me in order to succeed in this business I have to focus on quality and being upfront with my customers at all times. It is because of this that I am able to grow in size during a time where everyone else is cutting production and Africa is slowing down in purchasing. However my goods are still being pre-sold before they reach my customers ports and godowns are still experiencing crowds of people when my goods arrive.

Since I provide a high quality of goods, I have higher cost associated with raw material therefore my prices are not the cheapest in the market. However, my customers are able to charge better prices and rotate their inventories quickly which in the end of the day is a win-win situation for everyone.

When I do everything on my end to send quality containers as per our terms, I expect my customers to pay as per our agreed terms. Typically, we ask for a 50% deposit and 50% of the funds due upon shipping the container. This is very important because in order to buy the best raw material I have to put money down weeks in advance to suppliers and therefore cash flow must not be interrupted.
If you are interested in working with a reliable supplier for second hand clothing I would love to speak to you.

I am currently also exporting vintage grades, shoes, toys, bric’n’brac, raw institutional material, and credential clothing.
You can reach me via my e-mail at Imran@DiscountRagsUSA.com or via office at 713.229.0400. Feel free to visit our website as well at www.DiscountRagsUSA.com.

With my warmest regards,
Imran Khanji

DISCOUNT RAGS USA
“The King of Quality”
8300 Telephone Road
Houston, Texas 77061
P: 713.229.0400
F: 713.229.0402
www.DiscountRagsUSA.com

posted over 1 year ago
REPLY TO DISCUSSION