Forum
SEARCH FORUM:
Facebook
Twitter
Googleplus
KateMasen
Style_council
KateMasen

Okay, so this year will be my 16th birthday, and everyone has asked what I would like for my birthday. I am going to ask for everyone to pitch in so I can redo my wardrobe (recently I have fallen in a slump and taken to wearing jeans and school tee shirts daily. ewww!)
I am looking for several pieces that can be mixed and matched into several outfits; kind of like Polyvores contest where they are making as many outfits as possible out of 32 pieces, that kind of thing. I really love Forever 21, American Apparel, Mod Cloth, and Topshop. I occasionally look on Etsy, but I rarely find cute stuff.
Keep in mind any money left over will be spend looking through the Salvation Army, Goodwill, and local thrift stores. But I need some serious help and was wondering if anyone could help me.

Hope I made sense, and thanks ahead of time to anyone that helps <3

P.S. not only is she the user most like me; I love her style! http://www.chictopia.com/Laysee_06

posted over 4 years ago
coldlight
Style_council
coldlight

Make a list of all the basic things you’ll need, things that will be easy to match with and accessorise, because I’m guessing youre wardrobe will be pretty sparse at first.
Have a look at some of the forum topics where people have suggested what basics you need, like http://www.chictopia.com/forums/Shopping/topics/Top+ten+must+have+basics-8204
http://www.chictopia.com/forums/Living+and+Advice/topics/Wardrobe+MUST+HAVEs-7206?page=1
some of the items people have suggested are things like: flats, black pumps, black blazer, skinny jeans, LBD, white tshirts, cardigans.
As well as the basics, buy some on-trend items, but make sure they actually suit your style and body type, then you can keep wearing them after the trend has passed. Things like tights and scarves are pretty cheap and a great way to add variety to your closet. Hope that helped a little bit…

posted over 4 years ago

xxcorkscloset
Style_council
xxcorkscloset

I agree with coldlight. Get your basics first. I have so many different skirts that are patterned and are incredibly hard to match. When it comes to trenidier items stick to places like forever 21 because remember: they’re a trend you may not feel the same about the item in a few months. Another great thing to do is get a few waist belts in different colors [forever 21 has some for like 3.50$] They can make your dad’s or boyfriend’s oversized shirts into cute dresses I’ve done it before(:

posted over 4 years ago

KateMasen
Style_council
KateMasen

thanks for the help :) I will look at those posts. And the belts sound cute :)

posted over 4 years ago

chicchica_bonita
New_user chicchica_bonita is new to Chictopia!

Make Her Feel Welcome with Chic Points
10 points - Become a fan
5 points - Vote her photos into the Style Gallery
1 point - Post a comment on her photos

When chicchica_bonita reaches 200 Chic Points, she will be in the Style Council!
chicchica_bo...

agreed. i like to have a whole militia of solid colored and neutral tees and tanks before i do anything, and i love to hit goodwill and other thrift stores. also, military is really in, so try a surplus store :D

posted over 4 years ago

Enigmaticfille
Style_council
Enigmaticfille

Agree with everyone, make sure that you have the basics down pat and then go for a few pieces in your fave colours. some statement jewellery that can finish off looks like maybe an oversized ring in a neutral colour, a very common red/nude band etc. that would finish/add style to any basic look. do NOT forget your lbd and your lrd. And not to forget a common blazer.

posted over 4 years ago

splashofcolour
Style_council
splashofcolour

Personally I disagree on doing the basics first. I used to think it was a good idea…..but then I got bored when I had my basics and not so much nice non-basic stuff to go with them because I’d spent all my money on the basics.

I think it would be a better idea to define what you want your style to be first (whether it be classic, girly, rocker/punk, bohemian etc.) and pick out a few interesting/unique key pieces that you really like that suit the style you want. Then work on getting the basics that will fit in with the style you want to stick to and that will go with what you’ve already chosen. That way when it comes to developing your style further later on you’ll have your basics but also have something more interesting to fall back on when you can’t afford new clothes.

One more thing….if you’re planning to spend under $300, then don’t buy your stuff from American Apparel. Yes their quality is good but your money won’t go far at all. I doubt it would even cover your basics, nevermind giving you money to spend on less basic clothing too.

posted over 4 years ago
REPLY TO DISCUSSION