SEARCH FORUM:
Facebook
Twitter
Googleplus
TAGS:  formal maxi dresses
monchere
Style_council
monchere

I love all the maxi skirts on Chictopia, and I’ve been inspired. However, I have noticed that tall, lean girls can pull it off. The problem is that I’m 5 feet and 5 and a half inches tall. So I inquire: How would a short, curvy girl like me wear a maxi skirt? I like chic and casual outfits, but I’m open to all suggestions. Thanks!

posted over 3 years ago
coldlight
Style_council
coldlight

I’m loving the maxi skirt trend too! I’m short as well (around 5’ 3 or 4) and not super thing. I think it’s good if the skirt shape is thinner and not too billowy/voluminous so that you get lost in the fabric. Wearing the skirt high waisted will also be flattering. Block colours may also look better rather than busy fabrics/prints. Wearing heels or wedges with the skirt will help too! I also like sheer maxi skirts, I think they are a bit more interesting but don’t give too much volume as they are sheer. Hope that helps a bit!

posted over 3 years ago

MiuSan
Style_council
MiuSan

Well i’m 5’10 and maxi skirts still make me look short.
I’d just do a maxi dress instead of maxi skirt. I think this is one of the hardest trends this season to pull off well.

posted over 3 years ago

TiaGadelita
Style_council
TiaGadelita

i like long skirt and dress!!!they look so gorgeous and royal!!!it MAKES girl’a figure more slender and graceful!!so it helps to hide disadvantages !!!

posted over 3 years ago

monchere
Style_council
monchere

Thanks guys! I will definitely be trying out this look soon!

posted over 3 years ago

SONIAP
Style_council
SONIAP

hi

Well i have just uploaded an amazing picture of a girl wearing a maxi skirt , she wears it around 3/4 inches above the ankle,

It just looks amazing,

See you

posted over 3 years ago

monchere
Style_council
monchere

Thanks. I will be looking out for a nice maxi. I love the look for spring, especially when it’s not too warm yet.

posted over 3 years ago

staystitching
Style_council
staystitching

just be confident and wear some killer heels

posted over 3 years ago

OnTheGanges
Style_council
OnTheGanges

Ffff, I’m 5’0" and I know I can pull of a maxi skirt, because I own one! Just buy one that fits at your natural waistline — the smallest part of your middle — and if it’s still too long, just hem it up. (Or wear heels!) Tuck in your top, and you’ll simply /look/ taller. This is a huge point for shorter girls, to wear long skirts and pants that are high-waisted, with heels. You can totally pull it off, I promise. Even if you’re curvy, most maxi-skirts are pretty free in the hip area. Just shop for them in person and try everything on; you’ll find something that looks good.

I personally think that if you’re wearing a maxi skirt, that you should wear a plain (but not boring) top that doesn’t bunch up when you tuck it into the skirt. Also, put a belt around your waist as well, where the skirt starts.

Also also, I saw this super rad girl on Lookbook (Olivia Harrison; she’s featured on ‘Beyond the Hype’ this month) wear a black solid maxi dress with a top over it, and it looked really awesome. Look her up, and consider her style!

posted over 3 years ago

bubblegum93
Style_council
bubblegum93

Definitely show some ankle with the maxi skirt. Wedges with a strap around the ankle make the skirt so much sexier too. Try pairing it with a fitted top so you don’t have the shape of a teepee

posted over 3 years ago

monchere
Style_council
monchere

Thanks everyone! I will try to get to the mall soon to see if I can pick one up. Keep all the suggestions coming, and I will definitely update as soon as I get one!

posted over 3 years ago

monchere
Style_council
monchere

I have another question. I love the maxi skirt look, but I’m not sure it would look good on me. This is because I’m curvy in all the wrong places. Instead of getting large in all directions, my stomach sticks out. I have quite large rolls on my stomach, and I’m worried that a maxi skirt won’t look good. Help please? Thanks.

