Forum
SEARCH FORUM:
Facebook
Twitter
Googleplus
RacheLace
Style_council
RacheLace

I just bought a black leather mini (it was on clearance—I couldn’t resist). I need some advice on how I can make it work for class or everday without it coming across as trashy. Ideas anyone?

posted about 4 years ago
still_fly
Style_council
still_fly

Leather and lace looks great together, so u could pair it with a lace crop. You could also wear a vintage t shirt and a boyfriend blazer with it

posted about 4 years ago

SilviaSPNY
Style_council
SilviaSPNY

how about thick black tights, black lace-up boots, a v-neck cardi(soft grey colour or something like that) and underneath a plain black top! and to give it a classy touch, a skinny leather belt at your waist! chic? =)

posted about 4 years ago

irisanddaniel
Style_icon
irisanddaniel

wear it like a school girl! inspiration: proenza schouler fall 2010. :D

posted about 4 years ago

pandaphilia
Style_council
pandaphilia

i agree – lace and leather do look awesome. tone down the edgyness with something girly and romantic!

posted about 4 years ago

taralily
Style_council
taralily

I think black sheer tights might actually look awesome with that, rather than just opaque black tights.

posted about 4 years ago

PontieriaNicole
Style_council
PontieriaNicole

On my blog I show a photo of a girl wearing a leather skirt in a very chic and classy way,its the blog entry titled Photoset:Off The Street Chic, and its the last photo in the set. I hope its helpful to you :D

posted about 4 years ago

katharles
Style_council
katharles

I agree, lace goes really well with leather – it adds a soft feminine touch. How about pastel florals? I’d stay away from bright florals because you’d want something to tone down the intensity of the leather skirt.

A plain white shirt shirt goes well with leather as well. Something a little less form fitting I’d say.
http://www.zimbio.com/Julissa+Bermudez/articles/3/Julissa+s+TRL+Style
http://media.onsugar.com/files/ons1/290/2908432/16_2009/8b018ab2c52beb2a_whitney-port.xxlarge.jpg
http://cm1.theinsider.com/thumbnail/400/600/cm1.theinsider.com/media/0/85/98/paris-hilton_nicky_hilton.jpg

posted about 4 years ago

carlymaddox
Style_council
carlymaddox

I would add some lace/floral stuff. and some sort of pastel colours, so you have that sort of soft look, but it’s edgy, too. And some cute heels. :D

posted about 4 years ago

coldlight
Style_council
coldlight

I like the idea of wearing it with lace or florals for a more feminine take! Maybe you could also try wearing it with a black+white or red+white checkered top with a red scarf tied around your head for a rockabilly type look!

posted about 4 years ago

MissSmile1423
Style_council
MissSmile1423

A soft silky button down in a white or off white would be cute. Pretty much, stick to light colors, or girly peices, so the leather mini doesn’t look too grungy (Unless that’s what you’re aiming for). Maybe a pretty sweater?

posted about 4 years ago

kat18
Style_council
kat18

You can wear a man’s button down tee, a blazer and flats or oxfords, that way it will be appropriate for school=)

posted about 4 years ago

MurasakiNeko
Style_council
MurasakiNeko

Lace. Lace with leather is classic and very trendy right now; it’s definitely a do.

Button-downs. Go with a traditional cut for a more businesslike look; choose softer, feminine shapes (ruffles, neck bows, etc— like secretary blouses) or prints (like floral) if you want to tone down the severity.

Blazers. Businesslike again, it’s like an edgy leather-bottomed “suit.” Less businesslike jackets also are cool, just don’t choose leather obviously :-P

T-shirts. Casual and you really can’t go wrong with it. Lighter colors take the edge off.

Thick, cozy sweaters. I think after the lace this is my favorite option because of the cool contrast in textures. Especially if you choose a very soft sweater; there’s a sort of an innocent sexiness to soft sweaters, and then leather is more obviously sexy, and so together it makes for a look with a lot of sensuality that isn’t explicit or trashy.

As for footwear, I think you have a lot of options. Steer clear of things like thigh-high patent leather boots lest you look too fetish-y, but standard boots, ankle boots, flats, and oxfords would be fine depending on the top you’re wearing. (And tons of heels would work, too— not sure how you feel about heels for school?). I think tights would be great, too: thick, opaque, sheer, black, any color— just no fishnets or thigh-highs, it’d be too dominatrix.

posted about 4 years ago

vintagetreasure
Style_council
vintagetreasure

i have a black leather high waisted skirt, and i wear it with a flowy white shirt tucked in, it looks very classy! good luck

posted almost 4 years ago

ParisInPink
Style_council
ParisInPink

I agree – it’s always a good idea to match hard/edgy materials like leather with softer and more delicate materials like lace or cotton. a cropped cotton tshirt might be cute…

TupacTupacxo
Style_council
TupacTupacxo

pair it with a soft blouse and heels.

TamQuoia
Style_council
TamQuoia

soften it up with a feminine top

REPLY TO DISCUSSION