Forum
SEARCH FORUM:
Facebook
Twitter
Googleplus
alialiali
Style_council
alialiali

Hey everyone, I have a question for all you cold-weather dwellers! I am going to be in New York City the week of January 3 – 10 and I need advice on what kind of coat to bring for this trip. I hear that it gets quite cold and I am a southern california native, so i’m a big wimp when in comes to cold weather. Would you recommend that I get a classic wool coat or a super warm down puffer? How does wool hold up in the rain/snow? I’d like to be warm and stylish at the same time, but I will sacrifice style if i need to!

Any other recommendations about what to bring/wear would be much appreciated!

posted about 5 years ago
geekbonchic
Style_council
geekbonchic

Wool, unless coated with Scotchgard or some other fabric protectant will absorb a lot of moisture and may even warp. However, it will stay relatively warm, so if you have a cheap jacket that you wear more for its warmth, don’t be afraid. A nylon puffer would probably be a bit more practical (and lightweight), especially if you aren’t used to dealing with cold.

posted about 5 years ago

New_user 32348 is new to Chictopia!

Make Her Feel Welcome with Chic Points
10 points - Become a fan
5 points - Vote her photos into the Style Gallery
1 point - Post a comment on her photos

When 32348 reaches 200 Chic Points, she will be in the Style Council!

i’m from cali too and i know the feeling. been to new york during winter break when i was in school and i say, invest in layers…turtlenecks, thermals, long underwear, thick socks, mittens, scarves…the whole nine yards. wool because it’s warm and it looks nice. i’m not a fan of puffers….if anything, i’d bring a raincoat to fight the snow/rain while wearing thick warm sweaters underneath.

posted about 5 years ago

ClothesHorse
Style_icon
ClothesHorse

Wool is awesome, because it’s classic and it is one of the only materials that still locks in warmth when wet. Puffers tend to be just bulky; unless you’re really doing a snow sport (sledding, skiing, etc) wool will get you through everything. And I agree with oyitsjess; layers!

posted about 5 years ago
REPLY TO DISCUSSION