Forum
SEARCH FORUM:
Facebook
Twitter
Googleplus
loveonthebackseat
Style_council
loveonthebac...

I always wanted to know what colours I should absolutely avoid with my type of skin. My skin is very light and I have freckles all over my arms and face. My hair is ginger… I always thought that green doesn’t look very good on me, is that true? And are there any other colours I should avoid?

thanks!

posted over 4 years ago
katiemd
Style_council
katiemd

i think green looks great on red heads! that and blue. i have pretty light skin with a lot of freckles too, and i don’t like to wear red or white, but that’s just me.

posted over 4 years ago

MurasakiNeko
Style_council
MurasakiNeko

Redheads can swing either way, so figure out if you are warm- or cool-toned in your skin, separate from your hair. (There are a lot of simple tests; easiest is to see what color your veins are beneath your skin: blue is cool, green is warm). That will tell you a lot about what colors suit you. Cool skin (generally) goes with cool colors like green, blue, purple and neutrals like black and white. Warm skin (generally) goes with warm colors like red, orange, yellow, and neutrals in brown and tan. If your hair color is natural, it will likely suit the colors your skin does.

Looking at your pictures, I would guess you are probably cool-toned, but I would look into it a little more to be sure.

There’s a lot to be said for shade and saturation of color, too. You might not look good in olive (a warm tone) green, but a pastel could be flattering— and rich emerald green and ginger hair is usually a match made in heaven.

posted over 4 years ago

loveonthebackseat
Style_council
loveonthebac...

Wow, thank you @MurasakiNeko
I think I’m cool-toned.
I’ll guess I’ll have to overcome my fear for green and follow your advice!
Thanks!

posted over 4 years ago

LorettaLouise
Style_council
LorettaLouise

I really want a change in my hair style & colour, but i’m so Indecisive about it.
I was thinking dark brown, but it would wash me out, as im rather pale skinned.
Then I thought short but I haven’t got the face for short hair.
I really want long, light hair, but i’m scared of putting blonde in my hair as i’ve heard alot of rumors it makes your hair dry out etc.

Please Help! x

posted over 4 years ago

loveonthebackseat
Style_council
loveonthebac...

@LorettaLouise I wouldn’t go for blonde because you have a light skin…
I would go for darker colours or you could go ginger, like me! ^^

posted over 4 years ago

LorettaLouise
Style_council
LorettaLouise

Ha! i always thought dark colours are worst on pale people….oh well.
Thanks for the advice, i’ll take it on board :)

posted over 4 years ago

MurasakiNeko
Style_council
MurasakiNeko

i always thought dark colours are worst on pale people

Not at all! I have super-dark brown hair, almost black, and cool, pale skin with pink undertones. Light skin and dark hair contrast in a really dramatic way. Look at Liv Tyler or Anne Hathaway.

An icy blond (or, yes, some reds!) would be fine on a pale person, too, as would just some highlights to lighten things up. But you’d definitely want to consult your stylist to make sure what would work, not just pick something that you like on someone else. It’s all about sticking to the tones of color that work with your skin— and then taking care of the hair (aka: CONDITIONER LIKE WHOA) once you change the color.

posted over 4 years ago

JalisaRiley
Style_council
JalisaRiley

idk to me green would look nice and sweet on you but other colors as far as hair that you shouls stay away from is blonde and jet black

posted over 4 years ago

Kristen_Bee
Style_council
Kristen_Bee

hey, So you are having problems deciding what colors to wear, well first thing dont make your hair the big issue on what you wear and what you dont. Its hair, you can rock anything you want and in any color. But ill tell you this, BLACK!!!! no no no NO, black makes you look older and the black makes your skin a sickly yellowish color. You can wear black, just make sure not to wear too much and to close to your face. A black skirt, belt, some accesories are fine or headbands. And yes your right greens to look good, but choose more earthy tones, like beige, brown, gold, moss green. Those kind of colors. you can even try orange/redish colors just not to much seeing as it will blend in with your hair a bit.
Some other colors you might want to stay away from are, purple, navy, BRIGHT red, and pink. I know it sucks but you can still wear these colors just not a lot. Also if you want to wear the colors mentioned above go for more darker tones of it.
I hope this helps!!
P.S. It all comes down to the persons taste, some say if a redhead wears pink it can look a bit tacky. But in the end its whatever you feel comfortable in!

posted over 4 years ago

MurasakiNeko
Style_council
MurasakiNeko

Like I said, it really depends on her skin tone, KBFashion. If she’s a warm-toned redhead, you’re right that she should avoid black, and look to beiges, browns, golds, oranges, reds, and moss greens instead. But cool tones are usually best to AVOID earth tones and stick to jewel tones or pastels, just taking care not to clash them too much with a warmish hair color. I’m not a straight-up redhead, but I do have some reddish highlights to my brown hair and as a person with a cool skin tone, black is my absolute best neutral. It’s because I have more pink in my skin than yellow, and the black brings it out. (And I guess nobody minds it when they look pink, as opposed to yellow?).

