Forum
SEARCH FORUM:
Facebook
Twitter
Googleplus
blackheartbunny
Style_council
blackheartbunny

I have had a bad experience and would like the opinion of others. Please pardon the long intro but I want to preface the experience by giving you insight into my background.

I am a fashion designer and I have done professional styling work in the past. Not only have I styled clothing for my own line I have also worked with another designer who makes handbags. For his photo shoot I picked out clothing, makeup and a hairstyle according to his specific needs. Some of the pieces I used were pieces I already owned and some things I purchased and modified. A few pieces were specifically purchased or created by the designer. I did the makeup and hair and ended up modeling as well because the uniqueness of the location required a person of my height.

For my work I received a styling and modeling credit while the designer got a Creative Director credit as it was his concept. It was such a positive experience I decided I would like to pursue styling as another way of working in this magnificent industry.

Although I already had many years of experience in fashion selection and design I decided to get an education in Cosmetology. I also began to audit a class that specifically taught Fashion Photo Styling. Having already had many years of experience styling for my own line I took to the class like a fish to water.

During this time an old friend of mine, who was first year photography student, said she needed my help in completing a project for her class. She told me she didn’t have the time or money to find clothing or props for her project so she was hoping I could help her out. I told her I needed to augment my styling portfolio and would love to help her out in exchange for photos for my portfolio. She told me an idea of what she wanted so I pulled some clothing, accessories, and props from my personal collection and we put together some potential combination. I based the selections on outfits I have worn previously, that I knew looked great together. Included in this collection was an art piece I created using found pieces and a headband I created for a fashion show for my line months earlier. She even “borrowed” some of millinery supplies (I still have not gotten them back.)
One of the shoots was taking place on a day I needed to work at a college, in which I am Instructors Assistant for textile printing class. Since I knew I wasn’t going to be there I organized and packed all of the props and accessories and pressed all the clothing so it would be ready for her. I worked long past midnight doing so. The following day I spent 2 hours doing my elaborate hair and makeup. I wore and one of my outfits and we used more of my props. She did not provide any clothing or props for any of the shots.
She stayed with me for several days, I fed her and she never even washed a dish while she was here.
She posted the pictures on her personal website and never credited me with any of my work I did but it didn’t bother me as it was just a fun project she just did it for her class and I never thought twice about it until …

A few months later my partner and I created a fun little 2 min video showcasing examples of the things I have done including fashion shows and photos shoots and press for my design. I want to start video blogging about my work and the work of others in my community and this was just a practice video.

I posted the video on my blog and myspace and facebook just to show my friends what I have been up to. I got an email from her that said she felt uncomfortable that I used her photos in the video since it she felt I should not be taking credit for styling the shoot insisting all she did was borrow my clothing and that she wanted me to remove them from my video. While she is still is a student several years my junior, I actually get paid for my work in my field. I did this as a favor and as a fun creative project I wasn’t even compensated for. My partner is also a paid professional and it took him many, many hours to make this short video for me and it would be a huge inconvenience for him to reedit the video even though the pictures are up for only seconds.

How would would you feel if you were put in this situation?

posted almost 6 years ago
cristinaraposa
Style_council
cristinaraposa

such a b*@$$#@(*^! haha sorry but you should tell here everything you wrote here. You see for artist, it is your work that she used, it was your work written all over her pictures. If it wasnt for you she would have come up with a picture. I think even if its only for portfolio purposes you should be credited and she shouldnt be acting like it was all her. She doesnt have a name in the industry yet but she’s got attitude already, people like that will not go far.

k_dolicious
Style_council
k_dolicious

honestly, i would take it as a huge lesson learned, there isn’t much you can do at this point. what you should’ve done was to get a written model release or sign a release form of some sort before doing with the shoot with her. :(

ps love your work.

blackheartbunny
Style_council
blackheartbunny

cristinaraposa:

Thank you! I did write this to her and told her all this and more but she is being impossible about it :( You are completely right and it’s already happening to her actually. Before she came down she told me none of friends wanted to help her so she came to me. I now know why no one was willing to help her. You are right this will definitely effect her in the future as well.

k_dolicious:

Thank you! You are so sweet! Yeah, I know, you are right I just never thought this was going to happen! In the future I won’t be so casual about this kind of thing, even when working with “friends.” :( I’m going to come up with a contract.

SarahJayne
Shop_seller_2 SarahJayne is a Chictopia seller who has been hand-picked by our editors to sell merchandise on our website.

Chictopia sellers carry fashion forward products and ensure great customer experience. Click here if you are interested in selling your merchandise on Chictopia.
SarahJayne

She has no legal recourse against you, so she can just blow it out her @s$! When I work with models and photographers on my EBay auctions, as far as I’m concerned we ALL have a right to add those pics to our portfolios and promote ourselves, so long as we aren’t selling the pics. A collab/tfp should be mutually beneficial to all parties involved : ).

But you know what they say, no good deed goes unpunished : /. Sorry to hear this happened.
REPLY TO DISCUSSION