Forum
SEARCH FORUM:
Facebook
Twitter
Googleplus
cellobroad
Style_council
cellobroad

Shorts. Yes, that’s right. I cannot walk by a rack of shorts in a department store without cringing. My guess is that it has something to do with my self-esteem, or lack there-of. I need a boost, some tips, or something that will help me overcome this fear, because I’m tired of melting in the sun in my jeans.

So here’s a short description of me so you’ll know what you are up against. ;)
-Tall; I am 5’10" (That’s 177.80cm or 1.77m)
-I’m pale, very pale, and I don’t tan easily. I burn and then it peels and I’m back to square one
-I’ve got a particularly long torso and often have to buy larges (though a small or med. would fit just fine) to get the LENGTH I want.
-I’m blonde <= If that is important…

I’m turning over a new leaf and trying to be more girly and care more about what I look like. I’ve pretty much conquered makeup, and can do that easily. Now I’m working on my style. I don’t dress BADLY, I just don’t dress BRAVELY either.

Things I’m particularly afraid of:
-Prints, I’m a plain jane kind of gal
-Shorts that are more like underwear
-Shorts that go to my knees. The bermuda shorts are ok, but I don’t like the way they look on me. I have thin legs, and they would be killer if they were tan, so shorter shorts that showcase (w/out making me look seedy) my legs would be good, but I don’t want too short (see above fear).

So Chictopians, please don’t disappoint me. This is my first post, and I am depending on YOU! So please please give me all the tips you can.

posted over 5 years ago
cellobroad
Style_council
cellobroad

Thanks a bunch for your quick reply. I just got a new camera and am playing with it right now, so I’ll have a picture up soon (either a link or a pic on Chictopia.) Your tips are very helpful! I’ll keep all of these in mind while I do my (late) summer shopping.

I’d never even considered the high waisted shorts. That’s really very smart. I’ll look into that just as soon as I stop being a dork and taking pictures of myself.

posted over 5 years ago

XxAngel_Emz95xX
Style_council
XxAngel_Emz95xX

Jean shorts are good for pale skin. Don’t make the denim too dark, or it will contrast too much but definitely not too light or it will wash you out!
And yes, high waisted are a good idea! They are great on tall girls.
I think it is your self-confidence that needs more help though… basically, don’t think about how people will view you when you wear shorts or prints. Think about how you feel in the clothes, learn to be comfortable with wearing different things. Look in the mirror every time you wear them and repeat to yourself, I am confident! I am sexy! I look fabulous! (Or something similar, whatever works.) Sounds crazy I know, but it works!
And also, you might want to try some gradual tanning moisturiser. It’s really good for pale skin, if you only use it once a week or so then it looks natural enough.
Hope this helps!! :))

posted over 5 years ago

cellobroad
Style_council
cellobroad

http://www.chictopia.com/photo/show/127277-delias-dress Here’s a ref. pick. Just in case it’s needed. Not the greatest quality pic. but I think it get’s the point across. ;) I’m pale.

Thanks XxAngel_Emz95xX for your tips as well. I lean towards darker denim for my jeans, so ‘hearing’ you say this kept me from making a mistake. :) I have a Jergen’s natural glow blah blah whatever lotion, but I don’t think it’s the “tanning” kind. It actually sucks and smells icky. All it does is cover you in glitter. Bleh. I don’t use it anymore.

posted over 5 years ago

shadowplay_
Style_council
shadowplay_

Since you say you have a long torso, I think high-waisted things would look great on you! I would just suggest taking a bunch of “experimental” items into a changeroom (things you’ve never bought before but you really like the look of them) and trying them on, perhaps with a nice, encouraging friend/sister. You’ll eventually get used to the way you look with bare legs, and with some luck, hopefully you’ll find something you look great in as well :)

posted over 5 years ago

geekbonchic
Style_council
geekbonchic

If the shorts thing isn’t working out at all for you (I know you can, I believeeeee!) and you’re still coming up short on summer bottoms, I would even suggest linen pants, particularly ones that are looser cut and more billowy. I actually really love the look of looser pants with pinrolls (the narrow, rolled cuffs); with your height you could easily pull those off.

posted over 5 years ago

ladyj88
Style_council
ladyj88

i didnt start wearing shorts till last summer bc of the same thing, so i def feel your pain. regular or stonewash jean shorts wont wash your pale skin out. and i love the tailored looking jeans there everywhere right now! theres room for everything plus you can dress them up or dowm. i have a gray sheen looking pair from target and wear them all the time!! im trying to figure out if youre like thin all around or carry your weight somewhere. (your one pic is hiding everything but your knees!!) cuz if your pear shaped with that long torso high waist is a nightmare same if you have a tummy. but a way to get around that is look for the mom ish shaped high waist…that way you still have the room to be comfortable and stylish =]

posted over 5 years ago

cuppateamachine
New_user cuppateamachine is new to Chictopia!

Make Her Feel Welcome with Chic Points
10 points - Become a fan
5 points - Vote her photos into the Style Gallery
1 point - Post a comment on her photos

When cuppateamachine reaches 200 Chic Points, she will be in the Style Council!
cuppateamachine

Not to be obnoxious but well this is a first :) Beautiful, tall, fit, blonde, fair-skinned and unsure of her looks? The last part just does not fit :) So many people are raised to want to be like you :) I’m just saying… Apologies, I have ‘beauty stereotypes in Asia’ issues.

Anywho, issues: shorts, prints, tan, pekpek shorts, long shorts… here we go

TAN: if you do get a tan, try to keep from exfoliating afterward to have the color stay longer. For an instant tan, mix bronzing powder with Jergens lotion (the one with shiny gold bits). It’s works well but dry off totally before getting into your clothes :D

PRINTS: I love prints. Wear prints, it’s fun and lovely to look at :) wear them with plains at first to be safe. then venture forth and out :D Try experimenting with color first if you’re scared of prints

SHORTS:
1. well go to a department store or a shop and take a bunch of shorts in every imaginable style, color, length, texture, and material possible. go to the dressing room, try each one and take pictures of you wearing each one. I think it’ll be easier for you to gauge which ones you like on you when you’re looking at yourself (that is from your pictures) at a more third party sort of way :)

2. buy the cheapest pair of long shorts or pants or jeans possible, then cut it up to make your own shorts. et voila, perfect length. then find similar stuff.

COLORS: go vibrant colors :D I know everybody thinks creams and light neutral colors will wash you out, but I think it will look amazing on you if you’re going for a clean polished look. simple and neat but still cool. just back it up with interesting dress details and structure :)

SHIRTS: go for medium shirts then look for a nice bit of fabric you can sew in the hems of your shirt. once again: et voila perfect length, perfect fit, and the only one in existence ;)

Goodluck :)

EXCITING!!! looking forward to your first “non-clean slate/ for reference” post :D XX

posted over 5 years ago

poorandweird
Style_council
poorandweird

Six foot tall skinny pale blonde here, hi :)

Your figure means you can get away with high waisted 50’s looking shorts without looking as though your torso got chopped in half. I also like wearing denim cutoffs – DIY them and make them whatever length you like!

posted over 5 years ago
REPLY TO DISCUSSION