Forum
SEARCH FORUM:
Facebook
Twitter
Googleplus
splashofcolour
Style_council
splashofcolour

Maybe you should start off by investing in new pieces like dresses and heels, but until you’re more confident about showing your body in them also wear stuff like tight or leggings, and cardigans and nice jackets.
Don’t change everything about your style all at once, or else you’ll probably end up feeling just as unconfident as you do now. If you take it one step at a time, learning to like and show off one feature of your body at a time, hopefully you’ll gain more confidence over time and your new way of dressing will eventually come easily to you.

posted over 5 years ago
elzabth
Style_council
elzabth

Ah! I have similar body parts. That sounds really weird.
I have really sloped shoulders- so I rarely wear anything sleeveless, (my own insecurities) but really, throwing on a cardigan over things is so easy and chic.
My legs are def. not the thinnest, and I have such Koreangirl calves (thick… hahah) but I think I just got over it some time in the past because I love dresses and I didn’t want to give them up. But I do tend to wear heels, or at least something that gives me a bit of a lift. Not only do they make your calves look better, I think they actually do end up better … a little bit anyway. plus you can wear dark tights which’‘ll have a slimming effect.
& there’s tons of clothes that “cover up” but do it without you looking like you’re wrapped in a muumuu. good luck!

posted over 5 years ago

plummy
Style_council
plummy

Awww, sweetie! I am 16, I’m 5’4 and 150 lbs Thats a big girl! Get this, my waist is 26 inches, and my hips are 40! thats a big differerence lol. I dance, so a lot of me is muscle, but I’m the biggest girl in my ballet class… maybe even the biggest girl to ever attend my studio, but its all good.
I think that confidence is key. Everyone is different. There is no perfect body. The beautiful thing about all of the chictopians that you so admire, is the fact that they accept who they are, and celebrate it by wearing what feels good. Sometimes the sexiness has absolutely nothing to do with the clothes. Its the attitude.
I recomend starting with the basics, a little black dress, something sexy in cashmere, strappy stilletos (and treat yourself to a pedicure). Those things are so happy making because you can always feel good in them. They exude quiet sexiness. I recommend starting there and working up once you get used to looking and feeling amazing.
If youre not too embarrased, i recommend standing nude in front of a mirror and honestly assessing yourself. Try seeing your body through the eyes of someone else. Find what looks good and dress it!

posted over 5 years ago

foxhuntvintage
Style_council
foxhuntvintage

i agree with plummy – the key to starting a new style is to step back and be realistic – but be careful of falling into old biases. Taking pictures of yourself in things you feel are flattering and things that aren’t also helps to put some objective distance between you and the image of yourself – it’ll make things easier if you can detatch for a minute and just look.
if i can be so bold, may i pass on a couple things i’ve learned?
one: if you don’t feel good in it, you don’t look good in it. your clothes should never be a (huge) hinderance (a little discomfort is fine, i think)
two: whatever it is, make sure it fits.
three: take an afternoon and go to a store you love and TRY ON EVERYTHING – you’ll learn really quickly about what looks good on you once you see the pattern, without having to invest a penny. try an outfit that’s been styled on a mannequin for some help with putting together outfits.
good luck lady – we’re all in the same boat :)

posted over 5 years ago

lovelydress
Style_council
lovelydress

well… no one is perfect. I hate my tummy… I suffered anorexia for ages and i only wore baggy clothes and tryed to hide all my body from others.
now, i´m ok, maybe i get fatter in the last year cause i´m eating normally again, but i think now my body it´s good enough if you look it as a whole. (yes, my legs are too long and my torso is too short, my bumb is flat, my arms too skinny, my boobs too big… so if you just look a part of my body you probably think it´s horrible…
Well… come back to the point… I just realised that wearing dresses I can hide my belly but show my legs (i love my legs haha) and it´s still fashion and cute.
Like foxhuntvintage said, you need to know what fits you and what doesn´t. Just try, experience, change… :)
And good luck
xx

posted over 5 years ago

elora
Style_council
elora

my advice is to start with tights under the skirts and shorts…then you’ll get used to wearing the skirts/shorts and gain the confidence to wear them without the tights by the time the weather warms up for spring!

posted over 5 years ago

poorandweird
Style_council
poorandweird

lower, more open necklines will make sure yer neck doesn’t look stumpy.

posted over 5 years ago

poorandweird
Style_council
poorandweird

i have pigeon toes, disproportionately large bewbs and little legs. I wear tight jeans that emphasise it all anyway … haha, i fail.

posted over 5 years ago

SarahJayne
Shop_seller_2 SarahJayne is a Chictopia seller who has been hand-picked by our editors to sell merchandise on our website.

Chictopia sellers carry fashion forward products and ensure great customer experience. Click here if you are interested in selling your merchandise on Chictopia.
SarahJayne

Hi Sarah, I’m SarahJayne : ). I think it’s cool that you’ve become inspired to discover your style. Thats a very good thing. And don’t hate on yourself over your perceived flaws, because we ALL have flaws! Even celebrities aren’t perfect. Find the things you LIKE about yourself and work with those, and learn the fashion tricks which conceal the features you aren’t keen on! ANYONE can look great, regardless of their size and shape. Beauty comes in all different forms!

Now, about your style to be! * Short, wide legs? Black is always slimming, so if you’re insecure about your legs, wear black pants/leggings/tights.
  • You can add length to your legs by wearing heels or wedges (you might wanna start with wedges since they’re more comfortable …. then work your way into heels). Adding length will also have a slimming effect.
  • Flat butt? Tummy pudge? No worries! A dress with some relaxed/full/non-figure hugging skirting will easily conceal these things.
  • No defined waistline? TONS of gals complain about this – myself included. You can use belts in dark colors to create the illusion of a waistline though! Remember, black = slimming. If you paid a wide black belt over a top or dress, it’ll make your waistline look narrower by comparison.
* Short neck? Most people wouldn’t notice that! But, a v neckline, will add the illusion of length.
posted over 5 years ago

Bubu
Style_council
Bubu

Ladies, I think you all have fantastic bodies and nothing is wrong with you. I know that I hated my body since I was a small child but the moment I saw my boyfriend saying for first time that he adores my curvy legs and my stomach I realized that there is actually no reason to hide it all. Now I’m wearing everything what I want and people give me good comments, so I feel sexy and am ready to risk a lot more.

posted over 5 years ago

lizsheff
Style_council
lizsheff

Aw hon! I agree with other posters, it’s totally all about loving and working with what you’ve got! For years I’ve been attracted to the preppy look (went to prep school, go figure), but women who rock that look are often so straight up and down! Now I go for more glam, it suits me better. You need to just go try loads of things on and see what you think you look great in. Don’t hold onto the “idea” of your fashion – love it, have fun with it til you find something you rock! Also, what my aunt told me, which changed my life, if you have short legs, fake tan in dresses/skirts. Makes them look slimmer almost instantaneously! And always give yourself great hair – style basics. Good hair/skin (or best you can fake) makes all outfits look 100x better! Good luck!

posted about 3 years ago
REPLY TO DISCUSSION