Forum
SEARCH FORUM:
Facebook
Twitter
Googleplus
kelllosaurus
Style_council
kelllosaurus

I’ve been sitting comfortably at a B cup for the past few years and never really had to worry about how to dress around my boobs; I could basically just wear whatever I wanted. But in the last year, I’ve gone from a 32B to a 32D…and probably still growing. Now, all of my favorite flowy tops make me look pregnant and I can’t fit into a lot of my other shirts, so I’ve just been wearing v-neck t-shirts until I figure out what to do.

I’m just wondering if anyone else has had problems dressing around their boob size, how they’ve been able to play them down, or make trends work for them. I love love love flowy summer shirts and my skinny jeans but I just feel like I look so top heavy and awkward. Any help would be great!

posted over 5 years ago
BeijingBelle
Style_council
BeijingBelle

I can’t help much, but I can tell you what not to do. I’ve seen many big-chested girls make this mistake. Don’t wear baggy clothes to try to hide it! Emphasize your waist and torso to show that you’re not overweight, just well endowed(can I use “endowed” when talking about chests? Well, you get my point anyway, right?).

posted over 5 years ago

confusedkid
Style_council
confusedkid

me too =( i have the same problem! from a 32B to 32C/D. Please help. anyone.. I feel that guys always check out my assets rather than my personality.

Sometimes I wish that i was a cup a. =(

posted over 5 years ago

coldlight
Style_council
coldlight

I hope I can help a bit with this… I wear an australian 12D (or thereabouts.. i should get properly sized :S ) which i think is 34D in US sizes. My bottom half is Aus size 10, thats about… 6 in us??
Yes sometimes I find it difficult to dress around this, because things will fit around my waist or hips but be too small for my chest. Oh the dresses i’ve had to leave because of this! And then if I buy a size bigger, it’s often a lot looser around my waist =S
I’ve learnt how to deemphasise my chest, i think if you look at my pics my chest isn’t all that obvious :P
Anyway here are some tips:
-Embrace your chest size! Don’t try and hide it!! learn what looks good on you…
-Avoid tops that are too tight or too big- a little bit loose is fine, but tops that are baggy or loose (like smock tops or even some baby-doll style tops) will hang straight over your boobs and look tent-like.
-Choose tops that are lower cut, preferably v-neck or even roundish, these are most flattering. Maybe about a hand-width from your neck down? So your neck doesn’t look cut off but isn’t too revealing. Not too low cut unless you want to draw attention there. :P and high cut tops like normal tshirts are less flattering because they cut off your neck… never skivvies!!
-Draw attention away from your top half by wearing patterned, detailed, colourful or interesting skirts, shorts, tights, or shoes! Match these with plainer tops/cardigans and dark colours are most flattering.
-Balance between the top and bottom halves is key. for example wearing flared, layered or ruffled skirts, which will help give the impression of an hourglass figure.
-What also helps with this is cinching in your waist with a sash or belt… try thin to medium width belts in diff colours. (really thick/wide belts might cut you off if you’re short like me!) Even if you have a flowy dress you can make it work to your advantage by adding a belt under your bust :)
-I think high waist skirts and shorts look good!
-Yes you can still wear skinny jeans and not look too top heavy! straight leg jeans that aren’t skin-tight-skinny are probably most flattering though. Try wearing lighter coloured denim like gray or blue instead of black or dark blue, with a darker coloured top.
-Wearing tops like pussy bow blouses may seem hard because they are higher necked and draw attention to your chest, but again I say balance is key, if you can wear a coat or skirt that flares out from your waist with it, it won’t look too uneven. I try and do this because i love blouses with detailed necklines! can’t stay away from them… :)

Hmm.. long post… :P anyway hope these ideas helped!! if i think of any more suggestions i’ll post them here….
Also the main thing is confidence!! Feel proud of your assets, i know heaps of girls would like to have bigger bra sizes!! :P It might be a bit harder to find clothing that suits and flatters you, but you’ll definitely be able to :)

posted over 5 years ago

nobutterfly
Shop_seller_2 nobutterfly is a Chictopia seller who has been hand-picked by our editors to sell merchandise on our website.

Chictopia sellers carry fashion forward products and ensure great customer experience. Click here if you are interested in selling your merchandise on Chictopia.
nobutterfly

Exactly had same problem in high school. I am now a 32 dd (34 d), but figured out how to minimize the emphasis. Start with two or three really good bras. At least one that matches your skin tone, one black, and a minimizer.

Generally go for light wash, textured, and patterned bottoms. For example get your slacks in thin checkered gray and brown instead of black, unless it is a suit. Add structured jackets. Bubble skirts look great and pretty much anything that pear-shapes stay away from. Try to stay away from too many ruffles on top unless your look is monochromatic.

Have fun! So many girls pay lots of money to change their bodies. Love yourself and every part of you will slowly start to love you back.

People used to reference my breasts in conversation. Last week i went bra shopping, and the new girl at the store was not convinced to get me a bra in my actual size until i made her measure me. Ahh.

You can also just throw away all rules and play by ear.

posted over 5 years ago

poorandweird
Style_council
poorandweird

30FF, hi there.

I go for tops with a lower scoopneck, not wearing necklaces that will disappear into your cleavage, slightly baggy is better than slightly too tight, and belting in things at the waist ensures that it doesn’t just look like fat.

