SEARCH FORUM:
Facebook
Twitter
Googleplus
TAGS:  nylonspantyhosesheer tightsstockings
heatherrr
Style_council
heatherrr

I know that the lower the denier count is, the more sheer the fabric will be, but I was wondering if there was more of a difference between sheer tights, nylons, and pantyhose? Or are they all different names for the same thing?

posted over 4 years ago
splashofcolour
Style_council
splashofcolour

Tights and pantyhose are the same thing but nylons are commonly the name referred to the hold ups those ones with the band that stops on the thigh rather than the full length waistband type.

posted over 4 years ago

mariashyvae
Style_council
mariashyvae

i’m prefer mid sheer,,cos it good to reflect light and show ur bone structure of ur leg,,
especially when its black,, :)

posted about 3 years ago

MurasakiNeko
Style_council
MurasakiNeko

I agree with splashofcolour, I think of nylons are the thigh-high (or sometimes knee-high) style. Sort of vintage-y— or grandmotherly, depending on how you look at it.

I don’t know what the actual difference is between tight and pantyhose is (if there even is one) but I tend to think of pantyhose as being the nude kind, whereas tights are black or colored. That’s probably all in my head though (:

posted about 3 years ago

JustineSzabo
New_user JustineSzabo is new to Chictopia!

Make Her Feel Welcome with Chic Points
10 points - Become a fan
5 points - Vote her photos into the Style Gallery
1 point - Post a comment on her photos

When JustineSzabo reaches 200 Chic Points, she will be in the Style Council!
JustineSzabo

Former American living in the UK here. In the states, it’s “pantyhose” almost everywhere but the Northeast, where it becomes “nylons.” Some people think of “nylons” as meaning “stockings,” but friends of mine from New York and New England use the terms “nylons” and “pantyhose” interchangeably.

Here in the UK, tights are any legwear you can pull up to your waist. We use “opaque tights” and “sheer tights” to describe the difference. I’ve notice some American brands using the term “sheer tights.” I like that because it sounds so much more grown up.

posted 11 months ago
REPLY TO DISCUSSION