posted over 3 years ago

FauveAndHunter
Style_council
FauveAndHunter

I’m 5’1, and easily look like my clothes are wearing me if its not quite right, with maxi skirts, if your on the shorter end of the scale, its good to go with a high waisted one, it has more of a streamline cut, flowing out above the knees, I love them with vintage Tees and leather jackets, or blazers. hides bellies, no leg issues, and if you’re not comfortable with your arms either, then voila! yet it still looks sexy and adventurous.

posted over 3 years ago

clashingstyle
Style_council
clashingstyle

How about trying to tuck in a blouse under the skirt to your real waist instead of lower on the hips?
I just bought a maxi skirt a couple weeks ago and did this. It works for me I’m sure it would work for bigger girls too. Also recommend a pair of heels to give the illusion of height. Oh and don’t show ankle, at least TRY not to. It’s really unsightly with long skirts.

posted over 3 years ago

everydayoutfits
Style_council
everydayoutfits

Definitely pair it with wedges and heels. Tbh, you’re not that short, so I think you’ll look fine in a maxi skirt :)
If you’re worried about your tummy protuding, try to get one that sits a bit higher on the waist and is a bit floaty

posted over 3 years ago

iirriissssyy
Style_council
iirriissssyy

Maxi lengths creates an illusion of longer legs in effect you may look taller and leaner

posted over 3 years ago

monchere
Style_council
monchere

Thanks for all your help, guys! I have a long weekend, so I might try to go shopping. Hopefully I find one!

posted over 3 years ago

carizzachua
Style_council
carizzachua

im only 5’2 hehe but it would be best if you can wear high wedges!

posted over 3 years ago

blairkyliejay
Style_council
blairkyliejay

I’m 5’2" and maxi’s are my obsession!! My suggestion is to pair it with some heeled wedges for spring/summer. But for a night out, try some gladiator style heels!! =D Heels always make your legs look longer and will make the skirt “float” effortlessly across the ground, making you look like you’re gliding as you walk.

See my blog for some examples! http://www.chictopia.com/blairkyliejay

Hope that helps!

posted over 3 years ago

newday_newoutfit
Style_council
newday_newou...

i just bought a maxi dress, and i am 5’11, but my friend just bought one too. we came up with the idea of having it tailored, so its now in layers and frames her shorter torso nicely. just make sure your tailor is someone you trust so that they don’t ruin your skirt.

posted over 3 years ago

monchere
Style_council
monchere

eaalfano, do you have a photo of your friend wearing the tailored maxi skirt? I’d like to see it.

posted over 3 years ago

loosethreads
Style_council
loosethreads

I’m extremely short (4’9") but I found that the flow and length of the maxi skirts/dresses are key. I don’t own any myself, but I’ve tried on a few and I honestly believe that they shouldn’t go past your ankle. Also, wearing heels will help make you look taller, and wearing a tighter top, like a bodysuit or bralet, or a crop top works to contrast with the skirt, too.

posted over 3 years ago

kakakakakaktya
Style_council
kakakakakaktya

Because of your height, wearing it with a pair of amazing wedges would both boost your height and give your outfit a boost too. As for the top, they look good with cropped tops and jumpers or pretty blouses and sheer shirts(as long as the maxi isn’t sheer) ;). In the winter, to give it an edge wear with a leather jacket.

posted over 3 years ago

lulut_marganingtyas
Style_council
lulut_margan...

combine with cropped top and high heels :)

posted over 3 years ago

DianneIngram
New_user DianneIngram is new to Chictopia!

Make Her Feel Welcome with Chic Points
10 points - Become a fan
5 points - Vote her photos into the Style Gallery
1 point - Post a comment on her photos

When DianneIngram reaches 200 Chic Points, she will be in the Style Council!
DianneIngram

Hello friends I am 5'10" and I bought a maxi skirt from honeyandlace.It is short but looking so lovely.All my friends like this...

posted 5 months ago
REPLY TO DISCUSSION