But I agree it ultimately comes down to what you want to wear. If green looks good on you but you don’t LIKE green, by all means don’t wear green! And if pink or gold or orange clashes but you still love it, rock it anyway.

EDIT: These might be of help:

Cool-toned redhead: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLEw5zs_ciM&feature=related

Warm-toned redhead: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mPQTrVcrU0Y&feature=channel

posted over 4 years ago

New_user 105047 is new to Chictopia!

Make Her Feel Welcome with Chic Points
10 points - Become a fan
5 points - Vote her photos into the Style Gallery
1 point - Post a comment on her photos

When 105047 reaches 200 Chic Points, she will be in the Style Council!

Oh my god. No offense- but some of the people on here are giving you the opposite advice. Take it from me- I’m a redhead with the palest skin, freckles, and green eyes and I’ve had plenty of experience over the years!

Basically, try to STAY AWAY from anything that blends in with your hair— that means red, orange, brown (you might not think so but this is true especially if you have copper undertones).

DO TRY- green (It’ll look amazing I swear), any blues, and purple. A deep to bright purple will make your hair pop. NEUTRALS are your best friend! Just be careful with tan- don’t make it too brown.

Yellow and pink can be done if they are worn right in the correct shade. If you have yellow undertones, it’s best to stay away. Rose pink is an extremely flattering shade for all redheads, but hot pinks are a definite no.

Hope I helped! xoxo foreverinlove

posted over 4 years ago

Speedbump
Style_icon
Speedbump

I’ve noticed that a lot of redheads wear more neutrals so that their hair stands out, since it’s more of a color than most hair colors. You’re definitely safe with neutrals like black, grey, and white.

I know some redheads are anti-pink, but I think it really depends on the shade.

I’ve always thought that green and blue both look really amazing, though. I think redheads are able to pull off the really bright jewel-tones of those colors very well. You can try looking to Taylor Tomasi for inspiration, since she’s a natural redhead and always looks (in my opinion) very well put-together.

posted over 4 years ago

loveonthebackseat
Style_council
loveonthebac...

Thank you so much for all your tips and information!
It’s all very useful!

Thank you! ^^

posted over 4 years ago

PrettyInBlack
Style_council
PrettyInBlack

I would advise that you become a fan of Melissa Auf der Maur. Even if you aren’t into her music, check out photos of her on www.melissaaufdermaur.org.

(http://madmgallery.com/index.php?cat=2)

She has INSANE style, and she’s a pale redhead. I am not a pale redhead, but I love her <3>s my favorite.

posted over 4 years ago

PrettyInBlack
Style_council
PrettyInBlack

By the way, I think neutrals are stunning on a redhead.

posted over 4 years ago

ynez
Style_council
ynez

I always thought greens are soooooooo pretty on red heads. and freckles are so cute too.

posted over 4 years ago

loveonthebackseat
Style_council
loveonthebac...

@ynez Thank you ^^

posted over 4 years ago

chicchica_bonita
New_user chicchica_bonita is new to Chictopia!

Make Her Feel Welcome with Chic Points
10 points - Become a fan
5 points - Vote her photos into the Style Gallery
1 point - Post a comment on her photos

When chicchica_bonita reaches 200 Chic Points, she will be in the Style Council!
chicchica_bo...

ginger+green=heavenly. i think its the most gorgeous thing ever. Even red looks good, in my opinion. I’ve never like pink on redheads, but nudes and blues and greens and reds and yellows…all good. either pastels or intense colors, though. no inbetweens. Your look is naturally intense, so you want to play that up with your clothes. :)

posted over 4 years ago

loveonthebackseat
Style_council
loveonthebac...

@chicchica_bonita I look horrible in pink, seriously! :D

posted over 4 years ago
REPLY TO DISCUSSION