Facebook
Twitter
Googleplus
New_user 9961 is new to Chictopia!

Make Her Feel Welcome with Chic Points
10 points - Become a fan
5 points - Vote her photos into the Style Gallery
1 point - Post a comment on her photos

When 9961 reaches 200 Chic Points, she will be in the Style Council!

I’ve seen in many a fashion magazine, girls and women wearing brown and black together. I always have it in my mind that I cannot do this. What pieces must match and what pieces do not have to match? I want to be able to bring myself to look into a mirror with a black something and a brown something and not have a breakdown.

posted almost 10 years ago
geekbonchic
Style_council
geekbonchic

It’s about proportion and balance. They’re both neutrals, so, in theory, you could mix and match them as you wish. Also, screw rules.

ClothesHorse
Style_icon
ClothesHorse

I agree with geekbonchic: proportion and balance. I think black garments (dresses/skirts/tights) with brown accessories (shoes/bags/belts) are an easy fix to wear both, or you could reverse the combination.

evie
Style_council
evie

Good advice here. But really… it’s a silly rule. Just wear this combo with conviction. If you like it, no one can tell you you’re wrong. :)

AlinaL
Style_council
AlinaL

i break that rule all the time, really its not a bad combo at all.

MichelleYue
Style_icon
MichelleYue

I have to say that the new tri-blend coffee color for American Apparel goes amazing with black :) But I am actually a huge fan of black and brown when the brown is in a small dosage at the right places.

frenchieee
Style_council
frenchieee

ditto to AlinaL

Nikki
Style_council
Nikki

I mix them all the time. Just make sure that the textures work and that it’s pleasing to your eye.
Sometimes when I wear inky blacks and browns, I wear something unexpected yet neutral to keep me from looking too dark, like my bright white Tory Burch flats.
The look also looks nice with gold, it warms the black :)
www.addbubblestotaste.com

posted over 9 years ago

MarlaSinger
Style_icon
MarlaSinger

i think it’s good to mix black and brown. i wore them together couple times. i think it depends how we put them together.

posted over 9 years ago

hhaak
Style_council
hhaak

i LOVE BLACK AND BROWN TOGETHERRR!!

i like to use black and brown prints most
like my black leather jacket has a brown lining with a flower print in black.
personally i think two blocks of the colour is too obvious. try layers of it. i.e. break up the colour combo with lines and levels etc… i think it even looks good with white.
hh

posted over 9 years ago

lachtuin
Style_council
lachtuin

Hmmm, I was just about to ask a similar question.

Will I be shot on sight if I walk out of the house with my brown leather ankle boots and a black leather bag?

posted over 9 years ago

hhaak
Style_council
hhaak

no lachtuin you can do it!
i think it would look weird only if you had higher boots on like a riding boot in brown. i dont even like wearing my black riding boots with my black leather jacket – too much.

hh

posted over 9 years ago

harleygrant
Style_council
harleygrant

This will probably make me VERY unpopular, but I totally agree: there is nothing I loathe the sight of more than black mixed with brown! Black is a smart colour whereas brown is an earth tone: they’re from completely different families for a start. The worst is when you see all black outfits with a brown bag or shoes, or vice versa – I think it just seems as though you don’t own anything that matches what you’re wearing.

The only exception is if you have a garment that incorporates the colours in itself – then the best option is to pick a lane and stick to it, so to speak.

Urgh I just personally don’t like it at all, but yes, stick to that gut instinct of yours!

posted over 9 years ago

Catherinee
Style_council
Catherinee

It’s okay to break the rules if you like how it looks.

posted over 9 years ago

New_user 25111 is new to Chictopia!

10 points - Become a fan

When 25111 reaches 200 Chic Points, she will be in the Style Council!

I think black looks great with tan brown accessories… but mixing dark browns with black can look very unsightly :/ If you know what you’re doing.. and you think it looks good, then go for it – but be careful! :)

posted over 9 years ago

New_user 25093 is new to Chictopia!

10 points - Become a fan

When 25093 reaches 200 Chic Points, she will be in the Style Council!

I never knew it was a no-no. I’v enever done it though as its not something i’m drawn to.
I’m sure its more than do-able. Just have to find a mix you’re happy with.

posted over 9 years ago

jehovahsfitness
Style_council
jehovahsfitness

Really dark brown doesn’t look good with black, but medium to lighter shades look great.

posted over 9 years ago
REPLY TO DISCUSSION