Forum
SEARCH FORUM:
Facebook
Twitter
Googleplus
Alyssa127848
Style_council
Alyssa127848

Haha I’m guessing this is a bit of an Odd question, but I’m on a cruise ship and were going to be “crossing the line” (equator) in two days and for the ceremony I don’t know what to wear. Basically it’s where everyone who has never crossed the equator before has to make a “sacrifice” haha. The sacrifice in this case is you get messy with the “kitchen leftovers” poured all over you…basically you get covered in like a cake batter kind of mixture. You DO get super messy I hear :) And then after you’re messy you get dunked in the pool.

So yeah… Idk what to wear. Traditionally you’re supposed to get reallydressed up for it, just because the ceremony is a big deal, everyone is watching, and you should look your best for it. I def need to dress up – of the few people I have talked to about it, every one of them is wearing the best outfit they have with them. And I never want to look underdressed. 

Basically the options are (what I brought with me on the trip): 
Really Dressed Up, Outfit 1: Gorgeous Emilio Pucci evening dress (blue), Jimmy Choo strappy heeled sandals 
Slightly-less Dressed Up, Outfit 2: White Jovani evening dress, BCBG tan heeled-sandals 
Slightly-less Dressed Up, Outfit 3: White Albert Nipon skirt suit, Stuart Weitzman pumps

Pretty much that’s all the options I have…I dont have anything “in-between.” After those options, it’s just a top/jeans pretty much. What do you think I should wear?

posted about 3 years ago
MurasakiNeko
Style_council
MurasakiNeko

I’d never heard of this tradition before! (I guess because I’ve only crossed the equator in an airplane it’s not the same thing). Thanks for sharing. If I ever go on an equator-crossing cruise I’ll be sure to pack accordingly!

I would pick the outfit that would be easiest to clean afterward— or, if you think all of these outfits would be permanently ruined no matter what, choose the one you wouldn’t mind never getting to wear again. I wouldn’t wear something which would be hard to replace or is one of your favorite pieces, just in case. Even if the cake batter doesn’t mess it up, getting thrown into the pool and all things might get ripped, etc.

posted about 3 years ago

Alyssa127848
Style_council
Alyssa127848

Hey,

You’re welcome haha! I don’t think they do this on all cruises, but yeah I didn’t know about it when I was packing. Hence the lack of formal/dressy outfits that aren’t really expensive in my packed wardrobe :)

Honestly I think that what I wear will get permanently ruined, just because it’ll probably be like chocolate cake batter (honestly idk if it’s cake batter, but it’s something that resembles it. it could be messier lol). Then getting dunked in the pool will sort of clean off the mess but also chlorine is there and like you said things could get ripped or something.

Thing is I like all three of the outfits pretty much equally – although outfit 1 is the most expensive, outfit 2 less expensive, and outfit 3 the least expensive. But really I like all of them about the same. I’m thinking I should probably just pick the outfit that looks the nicest / makes the best impression, especially since everyone I’ve talked to is getting really dressed up for this. What do you think? Outfit 1 probably would be most impressive to wear.

posted about 3 years ago

Alyssa127848
Style_council
Alyssa127848

can anybody else give advice? The ceremony is tomorrow, haha, and I still have no idea.

posted about 3 years ago

coldlight
Style_council
coldlight

If I was in your situation I wouldn’t wear something that expensive! Hehe. All 3 of those outfits sound fine. If you didn’t bring many other clothes with you, don’t choose the outfit you might want to wear again on another part of your cruise/trip.
If you like all the outfits/clothes equally and don’t mind them possibly getting ruined, and it seems like everyone else is wearing their best clothes, then without seeing actual pics of them, outfit 1 probably sounds the most dressy, if you want to stand out!
But I think all 3 options sound very classy! hope you have fun!

posted about 3 years ago
REPLY TO DISCUSSION