Forum
SEARCH FORUM:
Facebook
Twitter
Googleplus
pandaphilia
Style_council
pandaphilia

I understand that ripped tights are a huge trend and I like that but sometimes when I buy a new pair of tights and it just rips in one day, I become frustrated and immediately start mourning those poor things.

Are there stores that sell sturdier tights? I hate to dish out money on a cute fashionable pair to see it ruined after one snag.

And how do you avoid scratching them with your nails when you put them on? This all fazes me. The dotted opaque pair I wore in my most recent outfit are so awesome I want to wear them with everything but they ripped in a few hours. Gah!

Stylish ladies ready to dish out some advice?

posted over 4 years ago
MurasakiNeko
Style_council
MurasakiNeko

I haven’t found perfect sturdy tights, which is why I actually refuse to spend much money on tights unless they’re REALLY cute: I know I’ll rip them anyway, so why waste the money? I think opaque and higher denier tights are a little sturdier, but they still rip plenty easy. So all I can do is just be careful )-:

To avoid tearing tights as I put them on, I find the feet and bunch up the rest of the material in a circle around them so I can slip my feet right where they’re going to end up, and pull the tights up my legs from there without having to drag my toenails against the material. I also try to keep my nails— both fingers and toes— filed smooth, which keeps them from snagging on a variety of things, including tights. I’ve actually done emergency filing sessions on mornings I can tell my nails + the tights I planned to wear = disaster otherwise.

If you get a small tear in a non-visible place, you don’t necessarily have to throw the tights out. My mom taught me is to seal it with a little bit of clear nail polish while the tights are on you. The polish hardens the fibers so they don’t run and make the tear larger, which is otherwise what would happen. It doesn’t fix the tear, but it stops it from getting bigger and you can still wear the tights with shoes, skirts, etc that hide the tear.

posted over 4 years ago

chicchica_bonita
New_user chicchica_bonita is new to Chictopia!

Make Her Feel Welcome with Chic Points
10 points - Become a fan
5 points - Vote her photos into the Style Gallery
1 point - Post a comment on her photos

When chicchica_bonita reaches 200 Chic Points, she will be in the Style Council!
chicchica_bo...

you could try opaque tights, like the george ones from walmart have alweays worked nice for me. also, when you see a little hole starting that could get bigger, use a little clear nail polish, its classic

posted over 4 years ago

Bennie52491
Style_council
Bennie52491

If you find that a run is starting in you tights just take a little clear nail polish and rub on the area

posted over 4 years ago

opfiend
Style_council
opfiend

Dritz Fray Check also works. Being someone who doesn’t paint nails but sews, this is what I do.

posted over 4 years ago

juju_noodle85
Style_council
juju_noodle85

watch were your walking and sitting avoid sharp things that could snag.

posted over 4 years ago

xxcorkscloset
Style_council
xxcorkscloset

the nailpolish thigns works great,

if you want black tights that dont rip go for sweater tights, theyre not really ideal in summer but they’re for sure sturdy. anne klein has nice ones.

posted over 4 years ago

Sarabear
Style_council
Sarabear

well i had tqo pairs of tights rip the first time i wore them, because i put them on wrong, dont put them on like pants. scrunch them up, and stick your foot in and then pull up the tight, if you just stick your foot in w/o scrunching, snagging may occur, and in result, will rip yout tights

posted over 4 years ago

v_toria
Style_council
v_toria

I found that the store claires actually sells amazing tights. I had this one pair from there that lasted me to almost a year with no rips. as a little extra bonus they they are really soft and don’t fall down!

posted over 4 years ago

pandaphilia
Style_council
pandaphilia

that’s a brilliant idea! i have pretty thick legs so i should go for a medium. will they wrinkle up and stuff from being too big?

posted over 4 years ago

WildCatt
Style_council
WildCatt

I liked the HUE tights I picked up at nordstrom rack, the only pair of mine that has yet to rip

posted over 4 years ago

tonilynnn
Style_council
tonilynnn

well everyone beat me to the nail polish trick, but I like buying tights from Urban Outfitters, and if you are just prone to ripping tights quickly (like me) just go to CVS or Walmart for the cheap ones. Some are actually pretty sturdy brands and will no doubt last you a while

posted about 4 years ago

MissSmile1423
Style_council
MissSmile1423

I got a pair of tights from Target a while ago and they havnt ripped or run at all!

posted about 4 years ago

Metric
Style_council
Metric

I think the best option would be to purchase opaque tights, they are sturdier than sheer.

posted about 1 year ago

Blessedwithmusic
Style_council
Blessedwithm...

Refinery29 released an article titled “Basic Training: Black Tights That Never Rip” – might be helpful! http://www.refinery29.com/40760

posted about 1 year ago
REPLY TO DISCUSSION