Googleplus
TAGS:  interviewfashionstyling tipswork clothes
mandybr
New_user mandybr is new to Chictopia!

Make Her Feel Welcome with Chic Points
10 points - Become a fan
5 points - Vote her photos into the Style Gallery
1 point - Post a comment on her photos

When mandybr reaches 200 Chic Points, she will be in the Style Council!
mandybr

I was wondering if I could wear a brown pencil skirt, with burgundy shirt, some heels, and add a tight like this one:Pattern tights from Best Sock Drawer to an interview (notice the interview is at a fashion store). Is it ok to dress a little more fun/free since it's for a fashion company? Or maybe would this clothes look too "matchy" and boring? What's your suggestions? Tks!

posted 7 months ago
lizolsen2011
Style_council
lizolsen2011

Do you mind sharing more info on what the position is? If you are going to be a sales clerk then by all means this is fine. If you are going to be management I would stay away from it and err on the side of professional (i.e. no polka dot stockings). They always say dress for the job you want. What do you think the person in the job you want wears on a daily basis? Think about that and that could help.

posted 7 months ago

Chessy
Style_council
Chessy

For me the polka dot tights are okay, as long as the heels are low heels. Conservative is always better for first encounters, interview or otherwise. If you insist on wearing those heels thenn wear brown or black tights.

posted 7 months ago

avivranthing
Style_council
avivranthing

You should make an outfit post on Chictopia so we can get a better idea of what your outfit looks like! :) 

posted 7 months ago

AnikaBurke
Shop_seller_2 AnikaBurke is a Chictopia seller who has been hand-picked by our editors to sell merchandise on our website.

Chictopia sellers carry fashion forward products and ensure great customer experience. Click here if you are interested in selling your merchandise on Chictopia.
AnikaBurke

When I interview people I notice that a lot of younger girls tend to wear what they think is business casual, but it usually comes across as cheap and tacky. If you are interviewing for a fashion job make that your clothing choices are tasteful with a funky flair that represents your own personal style.

posted 7 months ago

WinknPout
Style_council
WinknPout

If we were you, we would give the polka dots a miss. The way you have described the outfit, it just doesn't sound right and yes a bit matchy-matchy. If you have to make a statement, we would suggest you go with a necklace or a nice bag. Speak it with your accessories, and maybe even your hairstyle. 

Though what lizolsen2011 said about dressing the part is a gem! 

posted 6 months ago

coteriegirl
New_user coteriegirl is new to Chictopia!

10 points - Become a fan

When coteriegirl reaches 200 Chic Points, she will be in the Style Council!
coteriegirl

I find it's always a good idea to dress a little bit more conservately on the first encounter. However, a few funky acessories that express your personal style are a good way to give your outfit a little bit of an edge. (Especially if the postition is fashion-related!)

posted 6 months ago

amorphous_face
Style_council
amorphous_face

I don't think it is a good idea to wear patterned tights to a job interview.

posted 6 months ago

TaraNaTashaDA
New_user TaraNaTashaDA is new to Chictopia!

10 points - Become a fan

When TaraNaTashaDA reaches 200 Chic Points, she will be in the Style Council!
TaraNaTashaDA

Usually it's not a good idea to wear patterned tights, but you can push the envelope just a bit since you're trying to get work at a clothing store, as you also need to illustrate that you do understand color, styling and fashion.  

I would advise that you to make absolutely sure that the entire outfit is professional, if the tights stand out too much then it's wrong...

Keep your jewelry small and minimal (meaning small and in small amounts), make sure that you're hair is somewhat "corporate" (meaning buns or neat ponytails with minimal styling) and your accessories are appropriately sized for what you need (meaning stylish tote for documents and other needs or stylish yet professional handbag if you just need your phone etc).  Good luck

posted 6 months ago
REPLY TO DISCUSSION