Forum
SEARCH FORUM:
Facebook
Twitter
Googleplus
hopelesslydevoted
Style_council
hopelesslyde...

I know some people hate this but I love it. I think it’s like getting a short haircut, it shows you have confidence in the way you look.

But anyways, tunics don’t work for me anyways because I have shorter legs. I wear leggings with oversized t-shirts, big sweatshirts, button-ups. Does anyone have any other ideas?

posted over 4 years ago
heatherrr
Style_council
heatherrr

I don’t really see it as a confidence issue – leggings fall into the same category as nylons and tights, not pants, and wearing them with the top portion showing just makes an outfit look incomplete.

There are plenty of very tight-fitting pants out there for women who are confident about their hips and butt who want to show it off.

Lycra can get a little sheer when stretched, especially at the top, so leggings look best when worn with anything that covers the crotch and the butt. I think they look fine when worn with long tanks and blazers, tunics made a little shorter with a hip-slung belt, etc. but they can easily look trashy with shirts that hit at or above the waistband.

Good:
link it
link it

Bad:
link it
link it

posted over 4 years ago

hopelesslydevoted
Style_council
hopelesslyde...

I don’t think leggings are in the same category as tights. And I don’t really understand what you mean by transparent at the top. And it’s not like a new thing either, since this used to be in about two decades ago. As long as the material is thick and it isn’t sticking where it’s not supposed to its fine.

And I definitely DON’T think they look trashy. Most of the girls around my campus who wear them are the athletic-type and it looks great on them. And I’m frankly tired of tunic with tights.

I think they can look very chic but each their own I guess.

posted over 4 years ago

Mollfie
Style_council
Mollfie

I also see leggings as being the same as tights, just without the feet. Unless you’re at the gym.

BUT

I also see nothing wrong with wearing them by themselves, if you have the confidence and the body for it. It’s about self-expression.

I’s say long t-shirts, oversized sweaters and long cardigans either done up or not can look really good.

posted over 4 years ago

heatherrr
Style_council
heatherrr

Here’s an example of what I meant by sheer at the top: link it

posted over 4 years ago

Ninahhh
Style_council
Ninahhh

i think there ulgy.

posted over 4 years ago

CourtneyElizabeth
Style_council
CourtneyEliz...

I think it depends on the material. Lycra or spandex leggings are hoisery, not pants. But denim or thicker cotton or similar materials cut in as leggings with a form fitting shape provide more coverage and shape.

I absolutely agree that when worn in place of pants when not working out, it makes one look like they forgot to finish getting dressed.

posted over 4 years ago

splashofcolour
Style_council
splashofcolour

I don’t get the isssue. The thin/sheer spandex type and lace ones aside, they’re no different to a pair of trousers. You wouldn’t wear denim or wet look tights or stockings so they’re not hoisery, they’re trousers. I do agree that some can make an outfit look incomplete without something covering the waistband but it’s better seeing a bit of waistband than seeing them worn with crap like denim minis and other skirts like a lot of people used to do a couple of years back. Plus some leggings now have buttons, pockets, details etc. so they’re like a pair of trousers anyway.

posted over 4 years ago

heatherrr
Style_council
heatherrr

If they have buttons and pockets, wouldn’t they be knit pants and not leggings?

Personally, I will continue to believe that an elastic waistband should always be covered, no matter what type of pants/hosiery/etc. it is on.

posted over 4 years ago

splashofcolour
Style_council
splashofcolour

“If they have buttons and pockets, wouldn’t they be knit pants and not leggings?”

Well, they’re often know as treggings or jeggings (depending on whether they’re denim or not), so they’re like a cross between the 2 cause they’re not proper trousers but they’re not standard leggings either.

posted over 4 years ago

welovecolors
Style_council
welovecolors

Leggings are a form of pants when you think about it. Splash is right. I do think that they look best with a shirt over them or with a sequined one.
The key to having a great pair of leggings is to be mindful of the length that you choose and get the right size.

posted over 4 years ago

ladyj88
Style_council
ladyj88

i dont think theyre like tights (sheer) unless u buy them really cheap. i buy mine from express. u might be able to tell from my pics, i am not skinny. although id have to say ive had thigh muscles since birth no joke. so they look good on me and most ppl for that matter. whatever you wanna call them. they look good on ppl. thats why u can find a pair in every store, on every celeb and in a select few decades. theyre not a bad thing unless your trying real hard to convince someone u could pass for a nightwalker lol

posted over 4 years ago

febnme
Style_council
febnme

im with heather on this one. but my kind of “rules” for leggings is the top has to be covered by long shirts sweaters and so on, and i think the bottom of the legging has to be covered too. like big boots or something. well at least as long as the dont hit calf length. i have always hated leggings that are like 3/4 length.like when worn under skirts and dresses and hit the calf. yuck. but i like them if they are hidden a bit.

posted over 4 years ago

kelllosaurus
Style_council
kelllosaurus

I love wearing leggings with boots in the winter. I usually wear two pairs, a lightweight pair underneath and a thicker pair on top.

posted over 4 years ago

_megee
Style_council
_megee

Personally, I don’t really like the style. Leggings under skirts and dresses look nice though! As long as they are at lease ankle length, 3/4 just looks so nasty! I think the arse and the crotch should be covered at least.

posted over 4 years ago

whydoumockme
Style_council
whydoumockme

i totally agree…..i don’t like the bright colored legging or the two-tone leggins look coming from american apparel…..they could be pants but your butt and crotch have to be covered….i don’t want to know the color of your underware

posted over 4 years ago

jongje
Style_council
jongje

i loveeee to wear tights but have to have something covering the crotch area. what would you rather? a slightly longer top that makes your legs look shorter, or everyone being able to see your panty line/possible other things. imagine. wet look tights with an oversized top + coloured boyfriend blazer. way cute!

posted over 4 years ago

themayflower
Style_council
themayflower

leggings as pants really annoy me, especially if the shirt doesn’t cover your private areas. no one wants to see that, i’m sorry to break it to you. and i agree about the bright colored leggings and the two-tone ones. they just look too flashy. i like the simple ones, plain color with no “wet” look to them, no print, nothing. they can go well with almost anything.

posted over 4 years ago

anonymours
Style_council
anonymours

if the leggings are thick, warm, and have design :)

posted over 4 years ago

SarahJaneR
Style_council
SarahJaneR

I wear leggings as pants, but I wear a longer shirt with them. I feel like denim leggings could be considered pants because they are an imitation of denim material, so you don’t initially think they are leggings. As far as standard leggings as regular trousers, I don’t think it’s a god idea unless you wear a shirt to cover your crotch. However, I have seen people wear sequin leggings as pants and even faux leather leggings as pants, especially high waist styles, which I kind of like too.

posted over 4 years ago

playingwithfire
Style_icon
playingwithfire

I think leggings as pants are fine as long as you wear a long enough shirt.

posted over 4 years ago

miss_scientist
Style_council
miss_scientist

i agree with a lot of people. wear them with pants but make sure it’s long enough to at the very least cover your crotch. no one likes a camel toe situation.

posted over 4 years ago
REPLY TO DISCUSSION