Forum
SEARCH FORUM:
Facebook
Twitter
Googleplus
CiaraBaron
Style_council
CiaraBaron

Is anyone else struggling to dress appropriately to the weather, whilst still expressing their stlye? Over the past few weeks as snow has hit England I’ve found myself returning again and again to my black skinny jeans, boots and thermal tops and jumpers. I’ve usually a dainty dresses kind of girl, so I feel very under dressed! I’m off to London to visit Somerset house and a few markets tomorrow so I want to keep wrapped up warm, but the blogger inside me wants to look my best for the occasion!
Any advice?

posted over 1 year ago
FakeBlikeu
Style_council
FakeBlikeu

I have the exact problem.. but to feel better I accessorize.

posted over 1 year ago

nerey
Style_council
nerey

I have the same problem! I’m from Madrid but now live in Munich …. Spain is not usually very cold in winter, but Germany´s winter it is terrible! I love dresses and especially shoes, but here Ive not found a way to be myself, because cannot use any of my clothes… until spring!. Wearing horrible snow boots and jeans and sweaters everyday it´s driving me crazy!…. any advice?

posted over 1 year ago

BeckyBedbug
Style_council
BeckyBedbug

I love dressing in the summer- Cute dresses and skirts with a cardigan on top.

Winter dressing is so boring. I do love knitwear but I hate having to bundle up every time I leave the house.

posted over 1 year ago

RachelPheasant
Style_council
RachelPheasant

I am the exact opposite! I hate getting dressed in the summer and always feel so unfashionable. I like to wear skinny pants with wedges in the winter (gumsole wedges if it is snowing/icy out) and a really nicely cut minimal cashmere sweater, a circle scarf/interesting or handcrafted scarf (check out Boticca they have some great ones) and great jewelry. I personally feel more chic in minimal clothes and find that a pared down look with one or two really interesting pieces (shoes or jewelry) does the trick.

posted over 1 year ago

catiebeatty
Forum_moderator
catiebeatty

I am having so much trouble this winter! Luckily, we haven’t had snow in Seattle yet, but it’s still been pretty cold. Definitely focus on chic accessories, like fur hats and cute gloves. I know fur hats are very popular in London right now and so warm! I don’t know if you’re into maxi skirts and dresses, but I’ve found they’re perfect for cold weather since they hide long layers like leggings. They even work over boots! You’ll look chic and feel warm!

posted over 1 year ago

fashion_nerd
Style_council
fashion_nerd

I’m having the same problem! We’re having record low temps here in Utah this season, so it’s been tough to break out of the skinny jean and a sweater rut.

My best buy this year has been the super thick, soft sweater tights I picked up at Forever 21 for about $6. Combined with boots and a trench coat, they do a pretty decent job of warding off the below freezing chill!

posted over 1 year ago

cynchmolina
Style_council
cynchmolina

It’s an opportunity for you to work on those layers! That’s one of the many things I like about cold weather; I can actually use my denim tops, jumpers, colorful socks and scarves all together!

posted over 1 year ago

ElloLove77
Style_council
ElloLove77

Go with layers! I like wearing big sweaters, leggings, leg warmers, and knee-high boots. If you feel your dresses calling your name, wear a “wintry” one with leggings/skinny jeans and boots. Also, you could wear one of your dresses with a sweater over it. (This would look especially cute if the dress had a collar.) Have fun with it!

posted over 1 year ago

hii_live
Style_council
hii_live

Being Norwegian, I have quite a lot of experience with dressing for the cold, and my best tip is to start with thermal/wool underwear, good socks, shoes and buy a fabulous coat! The coat is what most people will see you in, so make sure it fits your style, is flattering and keeps you warm. A wooly princess coat with a fur lined hoodie, for example – or even a cape! Stock up on short sleeve wool tops to wear underneath everything, and wear longjohns with jeans. Shoes absolutely must be lined, and you should have room for a thicker sock in them as well. A little heel helps to keep you off the cold ground (it’s true!).

When you have your coat in place, get some accessories to wear with it – mittens/gloves, a hat, scarf and even make sure your bag and shoes go together with the coat. As I said, this is how most people will see you during the winter :) Also, think about layering (cashmere cardigans are your best friend) and choosing natural, thicker fabrics.

I made you a little outfit on Polyvore, just to give you some ideas (I looked at your outfits here on Chictopia, hopefully this is somewhat your style): http://www.polyvore.com/cgi/set?id=70576664 . Fleece lined tights worn with over-the-knee socks over is so cute, and the fur lined boots keep you warm all day. If it’s really cold, wear a long sleeve wool top underneath the dress, otherwise, just make sure you have a natural fabric as your bottom layer. A cute and warm cardigan, scarf that picks up a color from the dress, awesome coat and shearling gloves keep you warm and chic.

Hope it helps!

posted over 1 year ago
REPLY TO DISCUSSION