Forum
SEARCH FORUM:
Facebook
Twitter
Googleplus
tightsandtea
Style_council
tightsandtea

I was just curious what the target age range was for some of the more popular fashion magazines? I want to subscribe to some, but don’t want to end up something geared for conservative, 50-year-old women. So basically, how old are you and what magazines do you take inspiration from?
I’m currently subscribed to Marie Claire, but only because a friend got it for me—it doesn’t interest me at all, and I’ve much outgrown the teen fashion in Seventeen..

Amazon.com has a sale on Harper’s Bazaar, but I literally know nothing about it. Do any of your subscribe and love/hate it?

posted almost 3 years ago
KarenKay
New_user KarenKay is new to Chictopia!

Make Her Feel Welcome with Chic Points
10 points - Become a fan
5 points - Vote her photos into the Style Gallery
1 point - Post a comment on her photos

When KarenKay reaches 200 Chic Points, she will be in the Style Council!
KarenKay

Idk exactly how old you are but I’m betting we’re in the same age range. My personal taste in magazines are ones that have to do with a lot of pop culture rather than just strictly fashion (the only magazine I get regularly that I actually read is Entertainment Weekly, for example), so take my advice with a grain of salt I guess.

I subscribe to Elle, Vogue, W (and used to subscribe to Interview, just never got around to resubscribing), which are all good although the interviews and articles are admittedly not very relevant to my life.

You could try Nylon and Teen Vogue, both seem really great and I’d get a subscription myself if I had the money!

CutCopyPaste
Style_council
CutCopyPaste

My personal favourite is WWD.

_ReD_LiPsTiCk_
Style_council
_ReD_LiPsTiCk_

Harper’s Bazaar to me is nice to look at the high fashion pictures but I didnt get inspiration from it. I buy magazines to get inspiration for a lot of my looks. So I think it depends on what your purpose is with the magazine.

trishayluvbieber
Style_council
trishayluvbi...

seventeen, people style watch,glamour

OnTheGanges
Style_council
OnTheGanges

If you can find a store that sells a wide range of fashion mags (I’d suggest hitting Barnes & Noble, or the equivilent to where ever you’re living) then I’d suggest stopping in and taking some time to skim through the ones that appeal to you. Then you’ll know exactly what you’re looking for in a magazine. (This is an opinion from someone who doesn’t read magazines, so…)

OmniDimensional
Style_council
OmniDimensional

I like harpers bazaar but i feel like i cannot relate or get into it because most of the clothing featured is high end designer labels, which most cannot afford. It really all depends on what you are interested in reading. You may have to look around and see which one interests you the most. So like what everyone else said, look around and see which one catches your eye the most! Start out online. One magazine i will suggest is Nylon. It is all about fashion and it is age appropriate haha

staystitching
Style_council
staystitching

i like allure and vogue

ThePageStaysBlank
Style_council
ThePageStays...

This really comes down to you’re style as much as your age. It’s taken me about year of picking a few magazines to really know what to expect from each one. Some magazines like Elle, Nylon and Teen Vogue show a sharper or more vibrant style whereas Vogue and Harpers Bazaar show the more High Fashion side of style. Take some time to riffle through them and decide which ones you tend to pick up a lot. Don’t limit yourself either. Every now and then I pick up GQ or Details just for fun. And if you want to splurge, pick up the British edition of Elle or Vogue Paris.

When you do find a magazine that you want to buy more than three times a year, subscribe! It’s cheaper to pay fifteen dollars for a year of Vogue than four dollars an issue.

Izacouto
Style_council
Izacouto

I like to buy Vogue of many countries, well, the ones I can find here. Vogue has a more conceptual theme, but some editorials have really “wearable” looks.

notsohum
Style_council
notsohum

I don’t read American Vogue but British and Paris Vogue are really good magazines.

trinnah
Style_council
trinnah

I get the People Style Watch because they always have sections with affordable fashion and where to buy it. They also put discount codes. :)

yaniebee
Style_council
yaniebee

if youre in your 20’s a good look is nylon which shows art and literature plus it has a drink of the month. it’s perfect because it’s not all teeny bop like seventeen but it’s not an overload like
bazaar . its the perfect balance but you’re going to be in the industry, i suggest you read it all just like me so u can learn all apects of the biz. otherwise like i said nylon magazine is the way 2 go :)

LUVAct101
Style_council
LUVAct101

Elle and vogue are always really good, cosmopolitan and glamour are prob best for what your looking for!

illq
Style_council
illq

I think it all depends on what you want to get out of the magazines you read. Do you want to find inspiration from it and use some of their styles to incorporate into your outfit or find the latest fashion trends. I suggest taking your time and fish through magazines in bookstores to find one that suits your taste the best. No one knows you better than you do, so I think that would help a lot better. Hope this helped! (:

REPLY TO DISCUSSION