Forum
SEARCH FORUM:
Facebook
Twitter
Googleplus
Lambs
Style_council
Lambs

So, in a desperate search of a summer job, I’ve decided to just spend a day in the city and go in to all the little shops and apply..Question is, what do I wear?
I’ll be doing a lot of walking, and it’s starting to get warmer and warmer these days.
I feel like dress pants/blazer would be too dressy. I have 1 good pair of dark jeans, but I normally wear dresses and skirts. Any help?

posted over 3 years ago
Lambs
Style_council
Lambs

Thanks for the post! I’ll definitely keep the blazer in mind, and according to the weather it’s supposed to be cool on friday, so the jeans will work

posted over 3 years ago

MiuSan
Style_council
MiuSan

Why would a dress or a skirt be a nono?
A cute work appropriate dress/skirt is okay!
Little shops are usually less corporate and actually look for ppl with confidence and edge, with a hands-on attitude. Of course I have no idea what kinds of places you will be going to…I just assume it’s boutiques and not offices?

posted over 3 years ago

PeachyPanda
Style_council
PeachyPanda

i agree with miusan. Don’t put a dress or skirt out of the question. I’m assuming you are applying to clothing stores/boutiques, in that case you will want to show that you are fashionable, understand fashion through what you wear, and that you can represent the shop accurately. This last part will be difficult since you will be going to various shops in one day so i would suggest wearing something basic and then punching it up with a statement item which could be colorful shoes, a statement necklace, or a very interesting top you have.

posted over 3 years ago

Lambs
Style_council
Lambs

Yup, mostly botiques, and little shops downtown. I didn’t want to rule skirts and dresses out because that’s what I mostly wear and feel comfortable in anyway. Thanks guys!

posted over 3 years ago

tightsandtea
Style_council
tightsandtea

I don’t think there’s anything wrong with skirts, as long as you’re not showing too much leg—it would be just as informal as a pair of jeans anyway. If you want to wear a particular skirt and you’re iffy about the length, wear tights underneath.
I’m sure you were going to, but bring a folder with printouts of your resume—some places (especially small boutiques) don’t have application forms and expect you to provide a resume.

good luck with the job hunt! I’m trying to get my friend a job, and together we’ve applied to over 100 places for her in the past three months. She’s had two unsuccessful interviews. We both attend a top university, but because she focused on school, she has no job experience and it’s biting her in the a** now :(.

If you need help with a quick cover letter, I can try to help you. I remember doing the same thing maybe four years ago, and the snooty, high-end boutiques requested a cover letter too (not that I bothered or wanted to work there lol)

posted over 3 years ago

tightsandtea
Style_council
tightsandtea

oo I love the lisa work dress!

posted over 3 years ago
REPLY TO DISCUSSION