Forum
SEARCH FORUM:
Facebook
Twitter
Googleplus
waterlily
Style_council
waterlily

How much black should you wear before it is too much? Yesterday I had on a black dress, black leggings, and black boots but ended up changing because I felt too funeral-like. I tried pairing an eye popping cardigan for some color, but I felt it looked a little weird. How much black is too much black and how would you suggest making an all black outfit more lively and not depressed?

posted over 2 years ago
1 2
yolandaburm
New_user yolandaburm is new to Chictopia!

Make Her Feel Welcome with Chic Points
10 points - Become a fan
5 points - Vote her photos into the Style Gallery
1 point - Post a comment on her photos

When yolandaburm reaches 200 Chic Points, she will be in the Style Council!
yolandaburm

try adding fashion jewelry , a nice silver, beaded, ethnic, gold whatever necklace can break the black look, just make sure it would compliment you dress :)

posted almost 2 years ago

Monroe
Style_council
Monroe

no such things as too much black! especially this time of year. go crazy!

http://inspire-thetribe.blogspot.com

KatHeart
Style_council
KatHeart

I personally love black, but there must be a line between sophisticated black and too much black. If your outfit is all black and you add heels, you look elegant. Add red heels, and a thin red belt to your black dress and there you go; no over-goth freak show. So its not just the color, but also the clothes. And of course, the obvi; ACCESSORIES!
Too colorful makeup will make your outfit look even more black because of the huge contrast… If you want colorful makeup, add a bracelet, hat, or scarf that matches.

tightsandtea
Style_council
tightsandtea

if you’re going to do an all-black ensemble, at least try to play with textures

Siesie
Style_council
Siesie

There’s no such thing as too much black! The only way I can think of all black looking bad is if every article of clothing is very plain. If your dress had an interesting cut and your boots gave the outfit an extra “oomph,” it probably looked fine.

The right combination of interesting black pieces looks elegant. This is one of my favorite fashion bloggers: http://www.sophistiquenoir.com/

Yes, she’s gothic, but she has such a sophisticated style. It’s far from the Hot Topic stereotype. She’s the perfect example of how the right styling and accessories can make black look amazing.

KeilaFromPR
Style_council
KeilaFromPR

black in every outfit in one year is too much black ;)

nazlay
Style_council
nazlay

never too much

shozom
Style_council
shozom

I agree that you can never have too much black. It’s all about the pieces you choose for the outfit!

posted over 1 year ago

priscillaraq
Style_council
priscillaraq

I don’t believe in too much black

posted over 1 year ago

BeckyBedbug
Style_council
BeckyBedbug

You can never have too much black!

posted over 1 year ago

fleurdurham
New_user fleurdurham is new to Chictopia!

10 points - Become a fan

When fleurdurham reaches 200 Chic Points, she will be in the Style Council!
fleurdurham

you can never have too much black! As long as you bling it up with jewelry and glitter

posted over 1 year ago

FakeBlikeu
Style_council
FakeBlikeu

Sometimes too much is just too much.. if you go too black try to make a pop of colour.

posted over 1 year ago

byWoodsandWater
Style_council
byWoodsandWater

I think one can make an all black outfit stylish. I find it’s easier if you play with different fabrics, black lace, black leather, etc.

posted over 1 year ago

mackenzieellen
New_user mackenzieellen is new to Chictopia!

10 points - Become a fan

When mackenzieellen reaches 200 Chic Points, she will be in the Style Council!
mackenzieellen

There is no such thing as too much black. But to make my outfit less boring, I pick patterned black tights instead of plain, gray socks instead of black, fun jewelry, ect.

posted over 1 year ago

ElloLove77
Style_council
ElloLove77

I agree that you can’t have too much black! Just make sure you accent your figure enough to create a lovely silhouette. My favorite make up to pair with an all black outfit is red lipstick. It looks so classy! A sparkly necklace/bracelet/earrings would also be an elegant addition.

posted over 1 year ago

KoohBuh
Style_council
KoohBuh

you can never wear too much black. Black is an effortless color that will make any outfit look classy, mysterious, sexy and sophisticated all in one. Of course, be mindful of your make up, UNLESS you like to wear dark eye make up and lipstick. I always like to keep my makeup neutral or/with red lipstick when i wear black outfits.

posted over 1 year ago
1 2
REPLY TO DISCUSSION