SEARCH FORUM:
Facebook
Twitter
Googleplus
KatHeart
Style_council
KatHeart

2012 Fashion – Creative or CopyCat?
Lately, the fashion of 2010 and up has become a mix of past generation’s fashion ideas with a few new things thrown in here and there. (skinny jeans with 40’s grandma shoes; plaid shirts with 50’s head scarfs; “vintage effects” on instagram pics) Is the world finally realizing it was a mistake to forget old classics or are our fashion senses running out of ideas?
Opinions encouraged…

posted about 2 years ago
catiebeatty
Forum_moderator
catiebeatty

It’s been that way for years, centuries even. The styles of Regency England (early 1800s), for instance, we’re based on the styles of ancient Greece. I wouldn’t call it copying, though, I would call it reinventing or reinterpreting.

posted about 2 years ago

Cephaela
Style_council
Cephaela

I agree with Caties, reinventing or drawing inspiration from.
Consider how you can’t actually wear the ACTUAL 60s dress and such.
I realized this when I was at Goodwill, tried something on, and was like, Woah… really not stylish. I think this is actually an ORIGINAL from that time era…

and considered the differences. Some things just are really outdated, but drawing what we like from those time periods, recreates things that we can enjoy in modern times.

I do also think that we should start moving towards things that haven’t been done yet though. I love looking at movies that take place in the future, because there’s such wacky things that could potentially be stylish with gradual change.

posted about 2 years ago

Vintageholic
Style_council
Vintageholic

Trends come and go, every year is actually a copycat.

posted about 2 years ago

tightsandtea
Style_council
tightsandtea

agree with catiebeatty. things are always reinterpreted, but only so far—no one’s going to wear grecian robes or victorian gowns, although fashion might draw inspiration from drapery and brocades. ‘old classics’ is extremely subjective in that it encompasses a few silhouettes from ~30 years out of the thousands of years we’ve worn clothes lol.

high fashion is usually innovative, but there’s a reason street style doesn’t always translate—people wear clothes that flatter and don’t take 2 hours to put on. I laugh any time I see a movie set in the future where normal people are clad in space-age costumes, or over-the-top ornate clothes. street-style will never be like Hunger Games or The Jetsons.

posted about 2 years ago

nazlay
Style_council
nazlay

cool

posted about 2 years ago

amorphous_face
Style_council
amorphous_face

I guess copy cat. I guess if they really do come out with the idea that clothes are impregnated with scent then that will be original. I have read about this before.
I assume that the perm will never come back into style since it was such a disaster the first time around. I wonder if men will ever wear white wigs again.

posted about 2 years ago
REPLY TO DISCUSSION