Forum
SEARCH FORUM:
Facebook
Twitter
Googleplus
MissHoney
Style_council
MissHoney

Hello all, winter is coming up and the obvious answer to cold weather has always been pants/jeans… but this time around I don’t want to depend on them- at least not most of the time. I have been avoiding my jeans ever since I discovered the comfort of leggings! I do not want to go back.

Here is my issue though- I am still fairly new to leggings, and I am not very good at putting outfits together. My primary goal is to simply cover my butt. I don’t like anything longer than mid-thigh because I am 5 feet tall. sometimes ‘tunics’ and the like tend to be too long in an unflattering way (longer than mid-thigh), which really frustrates me.

The only thing I know is that I plan to layer tights under my leggings, which I found to be as equally warm as jeans last winter, the one time that I tried it.

I have been perusing the style gallery, of course- but I’d really like some solid advice about where to shop and what to look for. Do I need long tops, long sweaters, long jackets? all of the above? I would appreciate any and all help! Thanks

p.s. i have a pretty classic/simple style, i am a heels, pearls and peacoat type of girl.

posted over 3 years ago
MissHoney
Style_council
MissHoney

thank you sososo much buky! you see me eye to eye =) I am afraid to try those longer length coats because i am soo convinced that longer clothes dont look good on me! In fact I just ordered a hip-length peacoat… I guess I need to try on a longer coat and try to force myself to accept how it looks on me!

posted over 3 years ago

MurasakiNeko
Style_council
MurasakiNeko

I’m pretty evenly split between pants and leggings, and I actually find layered leggings to be warmer than pants! If you’re trying things on and shopping in the right departments you should be able to find tunics and long sweaters, cardigans, and flyaways that fall at a flattering length to wear with leggings. It’s really not so much about your height, but the proportions in which you dress yourself. You also can’t go wrong with dresses and skirts. Leggings and tights work with just about any length of skirt, including skirts that would be too short to wear with bare legs.

I recommend a long coat for winter since it’s warmer, but you can also layer cropped pieces (like a motorcyle jacket) over longer layers. I also second buky’s advice about tall boots, socks, and winter accessories to add warmth.

Another way to add warmth and style to leggings is with legwarmers. They don’t have to be ‘80s-tastic, either, if you find a subtle neutral. (These are the pair I have) Poking out of boots they’re just like a long sock, but you can also wear them with heels or flats.

posted over 3 years ago

boredstephanie
Style_council
boredstephanie

yes long coats work well with leggings and you can wear dresses if you really want to (if its not too cold!). Just put a big scarf on and a cardigan or something

posted over 3 years ago

jellybeanbarbie
Style_council
jellybeanbarbie

sometimes wearing tights under makes your leggings slide down, if i were you id invest in a line of leggings called plush. they’re a line of fleece lined tights and leggings very comfy :D

http://plush-apparel.com/

posted over 3 years ago

lalalahoppx
Style_council
lalalahoppx

I am a leggings person, so I’m interested in the whole tights under leggings thing, but it sounds kind of uncomfortable to me…idk.

posted over 3 years ago

Magz
Style_council
Magz

Sounds like me…Except I came about this problem when I first gained weight and couldn’t fit into any of my jeans (NONE).

I wore a lot of dresses and skirts and layers stockings (sometimes two solid colors, fish net and another layer to give it dimension and different textures) underneath it. As far as leggings they will be your best friend if you are anti-jeans.

You do not necessarily always have to shop for tunics you can buy your regular tops a little bit bigger (in a bigger size) that way it fits looser and is able to cover your buttocks.

Leg warmers are fun accessories you can play with, thigh/knee length socks…

…go crazy with it just experiment with anything and everything :)

posted over 3 years ago

MissHoney
Style_council
MissHoney

thanks so much everyone for the help , i truly appreciate it! <3

posted over 3 years ago

coldlight
Style_council
coldlight

I agree with what others have said! A pants-free winter is definitely do-able :P I did it this year! However I live in Australia so there;s no snow and it doesn’t get so cold. Wool tights are the best! I definitely think that long coats (but above the knee) will keep you warm and stylish. If it’s above your knee then it will be flattering even if you are short!(I am shortish :P) Pair the long coat with knee high boots and you’re set. Woolen dresses are also really good, and you can always layer thigh high socks over your leggings or tights for more warmth :)

posted over 3 years ago

crancherry
Style_council
crancherry

im also into this pants-free winter but im not sure about it til i stumble into this thread so thanks guys for the ideas on how to keep warm this winter wearing thigh high socks over leggings and the long coats too and of course above the knee coz im also kinda shortish :)

posted over 3 years ago

pandaphilia
Style_council
pandaphilia

try to keep things short if you’re petite like me. pants-free sounds awesome! i like to layer skirts over thicker leggings and then pull high socks over them and wear boots. it’s cute and snow bunny like

posted over 3 years ago

locketandkey
Style_council
locketandkey

I’m definitely on the pants-free winter boat too, haha. I just find tights and leggings, so much easier to wear.

I know last fall Yes Style was selling fleece lined leggings and stockings and they’re very warm, hopefully they’ll be more this fall too. But stockings or leggings layered under knee-highs or leg warmers are good too.

posted over 3 years ago

HaileyMadison
Style_council
HaileyMadison

a great trick i use for for the whole tunic situation is using those Hanes Men’s tees. I am pretty savvy with a pair of scissors, and have managed to cut many different shapes and styles of tunics for just a couple bucks. get the small and medium size to start, see which is best. look up t-shirt cutting and choose a style. then belt it, add a jacket, something to give it some shape.

then, i wear leggings (try those Cuddle Duds, they are long underwear type pants that look just like leggings, and keep you super warm) high socks, and boots.

it looks super cute (:

posted over 3 years ago

IntrinsicallyFlorrie
Style_council
Intrinsicall...

I am just not a trouser person so I didn’t wear any all last winter except for a day or two. You’ve totally got the right approach to leggings but you just can’t always predict what tops will work until you try them on and see what happens length wise.

Intrinsically Florrie xxx

posted over 3 years ago
REPLY TO DISCUSSION