Forum
SEARCH FORUM:
Facebook
Twitter
Googleplus
draco_182_2006
Style_council
draco_182_2006

Hey Everyone…I was recommended to this site because to say the least I have no clue to start on how to look nice. To be honest I am a large girl all over. I want to look nice without showing alot of skin and not keeping things really form fitting. I’m sorry about the lack of a picture. I would love any ideas on what that might work well with someone who is a bit bigger on the top as well as ways to flatter a larger tummy. I’m warming up to the skirt and dress department as well as other things. Shoewise…heels scare me. I’m a bit of a tomboy and I want to start looking girly but I don’t want to dive into the pinks and pastels either…I know this is really specific in questions but if anyone is willing to pass on some advice that might help me find a nice outfit for this weekend. I have an outing to go dancing at the club and the park stuff. If you have any words of wisdom post and thanks for reading :)

posted over 5 years ago
shadowplay_
Style_council
shadowplay_

Hmm, I think for larger girls a dress or skirt is always more flattering than pants of any sort. Clothes should fit well, not too tight or too loose.

A dress that cinches in at the waist with a nice flared skirt is flattering on most body shapes and will probably cover a larger tummy if it isn’t too tight :) Look for 50s styled dresses. Full skirts, if worn on the waist (but not too high up) will cover your tummy. About shoes, don’t worry, you don’t have to wear heels to look girly :) How about a cute pair of black ballet flats? This will go with many outfits.

For a bigger bust, I think V-necks are more flattering than any other type of neckline… anyway I can’t really think of much more advice at the moment (tired!), but I hope I helped you somewhat :) Good luck!

posted over 5 years ago

draco_182_2006
Style_council
draco_182_2006

Hey shadowplay_ Thanks for replying. I really do like the idea of black ballet flats. I think they will be easier to dance in as well. I never thought of the idea of 50s style dresses either. I swing dance and that would look great if I have something to got to. I will also look into the idea of a vneck. I am used to tshirts that do not do anything with that so it’s definately appreciated. I have embraced the idea of higher waist seams as well. Thanks for the advice and I hope you have a great week.

posted over 5 years ago

ThursdaysChild
Style_council
ThursdaysChild

I think shadowplay’s advice is excellent. Also – if you’re afraid of heels, you might want to try platforms and wedges… they give you the height and elongate the leg, w/o being hard to walk in. Seriously, they’re way comfortable.

I agree on the flared A-line skirt. the flare is forgiving on the thighs. definately remember to go fitted on top though. If you’re all flowy on top and bottom it’s kind of … tent-like. I would tuck in a well-fitted shirt into the skirt. It’ll accentuate your waist. I’m super self-conscious of my arms, so I find that a sleeve with a longer cut is more flattering, even when it’s a short sleeve shirt. As long as it’s fitted, not open and boxy like a t-shirt.

Have fun!

posted over 5 years ago

shadowplay_
Style_council
shadowplay_

I forgot to add stuff about colours – black and dark, solid colours are more flattering – eg navy. ThursdaysChild’s advice is good as well :) Definitely agree with the tent-like thing (through experience.) :( Haha. Anyway, you’re welcome :)

posted over 5 years ago

flattery
Style_icon
flattery

I’ve heard that wrap-dresses (example: http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B000LB53LO.01-A1CGO5UEXI2Z5O.SCLZZZZZZZ.jpg) are good because they draw the attention up away from the belly and to the bust as it ties directly under. I wouldn’t suggest a print though, unless you find a vertical-print, that might elongate the shape. As shadowplay_ said, dark colours works well. :)
I would say get something that hits just above the knee and wear wedges- so comfy! If you want to wear flats try slightly pointed ones, because that can make the leg line look longer.

posted over 5 years ago

calivintage
Style_icon
calivintage

i hope she doesn’t mind, but i absolutely love lydia’s fearless style. have you done the search by body type in the style gallery? it’s very helpful and i use it to find tips for dressing my body type.

posted over 5 years ago

cristinaraposa
Style_council
cristinaraposa

for me i think for curvy girls, one needs to wear empire waist to hide the tummy. Also you can also wear black skinny jeans (not too fit) then pair it up with an empire waist top. A black pair of skinny jeans could make your legs thinner and you can look taller. You can look at some of the celebrity who has the same body type as you, i really helps a lot!
Always remember what they said “if you have it flaunt it” accentuate or show your best asset but not too much. Learn how to emphasize it so the focal point when you wear an outfit would be on that asset. Me for example, i have broad shoulders, i go for tube tops and racer back tops.

Confidence is key! Always remember that! ;-)

posted about 5 years ago

draco_182_2006
Style_council
draco_182_2006

ThursdaysChild— I will agree, Tent=bad. I think the fitted idea on the top and flowy on the bottom is something that will work. I am wondering if there is a good brand that sells tops that are fitted but are forgiving? Finding something that flatters but doesn’t cling is hard. Thanks for the advice by the way. :) P.S. working on the t-shirt thing…old habits die hard. lol

shadowplay_ —Awesome! I’m doing something with the colors right then. I usually wear darker colors. My fave to wear is black. I also do more solids than prints. I am very careful about prints…how is plaid though? if the pattern is in darker colors does it make a difference?

flattery—lovely dress! I will say that I’m sinking into the idea of dresses. Moreso this summer than anything. I have been playing with the idea of the knee legnth…I wonder if though it might have an effect on my lower leg appearance… I’m very muscular on the bottom…Thanks for the link and be stylish :)

calivintage—cool link and nice pictures…I am not sure where to go for the search thingy…I’m new on the site and I think if I look hard enough I might find something…so far I only have the pictures with percentages that match mine…and I’m only in the 50% range…The link you gave me is great Thanks again.

cristinaraposa—I am going to look into this skinny jeans thing…Jeans and I are like best friends…Tops are nice for those too. I am a huge comfort person…I wonder if I could find a top that is like t-shirt comfy but still in the cut you suggest? I’m open to trying things. What color do I wear with that though? blues, greens and greys? Thanks for posting.

Thanks everyone for posting. I am really getting a good idea on what I can buy pieces in and build a collection that will make me happy. I am shooting for the possibility that most of the pieces work well together. I like low prep time and to still look good. This summer shall be about finding things that do just that. All of this has helped tons. Thanks again.

posted about 5 years ago

cristinaraposa
Style_council
cristinaraposa

Hey! i was kinda bored so i thought id help you out with some inspiration images from some celebrities.

Jordin Sparks: if you google her notice how she always wear empire cut dresses and tops. Never too tight on the upper body. She always wears a smile so its the first thing people notice.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/17663036@N04/2040312463/
http://www.blogcdn.com/www.tmz.com/media/2007/05/0523_jordin_sparks_getty.jpg
http://justjared.buzznet.com/headlines/2008/02/jordin-sparks-no-air-trl.jpg

Kelly Osbourne: Kelly wears black almost always and also black leggings and stockings. Remember that black makes us look thinner. Actually all solid color makes us look thinner so that means never wear prints. If not black you can wear something that goes with the same shades like grays, brown, dark blues..

http://www.starmagazin.cz/wp-content/uploads/kelly_osbourne_looksbad1.jpg
http://cm1.theinsider.com/media/0/69/43/sienna-miller-kelly-osbourne-1.m.jpg
http://vipphoto.ru/idata/9451-0.jpg

Tip: try to google for images of celebrities who share the same body type, you can get a lot of ideas from them.

;-)

posted about 5 years ago
REPLY TO DISCUSSION