Forum
SEARCH FORUM:
Facebook
Twitter
Googleplus
Off4thandGraham
Style_council
Off4thandGraham

Recently there has been a new trend among the fashion men in the world, wearing skirts in a trend that is slowly but surly gaining momentum and I love it. I mean granted only a few men an pull it off but when it’s wore right it’s a win for me. What do you think?

I wrote a post about it if you care to take a peek

http://www.kimberlylove.net/2013/01/the-marc-jacobs-effect-men-in-skirts.html

posted over 1 year ago
FakeBlikeu
Style_council
FakeBlikeu

nice post!

posted over 1 year ago

AnErin
Style_council
AnErin

I have seen it a time or two in real life.
Honestly – it doesn’t really work well. To me it gives more of an impression of someone walking around with a towel around the waist.
Skirts are kind of an article where the whole outfit has to come together for a skirt to look good.
Well kinda like some things can stand alone and some cannot. Example – a coat/jacket can be independent of the rest of the outfit but a skirt cannot
Not that a man (dressing as a man) looks silly in a skirt, it just looks, well, plain. Not bad, not good, not silly, not like a fashion statement but just, nothing.

posted over 1 year ago

jenniferhera
New_user jenniferhera is new to Chictopia!

Make Her Feel Welcome with Chic Points
10 points - Become a fan
5 points - Vote her photos into the Style Gallery
1 point - Post a comment on her photos

When jenniferhera reaches 200 Chic Points, she will be in the Style Council!
jenniferhera

It really depends on the man that wears it. If he looks confident and happy, I would say go for it dude.

posted over 1 year ago

floppyquack
New_user floppyquack is new to Chictopia!

10 points - Become a fan

When floppyquack reaches 200 Chic Points, she will be in the Style Council!
floppyquack

I think people should just be allowed to wear whatever they want. I think a lot of guys would if it weren’t for fear of upsetting societal norms. Also we only have so many options. Dresses and skirts and women’s clothing is just more fun.

posted over 1 year ago

KoohBuh
Style_council
KoohBuh

Confident and happy would def fit Marc Jacobs, but we can’t deny the fact that long dresses , or skirts on a male looks rather silly, of course any male can wear whatever they wish, but i still don’t fancy this new “trend” :x

posted over 1 year ago

TheDashingDiaries
Style_council
TheDashingDi...

I checked out your post and somehow I sort of like that trend on Kanye West. Maybe it’s because he looks very confident and manly. Apart from that, it’s definitely a no-go.

posted over 1 year ago

Senta
Style_council
Senta

I agree about Kanye West. Somehow it looks great on him! Maybe it’s the perspective, ‘cause the skirt doesn’t work on the last guy in your post for me. He’s got slim legs but he looks kinda disproportional. Like his legs are way too short. I’m sure some men can pull this look off, but only very few.

posted over 1 year ago

tightsandtea
Style_council
tightsandtea

like your blog! I’d actually call it the Rick Owens effect, not so much Marc Jacobs. I think a small minority of menswear is shifting towards assymetrical/longer layers/monochromatic/etc., which is merging with streetwear.

but I don’t think it’s something the majority of the population will adopt too literally, and I’m not really feeling it.

posted over 1 year ago

amorphous_face
Style_council
amorphous_face

I really like it.

posted over 1 year ago

robin77
Style_council
robin77

i followed that link and had a real laugh – ridiculous! a big NO!

posted over 1 year ago

17web
New_user 17web is new to Chictopia!

10 points - Become a fan

When 17web reaches 200 Chic Points, she will be in the Style Council!
17web

I think its perfectly fine! I would totally check out GregoryGORGEOUS on youtube. He wears skirts, dresses, and doesnt care! Hope I helped!
xx

posted over 1 year ago

priscillaraq
Style_council
priscillaraq

Although an interesting idea..I say nay.

posted over 1 year ago

themostbeautifulface
Style_council
themostbeaut...

i hope this trend doesnt last…

posted over 1 year ago

Couns
Style_council
Couns

For me (I’m am man) skirts can become an interesting aspect in manswear. But not because of the photos in the blog post. I think if man wear skirts, it can look really fashionable.
One of my favourite examples is the second guy on this blog post (not mine):
http://newmalefashion.blogspot.com.ar/2012/09/street-scene-skirts-2.html

posted over 1 year ago

Cephaela
Style_council
Cephaela

All for it.
I think for us to have sexual equality we have to let go of stigmas that men can’t express themselves in the same way as us. I think it’s kind of oppressive that here we can wear pants without it being scandalous (because it was at one point), but they can’t wear skirts unless it’s traditional garb(I know a lot of women with kilt fetishes lemme tell you something)
Personally I find it pretty hot, but I’m pansexual and find myself attracted to femininity regardless of who it’s on…
THEN AGAIN our levels of attraction of something shouldn’t completely dictate how someone’s allowed to express themselves.

posted over 1 year ago

misstiem
Style_council
misstiem

Nay, I don’t like it. But I guess some guys can pull it off.

posted over 1 year ago

sailormoonusagi
Style_council
sailormoonusagi

Absolutely not.. A man needs to wear trousers.. And a woman has to wear skirts and dresses! I really dont like it that women wear jeans and trousers these days.. And now the men wear skirts!?

posted over 1 year ago

Siesie
Style_council
Siesie

I’m all for people dressing however they like, regardless of gender. I’m waiting for the day we no longer have “menswear” and “women’s clothes” as separate categories.

Frankly, I think it’s stupid when people say men “should” wear pants and women “should” wear skirts. If it’s just a matter of stating your personal taste, that’s fine. But what’s the point in restricting everyone to some arbitrary societal norm? (And it IS all arbitrary. In the past, pink was considered a masculine color and blue was a feminine color. Things only look “silly” to us now because we’ve been conditioned to think that way and we’re not used to seeing it).

I have a few guy friends who wear kilts. And Utilikilts are a big trend in goth/geek communities.

posted over 1 year ago

GilbertEMcCauley
New_user GilbertEMcCauley is new to Chictopia!

Make Him Feel Welcome with Chic Points
10 points - Become a fan
5 points - Vote his photos into the Style Gallery
1 point - Post a comment on his photos

When GilbertEMcCauley reaches 200 Chic Points, he will be in the Style Council!
GilbertEMcCa...

since the ancient Egyptians men have always worn skirts. Look at the hieroglyphics. Men had 3 different length kilts. Short for sports, knee length for daily wear, ankle length for formal. Then women “did not wear skirts or kilts”, they were men’s clothing. The knights of old times wore kilts and tunics, even leather leggings underneath in the winter, again they were men’s clothing. So whats the big deal if men were skirts or kilts they were men’s cloths anyway. Think about it.

posted about 1 year ago
REPLY TO DISCUSSION