Forum
SEARCH FORUM:
Facebook
Twitter
Googleplus
CherokeeLondon
Style_council
CherokeeLondon

For some reason, when I wear high heels, my feet end up in pain within 30 minutes or less. I don’t buy cheap shoes so that can’t be it. I’ve never had this problem before. And it really sucks because I want to wear heels more often (especially since I’m only 5’0). I’m tired of wearing flats. I’ve already tried using gel insoles, but it doesn’t seem to make much of a difference. Are there any particular brand of insoles that are really good? How do you make your high heels comfortable?

posted over 4 years ago
FrivolousDistinction
Style_council
FrivolousDis...

If you’ve tried different brands of shoe and different insoles with no success, it might be the shape of your feet. I have high arches. Heels, provided they fit well, are actually more comfortable for me than most flats because the angle my foot sits at in heels supports it better. They have to have some kind of tie or strap because my arches are so high and my feet are so narrow that I walk out of shoes otherwise, but after that, I’m perfectly happy for hours. If you also have high arches, try mary jane and oxford styles. Gel insoles can help if they’re built up in the arch. Scholl Party Feet are good.

But I wonder whether your feet are the opposite – quite flat, with your insteps quite close to the ground? This often, but not always, goes along with having fairly wide feet. If so, the shape of a lot of high heeled shoes could cause you pain and make it difficult to walk. You may find wedges suit the shape of your feet – the angle tends to be less steep.

If you don’t think the problem is the shape of your feet, maybe try kitten heels and kitten-heeled boots with decent ankle support. Lower high heels were “in” again this summer so there should be plenty discounted at the moment. When you’re comfortable in these with no pain, work your way up to slightly higher heels. Most vintage heels are lower than today’s (’70s platforms notwithstanding). Wedges and platforms in general are comfier than other heel styles because the built-up sole compensates a bit for the height of the heel.

When you’re walking in heels, try to keep your legs straight (not completely – bend them when you need to!). Touch the heel down first when you step but place most of your weight on the balls of your feet. It might take a bit of practice, but it sounds more complex than it is. Walking the same way you do in flats isn’t always comfortable in heels.

Always break heels in before you wear them out. Wear them with socks round the house first.

Finally (yep! sorry for the length…) embrace your height. Short is as gorgeous and elegant as tall. It’s not the end of the world if you don’t find heels comfortable – you can make flats your trademark.

posted over 4 years ago

FrivolousDistinction
Style_council
FrivolousDis...

Sorry, duplicate post :)

posted over 4 years ago

KaylaMeow
Style_council
KaylaMeow

I’m 5’0 also but my case is even sadder because when I wear heels, legs’ muscle appear and they are huge and ugly ! :(

posted over 4 years ago

CherokeeLondon
Style_council
CherokeeLondon

Thanks so much for the great advice! I think my problem is that I have flat and wide feet. Most of the pain is usually in the balls of my feet when wearing heels. I’ll definitely give wedges a try.

posted over 4 years ago
REPLY TO DISCUSSION