Forum
SEARCH FORUM:
Facebook
Twitter
Googleplus
allybell
Style_council
allybell

In essence, I have an incredibly awkward Saturday night ahead. It is one of my best friend’s leaving parties, so I can’t really skip it. Having said that, my ex boyfriend will be there, after an incredibly messy break up. The two guys I’ve dated since my ex will also be there. All three ended on bad terms, and I’m finally feeling pretty confident about being single…but I have no idea what to wear. The friend who’s party it is is a guy, and there will be heaps more guys than girls, so I don’t want to look too desperate or easy. I do want to do that cliched look-what-you-are-missing thing, though. Probably a flats rather than heels event, as outdoors and quite casual. Also, I’m broke, so need to work with stuff I’m already likely to have :P
Help?

posted almost 4 years ago
lalalahoppx
Style_council
lalalahoppx

Vintage looking halter bustier dress
Flats
:)

Catherinee
Style_council
Catherinee

I’d go for heels, jeans, and a flattering top. Works.

PeachyPanda
Style_council
PeachyPanda

what looks good on you? wear something that you know is figure flattering and sexy but not too try-hard. dark wash skinnies with flats and an eye-catching top (sequins, beading, cinching, etc) will turn heads. i don’t necessarily agree with buky, flats are effortlessly sexy.

JUKILOVE
Style_council
JUKILOVE

Just remember that confidence is the sexiest thing!

boredstephanie
Style_council
boredstephanie

heels may make you look sexy but if everyone else is dresses really casual, it will definitely look like you are trying too hard. Just go for something sexy but still casual. maybe wedges would be a good in-between flats and heels because they will elongate your legs but are more casual than heels.

opfiend
Style_council
opfiend

I like the heels with jeans and a flattering top idea!

ThatLaurenGirl
Style_council
ThatLaurenGirl

if you’re going to wear jeans, i think you can balance it with some nice heels.

irisanddaniel
Style_icon
irisanddaniel

If it’s a mostly casual-guys setting, I would say heels seem like an overkill. There are a lot of different flat options (boots, brogues, oxfords, ballet flats) that are a modern and chic option as long as you pair it with a good outfit. Even with jeans, I think heels at a casual place seem a bit out of place.

For the outfit, wear something light and casual that you will be comfortable in, but make sure it’s dressy enough so that you don’t feel out of place at a party setting. Wearing some menswear/boyfriend-style pieces would probably work out nicely as long as you balance them with some more feminine pieces. Since you said you don’t want to look like you are trying too hard, that’s probably the best way to go.

Reybeltane
Style_council
Reybeltane

go for something that looks like what you usually wear. the last thing you want to do is catch they’re attention negatively. I was out somewhere with a new boyfriend who had recently broken up with another girl (who I didn’t know). She showed up to the event, though, in a mini denim halter dress and red platform heels with tons of makeup on. She was flirting with my boyfriend all night and it made him totally uncomfortable and glad he broke up with her! so you’re right, don’t get too sexy, and don’t do something you wouldn’t normally do! If it’s casual, then you can wear flats. If you’re a dressy girl, wear a nice dress, if you prefer jeans, wear some jeans and a nice top. Perhaps ask what any of the other girls that may show up are wearing so you don’t stand out, but look nice.

REPLY TO DISCUSSION