Forum
SEARCH FORUM:
Facebook
Twitter
Googleplus
Kellyn
Style_council
Kellyn

Two of my good friends from college are getting married this summer. (They met in college, fell in love and the rest is history.) The wedding is in mid-July.

I need a dress for this wedding. I am looking for something that will be unique and fun, retro or vintage inspired. My price range is around or under (preferably under, given this economy) $200. I need suggestions, please.

I’d really like my dress to work with my new hair cut and it’s current color: my cut is fairly short (pixie style, kind of a Rachel Maddow length) and the color is red… not a natural ginger color, but rather a deep maroon. What color would complement my hair?

Thanks in advance.

posted about 5 years ago
nobutterfly
Shop_seller_2 nobutterfly is a Chictopia seller who has been hand-picked by our editors to sell merchandise on our website.

Chictopia sellers carry fashion forward products and ensure great customer experience. Click here if you are interested in selling your merchandise on Chictopia.
nobutterfly

I swear by eBay.
A good approach is to
1- go on bluefly.com, net-a-porter.com, and shopbop.com
2- see what styles and names you’re into.
3- use the styles and brand names as your search kewords on ebay
4- place price limits on your ebay search

posted about 5 years ago

foxhuntvintage
Style_council
foxhuntvintage

why not go vintage? it’s always the best bet for something unique. I love shift dresses from the 60’s – they’re tailored to fit your curves, but are demure enough to be appropriate for a wedding, and can always be punched up with some dramatic jewellry. Usually i can find them in stores for around $60 – how’s the vintage shopping where you are?

As for the color, I’d suggest aubergine or a deep warm purple, kelly green, or a golden yellow (depending on your skin tone).

I’ve got a robin’s egg blue shift dress from the 50’s – not up in the shop yet, but if you wanted to take a look I could send you some pics – message me! I’d probably sell it for $54.

good luck!

posted about 5 years ago

splashofcolour
Style_council
splashofcolour

I agree with foxhuntvintage for colours, I always associate warm shades of purple and green (like emerald or forest green) as colours that look good with red hair.
You should go into a shop that sells lots of different colour clothes and try a bunch of colours on to get a feel for what colours you think will suit both your hair and skin type (because though one colour could work great with your hair it could be not so great for your skin).

As for stores selling dresses, I think French Connection has a great selection this summer. They have a large selection of colours, cuts, lengths, styles etc. and some of them are really beautiful.

posted about 5 years ago

shadowplay_
Style_council
shadowplay_

Dark, bright colours such as royal blue, emerald green, or purple, as others have said. How about modcloth.com? They always have heaps of cute dresses :)

posted about 5 years ago

Galadriel
New_user Galadriel is new to Chictopia!

Make Her Feel Welcome with Chic Points
10 points - Become a fan
5 points - Vote her photos into the Style Gallery
1 point - Post a comment on her photos

When Galadriel reaches 200 Chic Points, she will be in the Style Council!
Galadriel

Anything dark color would do, as well as a very light dusty rose color. You can find dress stores near you on Gathering Guide; http://www.gatheringguide.com/ and hopefully see one you like there.

posted over 3 years ago
REPLY TO DISCUSSION