Forum
SEARCH FORUM:
Facebook
Twitter
Googleplus
fashionbysai
Style_council
fashionbysai

Hey ladies! Hope you’re all having a great time!

I was thinking about this question in my mind the whole day. How do one become a stylist for someone? Do you have to go to school for that?

posted about 2 years ago
BravoCoconut
New_user BravoCoconut is new to Chictopia!

Make Her Feel Welcome with Chic Points
10 points - Become a fan
5 points - Vote her photos into the Style Gallery
1 point - Post a comment on her photos

When BravoCoconut reaches 200 Chic Points, she will be in the Style Council!
BravoCoconut

It depends on what kind of stylist you want to be.
You definitely don’t have to go to school for it, but it can’t hurt.
A lot of the stylists I know were models or fashion bloggers beforehand and gained recognition that way before becoming stylists.

posted almost 2 years ago

cynchmolina
Style_council
cynchmolina

You can try applying in a Fashion Institute, they would help you know the nitty gritty in styling, clothes, color combinations, textures, etc. You can also start building up your portfolio after, then look for jobs that has to do with styling. Or you can promote your styling techniques through a DIY blog or a fashion blog :)

fashionbysai
Style_council
fashionbysai

Wow! Thanks for all the help ladies! I would love to know more. Hope you can share what you know about styling people here (so I don’t have to attend school for that LOL) :P

tightsandtea
Style_council
tightsandtea

landing a job as a stylist probably depends 100% on connections and how you put yourself out there. gain experience, give yourself public recognition (i.e. an online lookbook/CV? business cards? widely recognized fashion blog?), and never lose contacts.

before you make any money from it, you could probably intern or volunteer for other stylists. if you do a good job, maybe they could recommend you for other work, or even just hire you as an assistant. there’s a lot of different types of jobs you could work that would give you some similar experience—i.e. helping photographers for various photoshoots, helping makeup artists, offering services as a personal shopper, etc. just give people a chance to see that you are on top of current trends, have impeccable taste, etc.

personally, I don’t think you’d need a degree—unless it came from a widely recognized and respected institution. there are a bunch of scam-sounding “fashion” degrees from hoaksy colleges, and I think you’d just end up wasting money and making yourself look inexperienced.

catiebeatty
Forum_moderator
catiebeatty

I agree with TightsAndTea, it’s all about networking, experience, and you should have a strong understanding of all kinds of styles and tastes. One of my suggestions is don’t waste your money on going to a fashion institute. They are waaaay overpriced and with a job like styling, you may just end up with useless “credits” and tons of dept. It’s important to remember that schools like that are for profit. If you are looking at becoming a designer, then yes, go to school for it! But you don’t need schooling to be a stylist! It just takes a lot of work! Blogging is a great way to start!

REPLY TO DISCUSSION