Forum
SEARCH FORUM:
Facebook
Twitter
Googleplus
emilyfae
Style_council
emilyfae

Hey guys, I’m pretty new here, in need of a little advice.

My boyfriends dad has been in the Navy for 22 years, and is retiring in a few weeks. He says I need to dress up for the event. I have a larger hourglass shape, I’m more of a “sleeves” kind of girl, rather than spaghetti straps, or strapless. I was thinking I might try a maxi dress like the first black one in this picture.
http://shinymedia.headshift.com/images/photos/uncategorized/butterbynadia.jpg

I would be making it, and it wouldn’t look exactly like that since I don’t like everything about it, but I really like the sleeves on it.

Is this a good idea? What can I accessorize with? Would it be a good fit for a body like mine? If not, what would be a more appropriate outfit? Totally out of ideas.

Any advice is totally appreciated. Thanks for the help :]

posted about 5 years ago
geekbonchic
Style_council
geekbonchic

That’s a pretty mature silhouette, especially for something that is dressy, but not formal. The shape and sleeves are fine, but I’d suggest just shortening it to either just below or above the knees (never right at them!) Then again, if you’re making this dress from scratch, you could make the maxi version, see how you like it, and then raise the hem as you see fit. And if you’re an hourglass shape that wrap/cinch detail at the waist will be very flattering.

posted about 5 years ago

emilyfae
Style_council
emilyfae

I will definitely consider length when I am finished. I think that style would look good just above the knees now that you brought it up. Thank you!

posted about 5 years ago

Bubu
Style_council
Bubu

I would leave it long but combine it with flats, maybe golden gladiators, put some golden jewerly or big flower in an nonchalant updo and combine it with red lipstick, i think it would look cool but still old Hollywood elegant.

posted about 5 years ago

poorandweird
Style_council
poorandweird

Is that a dress which you can wrap in like 500000 different ways ? Those things are FANTASTIC, and you can play around with them to show as much or as little skin as you like.

Like geekbonchic said, starting with a maxi-length’s the way to go; you can alter it from there.
Personally, I think that the bodice shape would determine the skirt length … for example, if you wrap the top in a more modest fashion you could afford to cut the dress to just above the knee. That way it’d be quite demure, but not too “mature”.

Good luck making the dress, it sounds like it’ll be gorgeous.

posted about 5 years ago

emilyfae
Style_council
emilyfae

Thanks so much to you both! I like the big flower idea. I’m also considering color… it will most likely be black, but I’m thinking I might like it to be a blue/green color.

and as for the dresses that you can wrap a million ways, I totally want one!!!! I don’t think I’m good enough to make one though hahaha.

I’m really excited to make this, and I will DEFINITELY be posting it once I’m done with it, and also after the event.

Thanks again!

posted about 5 years ago

poorandweird
Style_council
poorandweird

i thought that dress you showed a photo of WAS one of those multiways. maybe not. never mind. It’s really pretty though!

posted about 5 years ago

emilyfae
Style_council
emilyfae

Haha I have no idea actually. It might be?

posted about 5 years ago

poorandweird
Style_council
poorandweird

http://rowena.typepad.com/rostitchery/infinity-dress.html

^^ check that out and see what you think. it’s dead easy to make, and i’m sure it IS that dress… i mean, the bodice consists of two very wide straps that can be wound around to look like sleeves, or to make straps, or to make a bandeau dress.

posted about 5 years ago

emilyfae
Style_council
emilyfae

Oh my god. That is SO cool. Thanks for showing me that! I’ll definitely give that one a try.

posted about 5 years ago
REPLY TO DISCUSSION