Also a properly fitting bra, obviously :P

posted over 5 years ago

calivintage
Style_icon
calivintage

i could go on and on on this topic. i have to chime in because this is also a huge issue for me, no pun intended. i wear a 32dd and i am not into playing up my size. i have found that some of the rules for dressing a larger chest just don’t work for me! i definitely urge you to look at my styles here to see how i manage to downplay my size. i definitely don’t think loose clothing is hands off for girls with our type of figure. it’s all about balance and proportion.

oh and i completely agree with nobutterfly. the most important thing is to go to an upscale lingerie shop and get yourself fitted properly. i am always saying that and i know i sound like oprah, but a proper fitting bra will completely change everything and it will give you tons of confidence! surprisingly, when you get the proper bra, it’s actually very slimming and minimizing!

good luck!

posted over 5 years ago

RazzleDazzleMe
Style_council
RazzleDazzleMe

I totally agree with calivintage and poorandweird. I hate cheap bras, I’m a 34c. My favorite bra right now was from Calvin Klein. Very good support and they make a great strapless. I try an emphasize my neck and shoulders. I wear loose tops and fitted dresses. Also don’t be afraid to show them off, when it’s appropriate.

Don’t buy tops that have a line going through them. Those make the chest look bigger!

posted over 5 years ago

poorandweird
Style_council
poorandweird

In my experience, any bra in my size under £20 has not been so good in terms of comfort and support. If they cost a lot, they’ll last for ages though… good quality :D

posted over 5 years ago

calivintage
Style_icon
calivintage

i recommend fantasie and simone perele. they’re probably around $80 each, but they are definitely worth it.

posted over 5 years ago

kelllosaurus
Style_council
kelllosaurus

You guys are all so helpful thanks!! and calivintage, your outfits are so adorable.
Have any of you found a certain brand for strapless bras you like best? I’ve tried on a few that just seem to squish, separate, and push down my boobs and it just look weird in tops.

posted over 5 years ago

calivintage
Style_icon
calivintage

fantasie smoothing strapless bra

i live by this bra. it is perfection, i promise. before i got this thing, i didn’t think it was possible for me to go strapless.

as you can see i am very passionate on this topic. haha!

posted over 5 years ago

aranell
Style_icon
aranell

Freya are great for pretty plus-size bras. I went into Calvin Klein and asked for my bra size once and was told it didn’t exist!
I’ve never had a strapless bra that works but I’m intrigued by the one calivintage has posted!

I’m a 30E and pretty petite everywhere else – a UK size 8. The toughest thing for me is not being too revealing – I HATE how I look in high necklines, as other people have mentioned above. It just makes my boobs look even bigger and really disproportionate, but if I wear anything even vaguely low-cut I show a ton of cleavage.

posted over 5 years ago

poorandweird
Style_council
poorandweird

^^ i personally don’t like Freya, but everyone’s got different shaped breasts and many people i know LOVE their bras.

I would add Panache to the brand list, they’re so so good.

posted over 5 years ago

shadowplay_
Style_council
shadowplay_

Wow, everyone’s so informative I don’t know how else I can help. Just one thing: stay away from smock/trapeze dresses/tops. They will make you look a LOT heavier than you actually are. Learn from my mistakes!

posted over 5 years ago

kelllosaurus
Style_council
kelllosaurus

^^ yeah, I’ve learned about the trapeze tops the hard way too :) I didn’t notice until the morning after looking through Facebook pictures. I looked pregnant!

aranell: Uggh I know what you mean! I have the internal debate everyday on to wear a crewneck (which are now too tight and make them look hugeee) or any other neck line that would give everyone in my Spanish class a show.

posted over 5 years ago

catbitches
Style_council
catbitches

I know loads of people have helped you out already but I couldn’t resist replying…

Hun, embrace you’re cleavage: there’s not a lot else you can do. Aside from getting them surgically reduced. 30F here (so nice to know there are a load of you out there) and I only ever wear V-necks, low necks etc.

Everyone has given spot on advice- get measured properly, wear lower neck lines, cold light has done a great post.

Finally, I do not understand this constant worry about looking like a tart. Yes lower necklines are going to draw a little more attention but lets me honest; men are going to check out you’re rack regardless of you’re size.

posted over 5 years ago

allybell
Style_council
allybell

I’ve been a 10E since I was 15 and I used to get real upset about it, but now I love it haha!
The WORST thing is bikini shopping, coz I’m skinny enough everywhere but my boobs!

Always take your Mum or someone rather than a friend and remember…

People pay good money for boobs like ours!

posted over 5 years ago

aranell
Style_icon
aranell

catbitches – i agree with being proud of what you’ve got but it is really inappropriate for me to show any cleavage at work – i work with special needs teenagers and they have a lot of hormones going on. So it is always a worry for me, sadly :(

posted over 5 years ago

catbitches
Style_council
catbitches

Ah aranell that’s a little different though non? :)

I should clarify that you must always be aware of time and place (when it concerns you’re cleavage)

Otherwise if you work with teenage boys (or in a church, or orphanage etc…) like aranell it may get you the wrong kind of attention.

Cat Bitches.com

posted over 5 years ago

aranell
Style_icon
aranell

yeah, definitely. in my spare time i let the girls out to play! ;)

posted over 5 years ago

kelllosaurus
Style_council
kelllosaurus

So I just got measured again for the first time in a year and I’m actually closer to a 30DD than a 32D. My boyfriend is going to love this news!

posted over 5 years ago
REPLY TO DISCUSSION