Forum
SEARCH FORUM:
Facebook
Twitter
Googleplus
JessyHEARTS
Style_council
JessyHEARTS

I’m 15, going to college next year and I’ve been dressing in the same clothes for like ages. I know, it sounds exactly like one of those people from Gok’s Fashion Fix, or another one of those make-over programmes. But the thing is, I just never knew what my style was and just stuck to jeans, cardigan and plain white t-shirt. I know what I’d like my style to be like, preppy/boho. But I need help. Anybody? I don’t know what I expect, some advice maybe. Thank you for anything

:)

xoxo

posted about 5 years ago
raiscake
Style_council
raiscake

Your style isn’t something any of us can tell you. That’s something you have to figure out for yourself. But the journey is the most fun part of the whole thing. Don’t just follow trends, but do try any piece you like. Figure out how it will look with the rest of your wardrobe. Experiment. Make mistakes. Hit the nail. Always keep an open mind. And know that you will never really “find” your style. Like the rest of us, I’m sure it will constantly change. :)

But since you do have an idea of what kind of style you’re going for, you should look at the style gallery here. There are a lot of preppy/boho outfits. Also look at other fashion sites and blogs. Look at celebrities with the style you’re going for. Read magazines. Seek inspiration anywhere you can find it. From there, you can have a basic idea of what kind of outfit you want to try. As for stores that carry preppy/boho pieces, Charlotte Russe and Forever21 come to mind. You can also try thrift stores.

Good luck to you!

posted about 5 years ago

geekbonchic
Style_council
geekbonchic

I know what I’d like my style to be like, preppy/boho.

I think the biggest pitfall is that part right there. If you build up too many expectations of what you “should” or “want” to dress like, you might accidentally pass up something that would suit you wonderfully. If you start liking heavy studded things and giant drapey vests and red lipstick, then do it. I think you’re at the best possible place: you’re totally open, totally free, and can do whatever you want. Like I tell everyone else, the key is to just start absorbing visual information. Read magazines, surf through blogs, watch TV. Inspiration can come from anywhere and everywhere. The trick is processing all of that cool stuff into something that makes sense for you. I would suggest flipping through the style gallery and look at how people make things work for themselves. Don’t try to dress like anyone other than yourself and it’ll work out fine! :)

posted about 5 years ago

shadowplay_
Style_council
shadowplay_

The advice above has been great! I would also suggest just going shopping and taking a big bunch of clothes that you like (but you perhaps haven’t really had the guts to wear before) and try them all on. Work out what suits your body shape/what you like wearing/what you feel comfortable in. And if you see an outfit you like, think about what you like so much about it. Is it a piece in particular? The way they put it together? Maybe you have a taste for neck accessories that you’ve never really realised before because you never thought about it. Pick out the things that you’re admiring/liking the most and buy them. Experiment with clothes you already have. Hope this helped. Have fun! :)

posted about 5 years ago

splashofcolour
Style_council
splashofcolour

I think that, considering that you know what type of look you want to achieve, go out shopping on the lookout for preppy and boho clothing and accessories that you can mix up what the clothes that you already have. Also when you buy things make sure you can return them if you want/need to as you’ll find that not every piece of clothing or ever accessory in those styles is going to suit you or going to go with your other clothes. Transforming your style will feel easier if you ease yourself into it, rather than going all out on a new style all at once.

posted about 5 years ago
REPLY TO DISCUSSION