Forum
SEARCH FORUM:
Facebook
Twitter
Googleplus
just_imagine
Style_council
just_imagine

I have short legs and a pretty long torso and i am only 5’1. i am also pretty petite. so i was wondering what are the do’s and dont’s of short legs and a long torso in regards to clothing. what should i avoid and what kinda things should i wear that would flatter it, shirts and pants and skirts etc. thanks!

posted almost 5 years ago
New_user 61939 is new to Chictopia!

Make Her Feel Welcome with Chic Points
10 points - Become a fan
5 points - Vote her photos into the Style Gallery
1 point - Post a comment on her photos

When 61939 reaches 200 Chic Points, she will be in the Style Council!

I’m taller than you and while my legs aren’t short per se, they are proportionately short for my frame and I have a long torso.

I’ve found that one way to make my legs look longer (and balance out my proportions) is to wear pants that are both short in the rise (cut close to the crotch, not a drop crotch) and extra long in the inseam (length crotch-to-floor) so they break across my mid-foot instead of at my ankle. This visually lengthens the legs by creating a longer surface. Wearing that style pants with heels of any kind (boots, sandals, pumps, platforms, wedges) makes the legs look even longer because the eye reads everything from the toe to the hip as “legs”.

Empire waists and shirt dresses or dresses with full skirts (think 50s) worn slightly above your natural waist help balance out the difference as well. Which honestly I find is kind of a necessity anyway when you’re long waisted because just about every dress/jumpsuit has the waist hit too high.

keeping the bottom monochromatic if you’re wearing skirts (like a black skirt with black tights) also helps visually lengthen your lower half.

Breaking up the torso area helps too. One advantage of having a long torso is that you can wear scarves and belts and not look too cluttered or “cut up”. :) You can play with color, patterns, layering and accessories on the top half to visually break up the torso length and bring the eye up. I’ve found that cropped jackets work well, but don’t be afraid to play up the curve of your long torso either, as that can be attractive.

Basically what works for the lower half (keeping the lines long and simple and monochromatic) is the opposite for the upper half (breaking it up with layers and different cuts).

Also, you can use the “people like me” search feature to specifically search for Chictopians with long torso and/or short legs for examples on how they deal with it. Others might be able to help with the petite issue.

New_user 32348 is new to Chictopia!

Make Her Feel Welcome with Chic Points
10 points - Become a fan
5 points - Vote her photos into the Style Gallery
1 point - Post a comment on her photos

When 32348 reaches 200 Chic Points, she will be in the Style Council!

I’d say high waisted skirts and pants would be good to try since it give the illusion of longer legs without making your torso seem too short. I definitely agree with ms_dyno about empire waists…it lengthens the leg line for sure. Avoid dropped waists like the 1920s look as it accentuates the lower torso and doesn’t really do anything for you unless you have really long legs.

just_imagine
Style_council
just_imagine

wow very good suggestions! thanks guys this definitely helps=D

REPLY TO DISCUSSION